Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

any app for the iPhone for scoring

ironb

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If you don't have an iPhone then buying one for scoring would not make sense. If you already have an iPhone then getting some software to do the scoring does make sense. I know there is an APP for a shot-timer function for the iPhone but I have not seen one with scoring software.

No need for an iPhone. An iPod touch would do the trick if you did the score uploading via WiFi.

Might be pretty cool, but the infrared beaming capabilities of the palm (to printers, etc) gives the palm platform the edge I think.

No need for an iPhone. An iPod touch would do the trick if you did the score uploading via WiFi.

Might be pretty cool, but the infrared beaming capabilities of the palm (to printers, etc) gives the palm platform the edge I think.

ideally, you could incorporate the shot timer or ability of it into the scoring app. - and after you're done scoring (if it had cell signal) it could immediately process and upload the results to a server. if no cell signal, then potentially wifi.

an ipod touch would work too, except it doesnt have a built in microphone. there is an attachment out, but i'd be concerned about having something plugged into the iphone on the range. There are some really nice cases for the phone that can keep it protected pretty well while it's outside and on the range. heck, the iphone could even take pictures of the targets for later review. :)

How did the timer work out? Was it accurate?

I havent taken it to the range yet. I'm planning on going tomorrow, so I'll let ya know.

range was CLOSED today when I got there (something about an inspection). I'm going to go Friday and we'll see how well it works.

Timer works good on mine, sensitivity adjustment is a bit tricky to get tuned right but that is all.

yeah, it worked okay at the range, but the darn "Beep" sound is just waaay too quiet. but it does work rather well. the sens adj worked well too.

• 11 months later...

Has anybody tried the Iphone / Ipod Touch application on Saul Kirsch's website:

http://www.doublealpha.biz/daa-iphone-applications/ipscore-ipsc-scoring-application?osCsid=a19a017a0e73853129c0d22ddd2f28bd

This seems like the future of USPSA scoring. I can imagine a range with Wifi, RO's with Ipod Touches (or Ipads) and entering the data in real time (no more syncing Palm Pilots).

If anybody is trying this already, I'd really love to hear their input. This seems like a great idea, and a way that shooters could throw in a few dollars per match in an effort to get quicker feedback.

anyone see anything out there for this? i've been thinking about developing this to make match scoring easier.

Thanks Saul. PM inbound.

CHizzle,

we now offer a free app version you can try. It is limited to 2 stages and two shooters, not like the full version, but has all the features to test. give it a try.

Saul

How did the timer work out? Was it accurate?

I've forgotten my timer a couple of times and had to use the Iphone app. Either I consistently shoot either .19 splits or .27 splits with nothing in between or it is not completely accurate. It is great for dry fire when you are traveling though.

Saul,

Can you answer the following about IPScore?

1) Can you load a shooter database onto multiple devices (i.e. you create a shooter onto one device and then copy onto others)?

2) Does it export to WinScore?

These are the 2 items that our scorekeepers brought up, that they really want to see with any electronic scoring method.

Sincerely,

Chuck

CHizzle,

we now offer a free app version you can try. It is limited to 2 stages and two shooters, not like the full version, but has all the features to test. give it a try.

Saul

• 1 month later...

I just played with the lite version. Decent start. For that kind of cash, it definitely needs to do more. Key needed features:

- overall match and stage results. All divisions combined

- click on individual in results shows detail

- score per target

• 11 months later...

Kind of reviving an old thread, but I was wondering today why haven't we seen an Iphone/Ipod Touch app for scoring that will import into ezwinscore? (or even an android version?!?)

It seems weird that we have all sorts of great technology available, yet the only electronic method of scoring (that I am aware of) is the palm version. What do you guys think?

Kind of reviving an old thread, but I was wondering today why haven't we seen an Iphone/Ipod Touch app for scoring that will import into ezwinscore? (or even an android version?!?)

It seems weird that we have all sorts of great technology available, yet the only electronic method of scoring (that I am aware of) is the palm version. What do you guys think?

+1. For that matter, even if someone can't make a phone app that will export to ezwinscore, how about an update to exwinscore than can read the AA file?

I think the real issue here is just economics. The phones are expensive, the Palms are not. Yes, Palm is out of production, but refurbished units can be obtained at a fraction of the cost of a phone. Then there is the issue of needing a number of devices for any given match, and the cost of the phone contract itself. I don't know of a club that can afford all those costs. Yes, Palm is no longer in production, but they are still way affordable and available. The reason the software has not been created for phones is that the hardware for the software is too expensive. Sometimes, cutting edge technology is not the best economic decision.

Edited by TaterHead