Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Inner dialog - Conversations you've had...

-JQ-

• 5 months later...
  • Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

sometimes ill see an odd shot or wonder 'was that tape coming off the target or wood chips?'

then sometimes ill realize that i need to be going faster and ill kind of speed up a bit but other than that im pretty slack jawed and theres not alot of brain talk going on

oh great a Texas star, never shot one of those :surprise:

shoot popper to activate star? oh crap, this thing spins. :blink:

Sherwyn or Drazy, who came up with evil idea? :devil:

What, I'm first to shoot, buttttt the GMs are watching

I'm going to need more ammo

shooter ready? Noooooooo

paper-paper, activator move

Oh crap

tic toc tic toc tic toc ding

how long have I been standing in this door

are they still watching or have they fell asleep

reload

shoot, track that thing.

ding, its about time - move

just shoot, have to make up time

stage is over, I need to go hide-I think I may puke :sick:

• 6 months later...
  • 2 years later...

Usually when I'm shooting well is when I start the inner dialogue. I'm currently an A production shooter working on my consistency. The last time I remember the inner dialogue went like this.

Beep ,

During target transitions, " wow I can feel the slide cycling, not just the gun recoiling"

The sights are tracking real well, that looks pretty.

Shit if the sights look good why am I not pulling the trigger faster?

• 2 weeks later...

Who's up next? Me? But I don't want to go now.

Ok, I think all of my mags are loaded.

LAMR. How in the world did you fumble a load before the COF even started? Just make sure the mud didn't get in the magazine.

Standby. I wonder how long it will be unt

Oh crap, the buzzer.

Shootshootshootshootshootshootshootreloadshootshootapouigsadvhl;kjcakf;lbj

• 5 months later...

I had the inner dialog going at the GA State USPSA match this year. On one stage you were handcuffed to the table, loaded start with the gun on the table. There was enough slack between the handcuffs so that you could shoot the arrays on the sides, but you had to do it one handed. There were 3 arrays of poppers and mini poppers separated by walls, 11 pieces of steel total. My plan was to pick up the gun shoot the first array of 5 steel straight ahead through the port, transition to the right array of 3 steel (shooting right hand only), then reload during the transition from right hand to left hand for the last array of 3 steel. 11 pieces of steel and the reload to be safe.

What I actually did was,

Picked up the gun, shot the first array 1 for 1, transitioned to the right array (right hand only) and went 1 for 1 there, then transitioned to the left array (left hand only) and shot that array 1 for 1 again.

While I was shooting the left array I realized I didn't reload. I realized it as I shot the first steel, as I shot the second and third pieces I was thinking "well I guess I can't miss now".. I can still picture the sights lifting from the steel as the slide locked back on the last shot of the stage.

I won the stage in production.

Prep comes before match in my training. Ive noticed when i think to much i muck stuff up...something as simple as a reload. When im in the moment and not 'thinking' i tend to do better.

Reinforcement thoughts repeated during dry fire directly helps my match performance so far. Once you teach your sub conscience the proper fundamentals is when it becomes 'second nature' i wil keep a dialogue during walkthrough though. Mainly deciding where to be for arrays and when to reload.

Ideally i want it to go like this.

RO: shooter ready?

Me: yup

RO: standby!!!

*BEEP*

RO: if you are finished unload and show clear....

Edited by jcarpenter82

"1, 2, 3, 4, 5, .." For some reason once I start the stage I am obsessed with counting the rounds that I fired to make sure I did not miss any targets - count should match up with plan that I devised before starting the stage.... Maybe OCD :surprise:

• 4 months later...
  • 3 years later...

"Ok, this is going to suck, but just control the muzzle and get up. There's the finger, as far away as it can get from the trigger, no problems..."

Funny how slow the falling felt, like it took 3 seconds, I had easily enough time to make all the landing preparations.

lipes2.jpg

Edited by askomiko