Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

What is your pet 9mm load?

tomfturner

147gr/VV N310

Grains?

OAL?

...lol probably FP's at around 3.1grs of powder with a PF near 950fps exiting from a 5'' barrel. :)

OAL on the N310 load should probably be no shorter than 1.15, better closer to 1.16 if your gun can handle a long OAL.

• Replies 206
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

147gr/VV N310

Grains?

OAL?

...lol probably FP's at around 3.1grs of powder with a PF near 950fps exiting from a 5'' barrel. :)

OAL on the N310 load should probably be no shorter than 1.15, better closer to 1.16 if your gun can handle a long OAL.

i load mine(shadow) with 3.1grs at 1.105 coal with no signs of pressure, good for around 950 fps,but with this fast powder it's better starting around 2.9-3.0grs a make your way up from there...

i load mine(shadow) with 3.1grs at 1.105 coal with no signs of pressure, good for around 950 fps,but with this fast powder it's better starting around 2.9-3.0grs a make your way up from there...

That OAL is the absolute minimum for a 147gr. Gold Dot hollow point according to CCI Speer tech support they use 1.120 plus or minus 15 thousandths. I had to send some rounds back to manufacturer because they were under 1.105 oal.

You won't see pressure signs with straight-walled pistol cases until you are way over pressure, or too late.

That being said I load mine with 4.6 of 3n37, at 1.160 plus or minus 4 thousandths oal, for a power factor of 136, with a SD of 9.89.

That OAL is the absolute minimum for a 147gr. Gold Dot hollow point according to CCI Speer tech support they use 1.120 plus or minus 15 thousandths. I had to send some rounds back to manufacturer because they were under 1.105 oal.

You won't see pressure signs with straight-walled pistol cases until you are way over pressure, or too late.

That being said I load mine with 4.6 of 3n37, at 1.160 plus or minus 4 thousandths oal, for a power factor of 136, with a SD of 9.89.

primers flattened, crattered,case badly bulged at the base are signs of overpressure we're looking after when testing .

VV310 +anything over 90gr bullit :rolleyes: .as there is no existing data in any book ,i had to guess and see from the first hand data collected from many experienced reloaders/shooters of this site...wich i'm glad i did.

...and on top of that,reming you the shadow show a very short chamber, over 1.120 it defenatly touch the riffling.....then, knowing this factor + a very fast propellant(vv310) wich you cant get any confirmed data coming with= a good recipe for flying parts ,wich doesn't mean nothing can be done safely :devil:

another point of view here :devil: .vihtauori stipulate a oal of 1.142 for all their 9mm loads (from 3.8 to 4.2) with the vv340/147 HP combo..... :wacko: for my CZ i just cant load this coal, all left is reducing the minmum powder charge of like 0.2-0.3 grs for the significantly shortened COAL.

VV310/147grs :ph34r: .....,when you cant find any reliable tested data, the correct approach is going with the correct oal for your own barrel first, then work a load from a safe starting point , generaly a little under the MIN LOAD suggested for similar powders showing the same burning rate .

If you are running a CZ set up with a short chamber.....Why not have the gunsmith open up the chamber leade with a reamer....it is a ten minute fix and you will be able to run ammo as long as it will fit in the magazine and feed reliably? I don't have one of these guns, so you may not be able to do that. Just a thought....

DougC

If you are running a CZ set up with a short chamber.....Why not have the gunsmith open up the chamber leade with a reamer....it is a ten minute fix and you will be able to run ammo as long as it will fit in the magazine and feed reliably? I don't have one of these guns, so you may not be able to do that. Just a thought....

DougC

Since I didn't see any Accurate Powders mentioned...

I like 7.7gr of AA #7 behind a 124gr Montana Gold HP and 5.9gr of AA #5 with said MG 124gr HP.

I also have had good luck with 5.1gr of WSF behind a 124gr Montana Gold HP and 5.5gr of Silhouette behind the MG 124gr HP.

Still my love is with VV 320.

primers flattened, crattered,case badly bulged at the base are signs of overpressure we're looking after when testing .

VV310 +anything over 90gr bullit :rolleyes: .as there is no existing data in any book ,i had to guess and see from the first hand data collected from many experienced reloaders/shooters of this site...wich i'm glad i did.

