Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

What is your pet 9mm load?

tomfturner

Looking to see what everyone likes for their "pet" 9mm load. Have seen so many that there are no "real" patterns forming (other than VV N320 ... and complaints about availability :sight: ), and I'm looking for good ideas.

IF your pet load is VVN320, please list load data not listed elsewhere in the post, and list your backup load if you can't find N320. :devil:

Please include: bullet type, weight, powder, charge, feel, consistency, other data (smoke, foulage, etc).

Looking for common weights making minor (i.e. 115gr, 124-5gr, 147gr).

Thanks,

-T

:cheers:

• Replies 206
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I use the following for a 9mm minor load in my XD9 Tactical:

Bullet - 124 grain Montana Gold JHP (I use these for my .38 Super Major loads as well.)

Powder - 3.8 grains of Clays (relatively inexpensive and doesn't smoke with a JHP or TMJ bullet)

OAL - 1.135 inches

Crimp - 0.376 inches

Primer - Winchester or Wolf small pistol

Velocity (from 5" barrel) - 1050 fps

Power Factor - 130

I previously used 147 grain JHPs but that combination felt too sluggish to me. I prefer a little more "pop" but not as much as the 115 grain bullets give. The 124 seem to be a good compromise for me. YMMV.

Edited by XD Niner

Running MG 124 CMJ with 4.1 TG @1.15 oal makes 130ish out of my M&P Pro. Just received 1000 147's from MG to experiment with a different feel. I will use TG. Do a search or just read the 9mm reload section.

Do a search or just read the 9mm reload section.

Just read the opening post, that's all I'll say in reply to this.

There are a lot of common loads discussed around here. Pet-common? Whatever. Don't get hung up on 320 especially since it is hard to find and expensive. Many, many 9mm loads are made up of TG or solo1000 plus many others. Find a couple of "common" loads and develop your "pet" load by tweaking them a little. My pet load will not perform the same for another shooter even with the same gun as me. As I learned, some brands of gun(Glock)are faster than other guns with the same loads. So you will come closer to a good match by comparing loads for your specific gun.

Okay ... so far we've got one of each:

Solo 1000

Clays

Tite Group

Similar data to what I've found in my searches. Looking for a little more data to build some statistics on though. B) I guess I should've made this a poll. hehe

147gr Frontier CMJ

3.9gr/Unique or

3.6gr N320

OAL = 1.125"

The Unique load chrono's @ 137 and the N320 chrono's @ 132.

These loads feel the same and the gun tracks straight back without any muzzle flip.

Edited by RePete

147gr MG CMJ

3.8gr W231

1.130" COL

Fed or Win SP primers

or

147gr MG CMJ

3.7gr N321

1.130" COL

Fed or Win SP primers

Both loads are pretty soft, I've been using the W231 for months. I will likely start using the N320 once the 231 runs out. It may be just a tad softer and cleaner. Both loads work nice out of my G34/G17.

Edited by lugnut

About to try some Solo 1000 for the first time with the 124's and also with 147's to see how it compares.

Will be interested to see it; if it becomes your "pet" load. No one has any pet 115s! Not that surprising I guess, but I'm a little surprised at that.

Looking to see what everyone likes for their "pet" 9mm load. Have seen so many that there are no "real" patterns forming (other than VV N320 ... and complaints about availability :sight: ), and I'm looking for good ideas.

IF your pet load is VVN320, please list load data not listed elsewhere in the post, and list your backup load if you can't find N320. :devil:

Please include: bullet type, weight, powder, charge, feel, consistency, other data (smoke, foulage, etc).

Looking for common weights making minor (i.e. 115gr, 124-5gr, 147gr).

Thanks,

-T

:cheers:

I use 5.0 gr. WSF, WSP with the 124 gr. Montana Gold JHP for ca. 1050 fps.

About to try some Solo 1000 for the first time with the 124's and also with 147's to see how it compares.

Will be interested to see it; if it becomes your "pet" load. No one has any pet 115s! Not that surprising I guess, but I'm a little surprised at that.

Pet loads for 115? I guess it depends on your goal but for optimum groups in my guns these are tops. Charge variance depending on the specific bullet:

4.8 / 5.0 grains N-330

5.8 / 6.1 grains 3-N-37

5.3 /5.5 grains WSF

5.3 / 5.9 grains Silhouette

6.0 / 6.4 graisn Power Pistol

Mixed brass

Winchester Small Pistol Primer

A Berry's plated 147 grain "FMJ" style of bullet

seated out to about 1.155" or so, but less that 1.16"

IIRC, it might be 3.8 grains of Clays or TiteGroup. I will be back later in a day or two to clear that up. I am away from my

reloading press and 3 ring reloading binder right now.

Again, IIRC, it PF's at about a 131 or 132 out of a full size Beretta 92 FS.

At some point, I am going to switch to either Winchester Super Target (WST) or Solo 1000 for a less smokey home cast 147 grain lead boolit instead. Hey, I'm cheap. :roflol: Hence, I have NO V V N320 recommendations for you.

3.9 gr Titegroup; 1.2 COL; 124/125 gr JHP either MG or Zero whichever is cheaper in >= 3K orders; Win SP/SR, Fed 100s (I think-its their SP); brass Fed, Win, R-P; consistently chronos at 129-131 PF from my CZ-75 SP01 (28k rnds through it) and chronoed on a CED M2 chrono with IR screens in a coffin.

Chronoed from ~50 to 93 degs and don't see any significant variation.

Working on a Solo 1000 load; nothing worth posting yet. Trying Wolf primers now. Having some difficulty get consistent seating depth with has led to some click, bang (when I can remember to pull the trigger twice vice rack the slide-they always fire the second time). For me, jury is still out on Wolf primers but I think its me NOT the primers. No chrono data yet using the Wolf primers on my standard load.

Load seems snappy but soft if that makes sense to you. Its what I want in feel. Hope this helps.

Edited by GeneBray