Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Gun shop experts and their quotes

Sarge

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

"You see this bullet here with the shiny case (nickel), I put it in the clip first so when I see it flip out of the gun I know it's time to reload.

We told him to leave our students alone!

That's improtant because the slide locking back doesn't necessarily mean you need to do something... :wacko:

:cheers: I was recently buying some 380 ammo (yes I actually found some). The resident expert at the counter states that it is a waste of time carring a 380, it doesn't even hurt when you shoot someone with one and it won't even penetrate the chest if you hit them in the sternum. I explained that my carry gunis in the truck, care to test that on yourself (just trying to thin the herd), he then stated that, it really depends on the gun and the load. I was thinking Blanks, maybe? The last person I picked up in an Ambulance with two gun shot wounds from a 380 looked pretty dead to me. :ph34r:

:cheers: I was recently buying some 380 ammo (yes I actually found some). The resident expert at the counter states that it is a waste of time carring a 380, it doesn't even hurt when you shoot someone with one and it won't even penetrate the chest if you hit them in the sternum. I explained that my carry gunis in the truck, care to test that on yourself (just trying to thin the herd), he then stated that, it really depends on the gun and the load. I was thinking Blanks, maybe? The last person I picked up in an Ambulance with two gun shot wounds from a 380 looked pretty dead to me. :ph34r:

Yeah I hear that a lot around here. I think it is funny when they say that a .380 is just going to piss some one off and not really do any damage. I have always wanted to ask if they were game to try it out.

Clown behind counter: "When I was a Ranger we...."

Customer: "Which Ranger class were you in?"

Clown: "Back when I did we didn't have classes."

Customer: :roflol::roflol::roflol:

What a douche.

RLTW

--Lanzo

What is your Ranger Class # Lanzo? Oops, I forgot you don't have one yet! :sight:

I went into the indoor range in Belleville, IL looking for some 1911 parts and other gear and I was prepared to spend quite a bit of money. Before I could buy anything, the a$$clown behind the counter told me that I was stupid (in more or less terms) for buying a 1911 in 38 Super (at the time I bought it to use for Bianchi Cup type shooting). Needless to say, I didn't spend a dime in that store.

I didn't learn my lesson the first time and went back to this same store looking for some reloading components. The same a$$clown belittled me for reloading. He made some comment about how cheap ammo was at Walmart. That was probably about a year ago....even then I could reload a lot cheaper than buying commercial.

Vonce you go Glock you never go bock!

Glocks never need cleaning. Ever.

Glocks never jam. Ever.

Currently attempting to prove this with my 34

You got room on those rails for your iPod?

I read every post on this thread and I still can't stop giggling about this one, lol.

Thanks for the laughs, you guys rock.

Tiz

"You see this bullet here with the shiny case (nickel), I put it in the clip first so when I see it flip out of the gun I know it's time to reload.

I thought everyone did this? :ph34r:

Guy behind the counter to a customer holding a handgun: "HEY!!! Make sure you check that guns port before you point it at anyone in here!!!"

I was standing in a gun shop/indoor range where the owner and his employees seem to know what their talking about 95% of the time, holding a used CZ 75 SP-01 with my natural 30/70 thumbs forward grip that 99% of us use when another patron states "You'll never hit anything gripping that gun like that" to which I responded "Really?" Him: "Yeah, I'm an instructor if you'd like to take some training" Me: "John, (the owner) do you mind if I put a couple of mags through this, I would like for this gentleman to give me some pointers on my grip" John, with a BIG grin: "Sure".

We got on the range and I ran the target out to the end and asked him to show how to grip the gun properly so I can shoot accurately. He did this tea cup & saucer type thing and shot a group about 12" on an IDPA target missing it all together 3 times out of a full mag. "I wouldn't buy this gun, it's loose as hell and shoots like crap.". I took it and put the other full mag in it and said "I'll try my grip with the first 6 rounds and then your recommended grip with the rest". I did a "Bill Drill" and placed all 6 in a group of about 3-4" in the center of the -0 zone. When I brought the target back to us he just kind of stood there slack jawed. I said "It must be the gun." He said "That must be some specially trained covert military grip that I've never seen before." He started to say something else but I just ignored him after that and emptied the rest of the magazine. When I got back out into the store he was gone.

In a gun shop with a very good friend of mine while he picked up some guns from the owner (He's their Gunsmith). We overheard some guy talking the same old "IDPA's more 'Real World' than IPSC" crap when my friend said "The last time you where in a handgun fight what technique did you use?" He just stared at us as we left.

Ranger School Class 9-87

"The last person I picked up in an Ambulance with two gun shot wounds from a 380 looked pretty dead to me. :ph34r:
Good line to throw back at the jerks who say the same crap about 9mm being too wussy to do the job. Hmmph. (Uhhh, I have a sub-compact 9mm semi-auto here that we can test on your sternum you if you wish.......)

Clerk in gun store / range: (on the phone) yes sir how can I help you?

Customer: do you rent guns there? And how much per day?

Clerk: yes we do rent over 40 different revolvers & pistols in all calibers and the cost is $12

Customer: ok for a two day rental when would I have to have them back by???

Clerk: . . . ???? Um sir I don’t think you quite get the way this thing works . . . the guns don’t leave the range!

Customer: . . . .Reply lost as the clerk had hung up laghing

Customer: that Artimas Titan revolver on consignment for $35.00 . . . is that a good gun???