...and on top of that,reming you the shadow show a very short chamber, over 1.120 it defenatly touch the riffling.....then, knowing this factor + a very fast propellant(vv310) wich you cant get any confirmed data coming with= a good recipe for flying parts ,wich doesn't mean nothing can be done safely :devil:

another point of view here :devil: .vihtauori stipulate a oal of 1.142 for all their 9mm loads (from 3.8 to 4.2) with the vv340/147 HP combo..... :wacko: for my CZ i just cant load this coal, all left is reducing the minmum powder charge of like 0.2-0.3 grs for the significantly shortened COAL.

VV310/147grs :ph34r: .....,when you cant find any reliable tested data, the correct approach is going with the correct oal for your own barrel first, then work a load from a safe starting point , generaly a little under the MIN LOAD suggested for similar powders showing the same burning rate .

Acccording to QL, your combo makes in excess of 50000PSI.

Are you using CCI primers? Cuz waiting for CCI primers to flatten will land you in the hospital.

I've found VV very responsive to requests for load information contained in their reloading books. Contact them via e-mail and ask about N310 and ask.

147 MG

3.6 gr WST

1.147"

Glock 34

3.4 gr was questionable for cycling weak hand only with an intentional loose grip. These feel much better. No pressure signs. I need to find a friend with a chrono to see but I'm betting on ~135 pf.

Edited by 5early

• 1 month later...

DougC

My M&P is the exact same way regarding length.

I load to 1.120" as a result. That's as long as I can load with the 147s and not hit the rifling.

DougC

My M&P is the exact same way regarding length.

I load to 1.120" as a result. That's as long as I can load with the 147s and not hit the rifling.

If any of my weapons had a short chamber like that I'd either use a different bullet or have the chamber reamed a bit. Short loading can cause many powders to be very unpredictable, a situation that scares the heck out of me.

Sal

3.7gr of N320

MG 147gr CMJ

WSP

Starline brass

1.125"

S&W M&P Pro with factory barrel and Storm Lake barrel

Avg Vel: 935fps (half a dozen different days)

Avg PF: 137 (same number of days)

The lowest I've seen has been 135PF, and highest just shy of 139PF. I also tested FSP primers, with no change in avg velocity. This has been extremely consistent, sometimes getting an SD down into the 4s. I also tested from a low of about 18*F to a high of maybe 85*F with little to no obvious change in PF (aside from normal variation between strings). It was roughly the same PF in my buddy's G17, and a point or two higher in his G34. I've also tried other brass (FC, GFL, Win, etc) and didn't see any major change.

I've also loaded this with Precision Delta 147gr FMJ-TC, Zero 147gr FMJ and Zero 147gr JHPs....all work fine, with slight differences in velocity based on different case capacity used, but nothing significant. Zero 147gr JHPs were the most accurate (1.25" at 25yds) with the MG 147gr CMJ close behind (under 2"), and much easier to get. R,

++ on getting the chamber reamed out a little. It's cheap, fast, and easy. If you're like me, you will spend more than the $30.00 cost of getting the chamber reamed in experimenting with loads that are on the edge of too short for the bullet/powder combinations we like to use. And it is cheap insurance to help avoid overpressure issues.

• 4 weeks later...

This link may be helpful:

http://www.reloadingroom.com/index_files/Measure%20Pressure.htm

Has anybody gotten a chance to make up a Ramshot Competition load yet?

That's an intriguing powder. I only have Silhouette on my nearer term to-try list.

