Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

FN SLP Mk 1 - What Mods and accessories for 3-gun?

So I decided that I want to shoot some 3 gun matches and I needed a good shotgun that was suited to the task. I settled on the FN SLP Mk 1 and have a barely used one on the way to me right now, I rarely do things in moderation and getting by with my beater 11-87 just wouldn't have cut it.

I'm not afraid of the search function and have used it quite a bit already, I'm looking for the suggested mods/improvements that I should make once I've got the gun in hand and have shot it a little bit. Here's what I'm thinking so far, am I missing anything?

Mods to make:

Take off the sharp points on the loading gate to avoid ripped thumbs.

Open up the loading port area, including trimming back the handguard if needed.

Inspect, polish, deburr, etc as needed to insure the best function.

(If needed only) Send off to SRM for reliability package and SureCycle install.

Accessories to buy:

2 or 3 extended chokes to make swapping easy. (Suggestions on brand and constriction?)

Soft 3 Gun Gear side saddle (and maybe the +2 holder as well?)

Big bolt release button (does Nordic make this)?

Nordic +1 extension for matches without mag limits

Well.....did I miss anything? I didn't forget ammo, I've got about 1000 rounds of misc stuff I've been looking to burn up for a while, this will be great to break it in with.

Thanks in advance,

Jasonk

• Replies 179
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The Sure Cycle install alone is very easy to do - I did mine this morning in under an hour.

I bought the Browning Sporting Clays piston - I believe it was cheaper at MidwayUSA - and it is stamped "LESS THAN 1 1/8 oz." I'm going to try the "Light" piston - which is stamped "LESS THAN 1 1/2oz." - first to see if it runs before dropping in the SC piston.

I use the 3gungear.com and the Mark Otto side saddles, the Nordic bolt handle and bolt release, and Briley extended chokes.

3gunguns21.jpg

3gunguns14.jpg

And I did a little Hack-Fu shortening the handguard and beveling the receiver.

3gunguns16.jpg

Thanks for the tips so far....I hope it cycles great from the box, but at least I've got some options.

Looks like I need to tool up the Dremel, mine's only one speed....FAST. I may need to invest in a better Dremel before going to crazy, seems like a little slower speed could be handy. Anyone able to post pictures or links to what Dremel bits you're using to grind on the metal? Just a big sanding one or something a little higher tech?

Gotm4, what chokes do you run, imp cyl, Mod, etc?

Thanks for the tips so far....I hope it cycles great from the box, but at least I've got some options.

Looks like I need to tool up the Dremel, mine's only one speed....FAST. I may need to invest in a better Dremel before going to crazy, seems like a little slower speed could be handy. Anyone able to post pictures or links to what Dremel bits you're using to grind on the metal? Just a big sanding one or something a little higher tech?

Skeet, Imp Cyl and Light Mod Brileys.

Mine is a MKI I bought around 2004.

Springs:

Mine sometimes releases 2 shells at once; one gets loaded and the other sits on the carrier. So long as you keep firing, the gun works. BUT, that shell prevents loading the tube.

There is supposed to be a stronger spring for the tube's "keeper" (dunno what you would call that part - but it keeps the rounds in the tube).

Anyone know where/who for that Spring? (Wolff I imagine. Got a part #?).

Also, I began having light strikes some time ago - even with Federal ammo. A heavier Wolff hammer spring solved the issue - though the trigger is much heavier now <_<

Here is what I would/did do:

Take off the sharp points on the loading gate to avoid ripped thumbs.-I haven't done yet, but I may consider

Open up the loading port area, including trimming back the handguard if needed.-I haven't done yet, but I may consider

Inspect, polish, deburr, etc as needed to insure the best function.-I have about 500 rounds (#8 birdshot, low recoil slug and buckshot) without a single malfunction so I haven't changed anything

(If needed only) Send off to SRM for reliability package and SureCycle install.-There is a spring in the removable gas ring that can fail-so I've been told

Accessories to buy:

2 or 3 extended chokes to make swapping easy. (Suggestions on brand and constriction?)-Haven't done yet. I've heard that the Briley ones are good. I run mine with the modified choke. There are some matches for steel with nearby "no shoot" in which a full choke would be nice.

Soft 3 Gun Gear side saddle (and maybe the +2 holder as well?)-Yes and Yes. Don't spray your gun with CLP as it will disolve the adhesive on the velcro material that mounts to the gun

Big bolt release button (does Nordic make this)?-Don't get the PMT one that fits the benelli too. Mine started to catch after a few matches so I took it off

Nordic +1 extension for matches without mag limits-Yes. I trimmed my spring from Nordic about 1.5" and it works great. Others have not trimmed the spring at all and it works fine.

What this gun really needs in a rear sight with adjustable windage. I don't like having to remember that my slugs his 4-6" to the right at 50 yards.

