Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!
816ronp

9mm and 38 Special Lead Bullets

Steve S   

For the las 15 years I have bought only 9mm 147 grain lead bullets and shot them in both my 9mm and my 38 sp revolver. I think they actually were more accurate in the 38 than the 9mm. I saw no difference. I'd give it a try.

redwoods   

I have always thought that the 9mm bullet was .355", the 38 special bullet was .356/.357 and the 357 bullet was .357. Maybe it is different in lead but I don't think so.

8ring   
I have always thought that the 9mm bullet was .355", the 38 special bullet was .356/.357 and the 357 bullet was .357. Maybe it is different in lead but I don't think so.

A 9mm lead bullet should be .356". 38 spl and .357 mag lead bullets should be .358".

However if you have a tight barrel on your .38/.357 revolver, you may be able to get away with the .356" bullet. If not, you may well get a fair bit of leading and poor accuracy with the undersized bullet.

Chris

earplug   

For the last 15 years I have bought only 9mm 147 grain lead bullets and shot them in both my 9mm and my 38 sp revolver. I think they actually were more accurate in the 38 than the 9mm. I saw no difference. I'd give it a try.

Chris

Curious, are you shooting a Colt revolver? The past Colts I have owned liked smaller bullets then a Smith and Wesson.

Might be a selling point on buying a Colt?

Steve S   

I've used several 9mm's, but I've only used a S&W mod 19 and a 586. I don't load to max. I load to about a 135 power factor. I've had no leading issue's. The lead I've been buying is running 356. I've never checked the bore diameter on either S&W. It just saved me from buying two different bullets. Call me cheap.