Out of a gov. model Springfield 1911 in 9mm

Bullet Powder Primer OAL Crimp

115 gr CMJ MG 4.4 gr N320 Federal M 1.157 0.376 avg. 1106 ft/sec. PF - 127

115 gr CMJ MG 4.5 gr N320 Federal M 1.156 0.376 avg. 1125 ft/sec. PF - 129

115 gr CMJ MG 4.6 gr N320 Federal M 1.156 0.376 avg. 1160 ft/sec. PF - 133

Out of a Glock 19

115 gr CMJ MG 3.9 gr N320 Federal 1.155 0.376 avg. 1032 ft/sec PF - 118

115 gr CMJ MG 4.0 gr N320 Federal 1.155 0.376 avg. 1035 ft/sec PF - 119

115 gr CMJ MG 4.1 gr N320 Federal 1.155 0.376 avg. 1050 ft/sec. PF - 120

115 gr CMJ MG 4.2 gr N320 Federal 1.155 0.376 avg. 1065 ft/sec. PF - 122

115 gr CMJ MG 4.3 gr N320 Federal 1.155 0.376 avg. 1098 ft/sec. PF - 126

115 gr CMJ MG 4.4 gr N320 Federal 1.155 0.376 avg. 1121 ft/sec. PF - 129 Most accurate of the load

115 gr CMJ MG 4.5 gr N320 Federal 1.155 0.376 avg. 1133 ft/sec. PF - 130

Using Tite group out of a Glock 19 (when I can not find N320)

115 gr CMJ MG 4.2 gr TG Federal 1.155 0.376 avg. 1119 ft/sec. PF - 128

I thought titegroup was very similar to N320 but a double charge of TG would not overflow the case. So for safety I chose N320.

Disclaimer: Please use these numbers for comparison only. Double check with multiple sources and work loads up slowly checking for signs of overpressure.

That sir is an outstandingly helpful, detailed post. Thanks for sharing.

Edited by Dannix

I worked up multiple loads with 125 and 147g bullets with Competition and did not find any great loads (accuracy wise) and had to load over the max load given to me by Western Powders just to make 125 PF out of my 9mm Spartan and Springfield 1911. I am using it for plinking loads in my 40 now.

I've been scanning this thread to see if I could compile some ideas for a working up a new 9mm minor load for my Beretta 92FS.

Looks like the two most common powders are Titegroup and N320 (I think I'll try N320 if I can find it). I'll be using CCI small pistol primers and Rainier Leadsafe 124 gr Plated Hollow Points. I'll post the load when I get it worked up.

Thanks for all the ideas everyone!

-Tim

• 2 weeks later...

After that I went back to:

147 Precision Delta

Hodgon Universal Clays @ 3.6 gr.

COL: 1.100"

WSP primers

Clean and pretty accurate as well as fairly temp. stable. ~ 133-134 Pf

What data did you base that load on? It's 0.3gr beyond what Hodgdon publishes as max load for 147gr. I've read that Lyman previously published a 147gr max load of either 3.5 or 3.7gr (can't remember which, and don't have that manual). I haven't been able to find any other data suggesting it's safe to load 147gr with more than 3.3gr Universal.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

I've been scanning this thread to see if I could compile some ideas for a working up a new 9mm minor load for my Beretta 92FS.

Looks like the two most common powders are Titegroup and N320 (I think I'll try N320 if I can find it). I'll be using CCI small pistol primers and Rainier Leadsafe 124 gr Plated Hollow Points. I'll post the load when I get it worked up.

-Tim

I am reading the short chamber of the CZs and wonder about the 92FS. I have a Beretta 92FS and I have tried OAL out to 1.166 without hitting the rifling. How you checked for max OAL?

PS: My current load is 5.3g Power Pistol, 124g FMJ Zero bullet, 0.376" crimp, an OAL of 1.158" (the high end of factory ammo), velocity 1,050 FPS and PF of 130. I loaded 1.140". 1.150" and 1.162" to see if I could find a more accurate OAL. I also lightened the crimp to 0.378".

• 2 weeks later...

115gr JRN Precision Delta

5.9gr Silhouette

1.148 OAL

Work up at your own risk. It's a tack driver when I do my part. Based on D. Manley's info, so thanks and credit to him.

Eight rounds, 15yrds:

load15yards.th.jpg

Edited by Dannix

-Tim

I am reading the short chamber of the CZs and wonder about the 92FS. I have a Beretta 92FS and I have tried OAL out to 1.166 without hitting the rifling. How you checked for max OAL?

Take a few empty fired cases and find one you can push a bullet into with just light pressure and just start the bullet into the case. With the barrel out of the gun gently lower the round into the barrel and push it fully in until it is fully chambered. Now gently remove the round and measure it. Do that a few time to ensure you get a repeatable accurate result and the Max OAL should be set at least .010 less.

Sal