Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Energy Stimulants/supplements

cybrosh

• Replies 120
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 3 months later...

Before a match I have a protein shake with a half a scoop of ignition, see link below. I also get an ice tea to drink through out the match to get some caffeine. I also have a 2 liter camel bak to stay hydrated. I also will take a full scoop of ignition and mix it with 20oz of water and drink through out the match. For a 12 stage single day match I break out the ignition around 10am and a second one around 2pm. I noticed my stage scores no longer start to trail off as the day progress. It helps keeps my mental state in top shape throughout the day. I use ignition during live fire training to stay at my mental best. I can practice longer and stay productive.

I also keep protein bars and additional protein powder in case I need it.

https://www.1stphorm.com/shop/ignition/dp/2

Advocare Spark. /thread

Seriously, stuff is great. I drink one in the morning to get me up and going and focused. Then make sure I have some high protein snacks to get me through the day and PLENTY of water, even if its not a "hot" day. I try to drink 1/2 my body weight in water (oz) daily, more when I'm outside or doing anything physical.

Same daily morning routine...no deviation. Must have several cups of coffee every day.

Gatorade/water mixed 40/60 for use all day. PBJ is The best for fueling up during a break and doesn't make me feel like hurling when some effort is required. Almonds are good too. I also bring a blue label Monster and a Clif Bar along to have if needed.

• 2 months later...

I will apply my usual preworkout ritual:

30 minutes prior to match, I take my homebrew energy blend-

3 tbs tang
1/8 tsp hard rhino caffeine powder (about 300mg)
1/4 tsp potassium gluconate
1/16 tsp niacin (I put in 1/8 tsp or more for workouts, but the flush is distracting during shooting)
1/4 tsp taurine
1/2 tsp l-citrulline (increases circulation)
an arbitrary amount of vitamin b-12 (I get some in the end of a straw and drop it in)
1/8 tsp pantothenic acid
1/8 tsp beta alanine (increases endurance)

I find a can of Muscle Monster and a cheese danish to be a quick and effective light breakfast prior to high activity. I might also pop an 800mg ibuprofen if my joints aren't feeling great that day.

• 10 months later...

Get a well balanced diet and hydration lifestyle anything you only do a couple hours before a match will not really help you your body and mind takes awhile to actually really change. You may think that you are getting some push out of this stuff but not really.

• 3 months later...

In my younger days Jolt was the can of choice for late night coding sessions. I've had 20 years of heavy doses of caffeine. Now, when I drink coffee I fall asleep.

I drink water and eat mangos and apples. this seems to maintain a constant state of energy for the long day.

This sport is aninteresting mix of physical and mental where the mental has two states Strategic Planning and high concentrated focus. I can't believe that stimulants can provide the sustained levels the body needs.

5. One recent report from the US revealed that women who drink in excess of one cup of coffee every day are only half as likely to be able to get pregnant as those who drink no coffee at all.

The odds are considerably worse if women drink more than two cups a day. Then they are nearly 5 times less likely to be able to get pregnant as women who drink no coffee at all.

Not seeing the down side to this part.

Many years ago when I shot Bullseye matches I found that any caffeine was good to help me drop at least 30 points. On a shooting day it's a no-no for me. It might help others, but not me.

I do make "breakfast cookies" which contain eggs, flour, oats, raisins, dates, butter, cane sugar sap, and maybe some other things that I can't remember. I eat a few of those and take some along, and bring water. Frankly, I don't need to amp up at a match. I want to smooth out. My "problem" is that I amp up too much naturally.

YMMV (Your mileage may vary) . We all do what we need to do.

I'm not suggesting that anyone do this, but back at those Bullseye matches in the mid '70s I know for a fact that some of the competitors would down a beer before shooting to calm them down and reduce the shakes. I didn't, but they did and they claimed that it helped.

my buddy shoots every match after working a night-shift security job. He gets to sleep there but it's only like 4 hours and not exactly restful.

he then pounds 2 monsters and several marlboro lights.

He's always top three a local matches.

so there might be something to it

At the start of the year I completely gave up drinking soda and coffee. I usually drank 2 - 3 caffeinated beverages a day. I went cold turkey on all of the caffeinated beverages and replaced it with plain old water or water with lemon in it. I didn't realize how much I relied on the caffeine to wake up in the morning or stay alert during the day. It sucked for about a month but after that I feel much better overall. My "Alertness" level through the day is a lot more even now and I don't have to deal with the roller coaster effect created by the caffeine.

The only thing besides water that I will drink is Advocare Rehydrate while at matches to replenish what I am sweating or peeing out. That stuff is awesome when the range conditions are very hot and you are sweating a lot.

My system does not tolerate energy drinks well, especially if they are all sugared up. I do much better on water.

A bit of caffeine, though, yes, I'm good with that. I shot my last match with a four-shot espresso in me, plus some food of course, and did some of my best shooting to date.

At the start of the year I completely gave up drinking soda and coffee. I usually drank 2 - 3 caffeinated beverages a day. I went cold turkey on all of the caffeinated beverages and replaced it with plain old water or water with lemon in it. I didn't realize how much I relied on the caffeine to wake up in the morning or stay alert during the day. It sucked for about a month but after that I feel much better overall. My "Alertness" level through the day is a lot more even now and I don't have to deal with the roller coaster effect created by the caffeine.

The only thing besides water that I will drink is Advocare Rehydrate while at matches to replenish what I am sweating or peeing out. That stuff is awesome when the range conditions are very hot and you are sweating a lot.

What made you want to give up caffeine this year, Charlie? Were you getting any side-effects or just wanted to get rid of it? I have a pretty strong addiction to Diet Coke - I drink a lot of water too, but sometimes I really "hit the wall" energy wise if I'm shooting/fishing in really hot weather (like last year's Mile High). Wondering if some of the stuff in DC might be too blame. Giving it up will be a hell - I start thinking about getting a diet soda when I am taking a shower in the morning.

The primary reason I wanted to give up caffeine is due to it usually being accompanied by artificial sweeteners which are horrible for your body. I was a Diet Coke junkie as well and it sucked to quit cold turkey but it was the best way to do it.