Clerk: . . . it’s the best $35.00 revolver you’ll ever find”

(sporting a new red shirt with “Range Safety Officer” emblazoned upon the front & Back)

Range Safety Officer: “Hey they just pointed a gun at me!!”

Pro Shop Manager: “Well go talk to them !!! get them to obey the rules!!! That’s Your Job!!!”

“Range Safety Officer”: “hell no stupid people with guns scare me!”

I went into the indoor range in Belleville, IL looking for some 1911 parts and other gear and I was prepared to spend quite a bit of money. Before I could buy anything, the a$$clown behind the counter told me that I was stupid (in more or less terms) for buying a 1911 in 38 Super (at the time I bought it to use for Bianchi Cup type shooting). Needless to say, I didn't spend a dime in that store.

I would have pointed out the fact that by his logic he was equally stupid for stocking/selling 38sup 1911 :P

While handling a Sig P229 at the last shop I was in, a local mom & pop:

Owner: "Chris, you really don't want that"

Me: "Huh? Why not?"

Owner: "The .40 S&W has a very nasty recoil impulse and even you won't be able to control it after the first shot" {After 15K through my M&P .40 alone, nevermind the Taurus and Beretta}

Me: "Thanks. I didn't know that...I was completely unaware." I then proceeded to put the pistol down on the counter rug with the slide open and wishing him a good day on the way out.

This is why I internet shop and pick it up at a dealer by my work. No BS, show them my CCW, sign off, walk out.

Back when we had to take deer to the local shop to register our kill:

A gentleman we supposed was Middle Eastern came to our shop on opening day and excitedly walked in asking us, in broken English, to come outside and see his very nice kill. We of course did, genuinely interested in everyone's good fortune. He dropped the tailgate and revealed a very nice, tan, well horned Billy goat. We were all falling into each other, crying, peeing ourselves when he drove off.

That was more than 20 years ago and I still laugh.

"While handling a Sig P229 at the last shop I was in..."
I formerly (and intentionally) owned a P229 in .40S&W, and found it to be exquisitely comfortable--all the while using factory ammo, yes.
"The .40 S&W has a very nasty recoil impulse and even you won't be able to control it after the first shot."
What an idiot. :rolleyes: "Recoil impulse"... that's a new one on me. :D

"While handling a Sig P229 at the last shop I was in..."
I formerly (and intentionally) owned a P229 in .40S&W, and found it to be exquisitely comfortable--all the while using factory ammo, yes.
"The .40 S&W has a very nasty recoil impulse and even you won't be able to control it after the first shot."
What an idiot. :rolleyes: "Recoil impulse"... that's a new one on me. :D

Always thought "recoil impulse" was a dating term :roflol:

:roflol:

Clerk: Man you can get killed running with a gun...

Friggin' classic...

Edited by DyNo!

I worked in gun shops for a number of years and usually had the policy that if a wizened old shooter came in, chances are he knew what he was talking about and it would be a good idea to shut up and listen....However, I worked with some geniuses who never got the clue. One store I was at, the manager was the brother-in-law of the owner. He loved to go on about his hunting experiences and expound his knowledge. Problem was, before he started at the store, he'd never been hunting, never shot and had no clue what he was talking about. I don't remember all the exchanges he had with customers, but they sound a lot like some of the ones here.

Then there was the last store I worked at. It was bought by a Chinese buisiness man who also had no clue about shooting. He sold one guy and old Sig P220 with the heel mag release. He told the customer it was a great gun for IPSC because it was chambered in .38 Super and that's what the top guys use! I intervened later and told him it would be a nice shooter, but would not be a good gun for IPSC. He'd rent his friends a 9mm (Beretta, Sig, Glock) and sell them 300 rounds of factory ammo. I would accompany them on the range to make sure they were safe and watch them fire all 300 rounds at a target 7m away. I usually kept that target for the next guy since there were no holes in it.

I eventually got fired/quit when he decided to have a bunch of his friends (yes, the same ones) take an IPSC course. I had been telling him all along what gear we needed to keep in stock to outfit new shooters, but it never happened. So now with the course a week away he decided he had to outfit the entire group with Safariland gear. Problem was, no-one in Canada had that stuff on hand and it would be a 4 to 6 week process to get it in. The only places we could get it on short notice was out of a certain reloading manufacturer in the US, but that they wouldn't ship until he paid his seriously overdue account. I told him in short "you're boned" and should have listened to me in the first place at which time we both decided it would be a good time for me to leave.

Back when we had to take deer to the local shop to register our kill:

A gentleman we supposed was Middle Eastern came to our shop on opening day and excitedly walked in asking us, in broken English, to come outside and see his very nice kill. We of course did, genuinely interested in everyone's good fortune. He dropped the tailgate and revealed a very nice, tan, well horned Billy goat. We were all falling into each other, crying, peeing ourselves when he drove off.

That was more than 20 years ago and I still laugh.

:roflol::roflol::roflol: I will be thinking of this one all day, thanks! :)

This happened about 20 years ago at Clearwater Firearms (Fla). A new shooter had just purchased a Ruger Security Six and after shooting it for the initial time in the attached range, came into the showroom area and announced that the gun would not shoot straight at 7 yards. It just so happened that the local Ruger representative was in the shop and asked if he could shoot the pistol. This I had to see... the rep ran the target down to 25yards and proceeded to put 6 quick shots into a 2 inch group double action. His reply was "son it seems to shoot ok now". The rep was Mr. Joe Benner, Olympic medalist, but we didn't have the heart to tell the new shooter.

regards Les

• 2 weeks later...