Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

What is your pet 9mm load?

tomfturner

• Replies 206
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I chronoed my load today. 3.6 gr Titegroup, 147 gr MG, 1.30 Oal, made 138pf out of my M&P. I think I am going to take it down to 3.5gr to be around 135pf.

Edited by jkatz44

Just bought 8 pounds of N320 from Midway - if you set up an account where they will notify you when a supply comes in, it's not that hard in keeping plenty of powder such as N320 for loading - I totally agree that buying the best powder for your favorite loads is well worth it when you break down the total cost.

Just bought 8 pounds of N320 from Midway - if you set up an account where they will notify you when a supply comes in, it's not that hard in keeping plenty of powder such as N320 for loading - I totally agree that buying the best powder for your favorite loads is well worth it when you break down the total cost.

This is good to hear as I am in on a group buy to powder valley for 20 lbs. They should be getting their's soon.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Adding my data to the pile. I answered my own question by making up some loads with autocomp. The only reason why I wanted to try it because it was in my powder dispenser already. 10 shot strings out of a CZ SP01 loaded to 1.105 topped with precision bullets 147gr and federal sp primers. The handfull I weighed were 148.1gr-148.3gr. I used 148 for the PF calculation

3.5 gr of autocomp

Avg velocity 870.9

PF 128.9

3.7gr autocomp

Avg velocity 897.6

PF 132.8

3.9gr autocomp

Avg velocity 938.7

PF 138.9

I will be loading N320 next and will post data along with a comparison between the two powders.

Adding my data to the pile. I answered my own question by making up some loads with autocomp. The only reason why I wanted to try it because it was in my powder dispenser already. 10 shot strings out of a CZ SP01 loaded to 1.105 topped with precision bullets 147gr and federal sp primers. The handfull I weighed were 148.1gr-148.3gr. I used 148 for the PF calculation

3.5 gr of autocomp

Avg velocity 870.9

PF 128.9

3.7gr autocomp

Avg velocity 897.6

PF 132.8

3.9gr autocomp

Avg velocity 938.7

PF 138.9

I will be loading N320 next and will post data along with a comparison between the two powders.

Here's my N320 loads I made up and put through the chrono. Everything remained the same, just changed powder.

3.0 gr N320

Avg velocity 885

PF 130.98

3.2 gr N320

Avg velocity 966

PF 142.97

The comparison between the two was very different. The autocomp load has more "flip" then the N320 which is expected due to it being a slower powder. The N320 has a nice quick "push" and small "flip" is the best I can describe it. We all know the slower powder is going to do what I described above. I just wanted to experiment since I had both powders available.

3.5 gr of autocomp

Avg velocity 870.9

PF 128.9

3.7gr autocomp

Avg velocity 897.6

PF 132.8

3.9gr autocomp

Avg velocity 938.7

PF 138.9

Here's my N320 loads I made up and put through the chrono. Everything remained the same, just changed powder.

3.0 gr N320

Avg velocity 885

PF 130.98

3.2 gr N320

Avg velocity 966

PF 142.97

The comparison between the two was very different. The autocomp load has more "flip" then the N320 which is expected due to it being a slower powder. The N320 has a nice quick "push" and small "flip" is the best I can describe it. We all know the slower powder is going to do what I described above. I just wanted to experiment since I had both powders available.

Didn't think N320 was quite that fast??? A 81 fps increase with only a .2g increase in charge tends to make me nervous. Too little a margin for error for my comfort, pressures are spiking too rapidly.

Cheers,

Sal

• 2 months later...

My two loads that I like are best are:

1, Dardas 9mm 122 Grain Flat Point Bevel Base cast bullet .356 inches

OAL at 1.07 inches.

4.9 grains off Power Pistol with a crimp of .380 inches. This is a very accurate load in my Les Baer at 25 yards. I can keep my groups at 2 inches or better. The Power Pistol burns very clean and I get no leading in the barrel. It is a light load and comfortable to shoot.

