Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Best way to remove music from iPod w/o iTunes

benos

Since my girlfriends Mac was stolen yesterday - we need to her her music off her iPod. If she lost her music I'd have a crazy woman on my hands.

A google search turns up quite a few free apps. So I was wondering if anyone has any experience/advice on which one might be the best.

I used one a long time ago, so long I can't remember its name. And it was a tad not so user friendly/buggy.

Thank you,

be

Forgive me for asking but why does she need to delete here iPod songs ?

Sorry I wasn't clear. She doesn't want to delete them. The only place her music is is on her iPod. And they're not the stablest of creatures. So I want to copy her music onto a drive for safekeeping until I can get her another Mac going.

be

i had the opposite occur-my daughter left her ipod on a plane, so plugging in a new one to a mac, all is well. i would be you can do the opposite. worst case, switch the ipod to target disk mode turning it into a hard disk. then transfers the files back into itunes. something like that.

anyway, read this-it explains everything...

http://www.ilounge.com/index.php/articles/...-to-computer/P0

Edited by outerlimits

Since my girlfriends Mac was stolen yesterday - we need to her her music off her iPod. If she lost her music I'd have a crazy woman on my hands.

A google search turns up quite a few free apps. So I was wondering if anyone has any experience/advice on which one might be the best.

I used one a long time ago, so long I can't remember its name. And it was a tad not so user friendly/buggy.

Thank you,

be

If the iPod is up to date-just plug it into a new Mac that has the same Mac ID (the itunes name) the the old computer had and the program (iTunes) will ask if you want to download the songs that are not on the new Mac or not. If it does not ask you to transfer the songs, exit out and call Apple to explain what happened and they will explain how to put the music back on the new Mac. If it is an old iPod(one that can not use the latest iteration of software) I would take it to a real Apple store and let the Genius Bar people do it. Good luck. Happens not uncommonly. There are no more DRM issues with Apple. A few artists have DRM issues.

i had the opposite occur-my daughter left her ipod on a plane, so plugging in a new one to a mac, all is well. i would be you can do the opposite. worst case, switch the ipod to target disk mode turning it into a hard disk. then transfers the files back into itunes. something like that.

Brian,

I've successfully used this method for both a Mac and a PC - Both were necessary when the computers crashed. The method that Apple recommends using the iTunes restore process only restores songs that were purchased from the iTunes Store (not music ripped from CDs or other music sources). If you have any problems, I'll be glad to walk through the process with you.

Good Luck!

Scott

I've used this service twice due to similar circumstances. There is a fee but I thought it was worth it. I xfered a couple thousand songs (My own and Itunes purchased) with minimal music loss. Sometimes you don't get all the bells and whistles on the free services that may be useful in the restoration process.

Here is a comparison of iPod managers

Both are killer - thanks!

(I wouludn't a thunka wikipedia!)

be

I have an iPod transfer going now to a desktop folder now with iPod Viewer. It will also transfer Playlists. It looks like the app has been highly improved since the last time I used it on a friend's laptop.

be

Thanks Dave.

I'm still not sure, and won't be until we get her a new computer and dump the music files into iTunes on it, if iPod Viewer got all the songs.

When iPod Viewer was extracting the songs, it displayed -

8296 songs, 58,942,417.3 years, 36.9 GB

But when I double click the folder the music is in, it says 7,055 items. That's a pretty big discrepancy.

I'm skeptical of iPod Viewer's accuracy. This is silly: 58,942,417.3 years

That's a lot of years, even for 8,000 songs!

My iTunes has 5,000 songs, and it says "16 days."

be

• 3 weeks later...

I confirmed that the iPod Viewer app somehow didn't get over 1000 of her songs.

So screw the third party app method.

Just experimented with the Terminal, "turn on invisible files" command (in the article in Butch's link) - it's the shit. Drag and drop - get 'em all.

The only disadvantage to using Terminal is you can't get Playlists. And she just one so it's no big deal.

be

I confirmed that the iPod Viewer app somehow didn't get over 1000 of her songs.

So screw the third party app method.

Just experimented with the Terminal, "turn on invisible files" command (in the article in Butch's link) - it's the shit. Drag and drop - get 'em all.

The only disadvantage to using Terminal is you can't get Playlists. And she just one so it's no big deal.

be

If you want all the files and make sure you get them all, then terminal is the way to go.

As you said, however, it will not get the playlists.

Senuti, will.

If you hunt enough.. or ask some of your BE members.. you can find previous versions that were free.

Yea, Dave Re told me that too. Since she only has one playlist - and I have that playlist in my iTunes too - Terminal is the way to go.

This thread will be a nice resource for folks down the road.

Thanks everyone.

be

• 4 years later...

If you have your iPod set to automatically sync with your iTunes library, then just right-click the song you wish to remove and click "delete" (and click "move to recycling bin" after). Of it goes into cyberspace. If you don't want to permanently delete iPod music, then uncheck it.

If you have your iPod set to manually manage your music, then you will need to plug your iPod into your computer. Then click "Music" under the iPod icon on iTunes (there may be an arrow hiding all the divisions of your iPod, but click it so it faces downwards). When all your songs are displayed, do the same thing I said above. It will no longer be on your iPod, but it will still be on your iTunes.

Hope I was of help

Edited by coolisonkeny