Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

What is your pet 9mm load?

tomfturner

My all time favorite was:

147 gr. precision delta (or other similar copper jacketed bullet)

IMR 4756 @ 4.7 gr.

COL: 1.100"

WSP primers

Good case fill (can't double charge), clean and accurate out of my Glock 34. Soft shooting with a 132-134 Pf rating. The most interesting thing is that it had almost no muzzle flash in a low light setting. And I seriously mean "almost no muzzle flash". Had everyone talking at lowlight/no light stages I've shot. But late last season I got a new 8lb keg of it that shot horribly! Over 100 fps swings in velocity with weighed/trickled charges, consistant case head stamps, etc. And I couldn't find a lot number sticker or marking on the keg so I could avoid it in the future.

After that I went back to:

147 Precision Delta

Hodgon Universal Clays @ 3.6 gr.

WSP primers

Clean and pretty accurate as well as fairly temp. stable. ~ 133-134 Pf

Lately I've been experimenting with this load:

147gr. Montana Gold CMJ

Alliant e3 @ 3.3 gr.

WSP primers

Very clean and soft shooting at 132-133 pf. Good case fill again and seems accurate with low SDs. However it's somewhat temperature unstable so try a pound before buying in bulk. I threw some rounds up on the car dashboard on a sunny day to get them VERY hot to the touch. They Averaged about 45 fps slower than a control sample at an ambient 80F. That puts a 133 PF load dangerously close to subminor for my tastes. I may bump the load a little to be safe.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

• Replies 206
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

All very interesting but what strikes me is the near lack of lead bullet info. Why so many more plated / jacketed loads? I understand that plated / jacketed runs cleaner. Is it just that simple? Times being what they are I've stocked up on 115/124/147 grain lead bullets. Of course I can find load data from several sources but I'm curious what this band of infidels finds productive.

All very interesting but what strikes me is the near lack of lead bullet info. Why so many more plated / jacketed loads? I understand that plated / jacketed runs cleaner. Is it just that simple? Times being what they are I've stocked up on 115/124/147 grain lead bullets. Of course I can find load data from several sources but I'm curious what this band of infidels finds productive.

I changed to plated because my hands were getting dirty, too much smoke on the indoor range and on a night shoot, with little to no breeze, I couldn't see the targets. Plus the guns are easier to clean.

Yes, it's just that simple.

160 cast lead bullet with 2.9 of Solo1000. Shot from STI Trojan in 9mm with 10lb recoil spring and 14lb mainspring. Winchester Small Pistol Primers. OAL 1.135 soft shooting and accurate lot of bearing surface on the bullet.

Solo 1000 varies from lot to lot and is effected by temp. be sure and Chrono your load. Solo 1000 slows down when hot so ammo loaded in the winter may be short in the summer. Pain to meter, light flake powder. I polished the inside of the powder funnel to help stop bridging.

Bullet - 124 grain Montana Gold JHP (I use these for my .38 Super Major loads as well.)

Powder - 3.8 grains of Universal Clays...good steel load

OAL - 1.135 inches

Crimp - 0.377 inches

Primer - Federal Small Pistol

Velocity - 1030- 1050 with a 5" barrel

Power Factor - about 130

Bullet -- 135gr Bear Creek

Powder -- 4.0grs WST

Primer -- CCI SP

Case -- Mixed Headstamp

OAL -- 1.150 (fired from CZ SP01 Shadow)

Velocity -- 960fps

PF -- 130

Runs like a top with my 11lb recoil spring and 13lb mainspring.

Accuracy is good also.