Other than that, it's a great gun. Daniel Horner won the BRM3G with this shotgun. You could contact the AMU and see what mods they have done to his gun.

What this gun really needs in a rear sight with adjustable windage. I don't like having to remember that my slugs his 4-6" to the right at 50 yards.

So move the front sight a little to the right (rather than moving the rear to the left)? I haven't needed to, but it looks like on mine you could tap the front sight through the dovetail a little bit.

Agreed though, it's a great gun!

I just installed the "surecycle" system in my Winchester Practical, then put a SRM sealed gas piston in. Seems to be running great. I will be shooting several hundred rounds through it prior to the FN Midwest 3-gun match.

The day I got the gun I took the dremel to the feed area and went nuts. My wife saw what I was doing and had a fit! "It's a brand new gun! What are you doing!" I load strong hand and can shove the shells in at almost any angle and they pop right in.

Then I cut off that crazy cantilever rail. It serves no purpose if you are not shooting open, and if you are shooting open you're using the wrong gun! (Get a Saiga!) Put on some gun black that I picked up on a prize table, (along with some shock buffs and a hat) and it looks pretty good.

post-8887-1242091955_thumb.jpg

post-8887-1242091875_thumb.jpg

post-8887-1242092038_thumb.jpg

Doug

I run a modified 95% of the time, an improved if it a all clays stage with no steel.

Scott

The day I got the gun I took the dremel to the feed area and went nuts. My wife saw what I was doing and had a fit! "It's a brand new gun! What are you doing!" I load strong hand and can shove the shells in at almost any angle and they pop right in.

Then I cut off that crazy cantilever rail. It serves no purpose if you are not shooting open, and if you are shooting open you're using the wrong gun! (Get a Saiga!) Put on some gun black that I picked up on a prize table, (along with some shock buffs and a hat) and it looks pretty good.

Doug

You went medieval on that weapon!!

Doug

And to think I was scared to grind away what little bit I did. :roflol:

Doug

WOW!! You really did go to town on that thing, you give me inspiration to Dremel away. I need to order some gun black too......

Again, nicely done, thanks for the pics too.

Jason

That gives a whole new meaning to "hogging" it out, that is for sure.

I personally like the sight rail. Leave the flip up sight down for everything but long range slug shots, then line the fiber optic front sight into the center of the "U" in the rail and let'er buck. It seems as fast as a rib and bead to me.

That gives a whole new meaning to "hogging" it out, that is for sure.

I personally like the sight rail. Leave the flip up sight down for everything but long range slug shots, then line the fiber optic front sight into the center of the "U" in the rail and let'er buck. It seems as fast as a rib and bead to me.

The reason I cut off the rib was because I felt like it was blocking my vision to the left and right of the sights. I feel like I can transition faster now because I can see more.

Doug

Here is a pic of a 30 degree bevel I did on mine with the mill and to show where I trimmed the handguard back. Loads very smooth now.

This is on the SLP. I will be done with the SX3 by the end of this week and plan to use it at KY State.

The SLP weighs 8# even with the 22" barrel. The SX3 weighs 6.7# with a Nordic +5 tube and a 26" barrel. My Benelli weighs 7.15# with a Nordic +5 tube and 21" barrel.

post-8688-1242529913_thumb.jpg

• 2 weeks later...
Who is SRM?

What benefits are there to the surecycle system?

I sent my FN SLP to them. They smoothed the friction areas on the bolt, carrier, and inside the receiver. They also took a gas piston and "sealed" it, takng away what I feel is a weak point of the weapon. The spring inside the normal gas piston can break, the sealed piston has the spring removed and an aluminum sleeve put in its place. This allows for less gas to escape the piston, making for more reliable function. They also installed the surecycle recoil system. This allows the shotgun to be used for very light target loads, but still allows for shooting heavy loads without damaging the weapon. I also had them send another sealed piston and surecycle system that I installed in my Winchester Practical that I keep as a spare.

I had both weapons out yesterday shooting 3 dram 1oz loads with no problems. That is the lightest load that I shoot. I have also shot loads of 1 1/8oz at 1200 fps up to 1300 fps and all have worked well. Before sending the FN to SRM, reliablility with light loads was sporadic even with the light piston in.

• 9 months later...

I use the 3gungear.com and the Mark Otto side saddles, the Nordic bolt handle and bolt release, and Briley extended chokes.

3gunguns21.jpg

3gunguns14.jpg

3gunguns16.jpg

Where can I find the oversized bolt release pictured here? I've looked all over with no luck.

Thanks for any info guys.

3gunguns21.jpg

3gunguns14.jpg

3gunguns16.jpg

Where can I find the oversized bolt release pictured here? I've looked all over with no luck.

Thanks for any info guys.

I think that Chris Patty has 'em. www.cpwsa.com (and he's in the benos.com Dealer Forums)