Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

It's All In The Soundtrack

Micah

Wow! Another metal fan on the forum, cool. :devil: I have some of those bands in my collection, but I tend to stay with this type of stuff: Cannibal Corpse Someone talked of squirting bullets at warp 13 earlier...this stuff will help with that. BTW, yes, I really listen to this stuff and have been for nearly 20 years. :wacko:

I was thinking the same thing as I was reading this thread... BTW, nice Slayer reference in your location.

I've thought about music between stages, but have thought it might be a little anti-social... but maybe I'll try it when I'm on deck. I do worry that a little metal might be like a little too much coffee... it'll get me going, but maybe from "a little slow" straight up to "spray n pray"... :surprise:

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The next time you go to a match...bring an mp3 player. If you are having a less than groovy time...listen to a few cuts that cheer you up.

Remember...the soundtrack can change the entire meaning of the movie ;)

*Link to perfect example*

Guys don't let him fool ya. I picked up his mp3 by mistake last week at the match and it had The Sound of Music, Oklahoma and La Cage Au Folles soundtracks cued up.

Nothing like a little Rob Zombie to get the heart rate up!

Seiichi

Nah man

This is go-fast music:

Music fast enough to give the surgeon general a heart attack:

>>>

<<<

>>>Click here for more music to get you pumped<<<

>>>Click here for even more music to get you pumped<<<

I have the Pro Ears: Pro Mag Gold

I can listen to my ipod/mp3 player through these electronic ears just fine. Sound quality is good too, no need for in-ear buds or anything. A bit pricey, but i have no problem wearing them comfortably all day, hearing conversations, listening to music, and protecting my ears.

Yeah-The Pro Ears Gold are the best I have found-the really big ones-they absolutely shut out sound on jets and in airports and you can plug your iPod in-all you do is just turn the volume on a tiny bit in each ear. I have Shure's for each ear, but they only work ok at really high volume like 120-130db which is the stage volume for really loud bands. They are good in the studio or a nightclub.Now I just use an orange foam or wax plug in the ear that is to the amp. Lately I've been using an iPod shuffle with stock Apple earbuds under whatever earmuffs I am using that day. Works surprisingly well. I have been listening to Gimme Shelter a lot and a LRRP tape I made that is good for shooting that starts with LA Guns Ballad of Jayne and ends with Steve Stevens Hellcats Take the Highway.Check out Stevie's song Small Arms Fire here This is a cool thread-I never knew that so many shooters were listening to music before they shoot-it seems natural to me.

I've always though that Def Leppard's "Pour Some Sugar On Me" would be the ultimate USPSA stage soundtrack.

You know what has 7 arms and sucks?

That's messed up...but funny.

Rob Zombie will make you shoot faster!

Seiichi

I'm just the opposite, when I listen to fast music, I go too fast on the shooting and end up trainwrecking. I've actually had the best luck with laid-back old-school hip-hop, especially since I got satellite radio. Like

classic for example.

I've always though that Def Leppard's "Pour Some Sugar On Me" would be the ultimate USPSA stage soundtrack.

Good choice, but I think I would say Queens' "One Vision".

I like to throw AC/DC shoot to thrill on my match videos once in a while. I will have to try the music thing in the near future. Perhaps tomorrow......

Ipods are a wonderfull defense against the guys that want to talk between stages. I like to shoot and don't want to talk politics weather sports or any thing else when getting ready for my stage. It's rude to ignore a friend but not rude to listen to your pod. I take them out when going to the line in IDPA. Some rifle matches will leave them in if the range and match allows. Always ask first.

Boats

I have several great tracks on my shooting play list, but Metallica - Fuel, Queens of the Stone Age - Millionare, and Motorhead's - Cradle to the Grave get me motivated. I try to avoid listening while driving...red and blue lights!

• 2 weeks later...

Ive used music during my dryfire before and it was very rewarding. I didnt use a timer when I did because it helped me focus on technique instead of blinding speed; however the music you choose can be your pace setter without you having to think "GO FASTER". Im glad I ran into this thread because I had forgotten about how powerful a tool music can be for shooting. For me, I can dig deeper in body and mind when I make the experience epic. I think Im going to use my music at practice today.

As far as music choices go, I am all over the board on that. Its going to take some testing to find what puts me in just the right state of mind for shooting in particular. From other experiences I do notice that powerful songs that are slower tend to help me achieve the "slow things down" mentality without trying. Kind of like driving fast to a slower(not so much softer) song. It kind of makes you feel like your'e in a time warp like state. Like you have plenty of time to do everything that needs to be done. Something about the contrast between speed and perceived speed. At least for me.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mdRd3k4CIAg

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KYPjkAJwxoU

Edited by DoubleA

• 3 months later...

new favorite pump up song...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6X0Zhw_tbPo

Used to listen to these song before a paintball tournament.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RPkAHvp1Vgw

Id listen to each song once, then the first 30 seconds of the first and the first 50 seconds or so about 4 or 5 times right before the game started.

Got me fired up and ready to go...altho I dont think id shoot this game as well if I was juiced up. maybe ill test it out ;)

And yes, i listen to rap/hiphop...a lot, haha

Edited by Corey

Back in the day before MP3's, I make a ... wait for it ... cassette tape compilation especially for big matches. It had songs that made me happy, got me "up," but not too jacked up (like Slayer or something).

At some point, after seeing me listening to it many times, John Shaw asked if he could listen to it. I don't think he knew any of the music - but he really liked the tape. So much so that I gave it to him. (He'd done me plenty of favors.) ;)

Now with the modern day stuff - MP3's, awesome headphones - I'd have a Playlist for each type of match (Bianchi, Steel Challenge, IPSC, etc.).

be

I would love to see your playlist for each event :)

Been doing that for quite a while. Makes a huge difference for me. I can really set my mood with music.

I have a "shooting" playlist in my IPOD and several CDs that I listen to on the way to matches. Now, if I could only find a set of electronic ear protection which I could plug the IPOD into directly. that would be the bomb!

I have a set of Howard Leight Impact muffs that have an input jack that allows me to plug in my iPod and listen to music while I shoot. They are very slick.

biggrin.gifHave you guys found this to be a huge help? I have never tried this myself because once I am three shooters away I am trying to focus on the stage and my game plan. I am also up for trying new things too

I'm just the opposite, when I listen to fast music, I go too fast on the shooting and end up trainwrecking. I've actually had the best luck with laid-back old-school hip-hop, especially since I got satellite radio. Like

classic for example.

I find a little Miles Davis or Thelonious Monk hit the spot and help me focus before I shoot. I don't need anything to get my jacked up..... When I get to a match I'm the fastest misser in the group... I need something to slow down my mind and get me in the right state of mind to focus on the match.

• 2 weeks later...