The cost for this round is about $91.05/1000 with primer and powder

#2 MasterCastBullet.com 9MM 125 GRAIN TCN cast bullet. .3565 inches. OAL 1.1 inches. 4.5 grains of Power Pistol with a crimp of .380 inches. This load shoots the same as the Dardas load. I can shoot either bullet and I do not have to adjust my sights and I have the same point of impact. I am able to group them the same as the Dardas bullets. These bullets cost a little less money as he sells them by the pound. I paid $182.00 for 66 pounds that comes out to 3500 bullets. My cost per K is $88.42/1000 with primer and powder

I see a lot of people shoot jacked bullets. I have only loaded lead bullets since I got my Dillon XL 650 and as long as I keep my loads close to the starting point for the powder and bullet weight I have not had any leading. I only shoot 9mm 1911 5 inch pistols, I also have a Kimber Stainless Ultra Carry II 1911 3 inch pistol. This is my carry gun and I can shoot either of the two loads through this gun.

I have been told that Power Pistol is very hot by a lot of people but I have not seen any data that tells me how hot this powder is burning.

I have tried Hodgdon powder ( same as Winchester powder) and I had to keep increasing the load from the pearson book with the recommended starting point as I was getting stove pipes because the loads were not hot enough.

I hope this will help someone that is looking to try cast bullets. All cast bullets are not made the same. I have piurchased some other bullets from another company and the bullets were covered in a waxy lubricant. Not fust in the lube ring of the bullet. The bullets were also not consistent in weight. I saw a swing from +-2 grains. I do not know if this was from the lubrication being all over the bulets.

If anyone has had good luck with other cast bullets and are less expensive and of good quality I would like to give them a try.

The Dardas bullets are 50/1000 and the shipping is $11.00 so for 3 K it is 161.00 or $53.66/1000 bullets , The mastercastbullets.com cost $182.00 for 3500 or $52/1000 bullets. Both of these are great bullets and are very close to the same cost per bullet. I would highly recommend either. The cost fluctuate with powder and primers. I figured these with primers costing 25.50 per box and the powder was 16.99 per pound.

Where are you guys getting Win 231. I cannot get it anyplace same with HP 38. It is not available in Rochester, NY. They say they get the HP 38 once in a while. I do not want to start trying loads if the powder is not always available. I did get one 1 pound bottle of of HP 38 and it did not load good following the Richard Lee Modern Reloading Second Edition. The only powder that I get without a problem is Power Pistol by Alliant. I have heard all the stuff about it being hot but as you can see with the data I gave with the two different lead loads I do not get any leading. I do not know what hot is and I cannot get anyone that says it how not is hot? I did try accurate # 7 and it was very smokey and dirty in my pistol. I tried it with bullets I used with other powders and I did not get the smoke. So I do not like Unique #7 very smokey and dirty.

Another thing I was dong the math on was how many loads you can get out of a pound of powder. You can figure it out. There are 7000grains of powder in one pound.

With my load that I use 4.5 grains of powder I should get 1,555.55 bullets per pound. That is a lot of tubes of primers and a lot of up and downs on the Dillon handle.. LOL here is the link for the conversion of grains to pounds. Grain to pound converter.

160g cast and 2.7g Solo 1000 so soft it's almost like cheating.

What type of groups are you getting with this load. It is a light load. Is it consistent at 25 yards and 50 yards?

I usually shoots less than 2" at twenty five yards and about 2" at thirty five yards that is as far as I have shot it.

147 Precision Delta

4.0 gr of Unique

CCI 500

Mixed brass

OAL 1.138"

Glock 17

I don't know anything about power factors, because I'm a noob that doesnt compete. I just plink. But, I like the load.

Edited by glennn

147 Precision Delta

4.0 gr of Unique

CCI 500

Mixed brass

OAL 1.138"

Glock 17

I don't know anything about power factors, because I'm a noob that doesnt compete. I just plink. But, I like the load.

I'm guessing something like a 130 PF for your load and thats good, in case your interested.

Jim

My favorite pet load went from 4.0gr of HP-38 to 4.6gr of PowerPistol.

The powerfactor and cost is nearly identical (4.0g of hp38 costs the same as the 4.6 of powerpistol) BUUUT PowerPistol seems to have less smoke, but slightly more soot in the gun afterwards.

This is the same charge either shooting a Dardas 125gr at 1.125" or my own Lee 2R cut at 357 with Carnauba Red at 129gr at 1.095", or my own Lee TC at 1.085". The difference in bullet length is such that I get the same internal case volume this way, and get identical velocity, recoil, etc. All feed in my LWD barrel'd glocks as well.

Another curious item: Using a round bullet seating die, the TC bullets seat to 1.085 and the round nose seat to 1.095 without making any adjustments. Neato!