Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Lyman 2500 Auto Flo Tumbler vs Lyman 2200 Auto Flo Tumbler

Yaarr

What is the difference between:

Lyman 2500 Pro Magnum Auto Flo Tumbler

and

Lyman 2200 Auto-Flo® Tumbler

and why is the Lyman 2500 Pro Magnum Auto Flo Tumbler cheaper?

Thanks.

The 2500 is larger than the 2200 by a 1/4 of a gallon. 1000 cases vs 750 cases (38SP). I have both. My 2200 is the only one with Auto Flo and I do not like the auto flo feature.

I suggest the 2500 without auto flo.

and

Thanks.

The 2500 is larger than the 2200 by a 1/4 of a gallon. 1000 cases vs 750 cases (38SP). I have both. My 2200 is the only one with Auto Flo and I do not like the auto flo feature.

I suggest the 2500 without auto flo.

Thanks for an answer, but Lyman make the:

2500 Pro Magnum Tumbler

2500 Pro Magnum Auto Flo Tumbler

and

2200 Auto-Flo® Tumbler

So you can get the 2500 with Auto Flo as well.

So therefore my original question still stands...

and

I was concerned, because I wondered if the 2500 had a smaller motor or was cheaper constructed, as it is bigger, holds more brass, has the Auto Flo system and therefore better value for money.

Thats why I wondered if anyone knew the difference between the models?

Thanks.

Sorry, no info on the difference, try calling Lyman direct and ask?

I like the Auto Flo feature, it works really well if you fill the tumbler full with brass. Basically when you pull the rubber plug, the media pours out, but the brass keeps tumbling in a rotating flow. This allows all the media to be shaken out from the brass, and pours out. When no more media comes out, the brass is clean of media.

This mechanics does not work well when it's partially filled that the brass doesn't keep tumbling in a rotating flow. But then again, if you only have a few to tumble, use a media separator (a colander works just fine :D just don't use it for food again, ever).

and

{Lyman 2500 Pro Magnum Auto Flo Tumbler} - {Lyman 2200 Auto-Flo® Tumbler} = Lyman 300 Auto Flo Tumbler

Hope this helps.

Edited by Winchester 69

Not sure on the difference but I have a 2500 w/ auto flo and it works great. just when you get down to the last lit bit of media left, remove the top plug pack in and stir with your hand and it will remove all the media from inside the brass.

The 2500 is slightly larger. As for the price difference, I think the 2500 is newer on the market and is a little bigger than most prefer. Thus economically cheaper.

I will say the Autoflow is a nice novelty but makes a mess.

I bought a 2200 based on reviews. Check them out at midwayusa.com

The 2200 is still not big enough and I should have bought the dillon big boy.

I think the difference lies in the construction. The 2500 was built after the 2200 so I think it has cheaper and thinner plastic. The 2200 is pretty sturdy.

Randy

I bought a 2200 based on reviews. Check them out at midwayusa.com

The 2200 is still not big enough and I should have bought the dillon big boy.

I think the difference lies in the construction. The 2500 was built after the 2200 so I think it has cheaper and thinner plastic. The 2200 is pretty sturdy.

Randy

Yeah, thats what I heard, but was not sure.

But a shame that they did that, as it holds up to 250 brass more.

• 2 months later...

I have an older autoflo, the bowl is starting to wear out so I need a new one as it has a place that the media has begun to wear through near the autoflo spout I might add.

I do really like the autoflo idea. Works quite well for me.

• 1 month later...

I also don't know about the 2200 - but I have 2500 Auto Flow & I really like it. I have over 90,000 cases through it so far & no problems.

I run pretty full loads, so I really like the Auto Flo feature. It doesn't remove the need for a media seperator - but it sure makes it a lot less messy to pour the cases along with ~10% of the media into the separator than pouring the whole thing. My only issue has been sometimes forgetting to replace the Auto Flo media plug.

• 1 month later...

I have had a Lyman 3200 Tumbler with Auto Flo for 20 years and I still love it. Not sure why they stopped selling it, sure holds enough brass for my needs!! My Lyman Auto Flo does not make a mess and it gets 90+% off the corn cob media out of the cases and I finish it off by pouring the brass over a Lyman or RCBS plastic sifter back into large bucket. My ONLY two problems is the Texas heat has shrunk the rubber gasket plug & the rubber seal on top under the clear plastic lid so I need to replace them - I use duct tape now on the pour spout so media does not leak out.

Doug

I have had a Lyman 3200 Tumbler with Auto Flo for 20 years and I still love it. Not sure why they stopped selling it, sure holds enough brass for my needs!! My Lyman Auto Flo does not make a mess and it gets 90+% off the corn cob media out of the cases and I finish it off by pouring the brass over a Lyman or RCBS plastic sifter back into large bucket. My ONLY two problems is the Texas heat has shrunk the rubber gasket plug & the rubber seal on top under the clear plastic lid so I need to replace them - I use duct tape now on the pour spout so media does not leak out.

Doug

It appears that the 2500 replaced the 3200 in that the 2500 will hold 1000 38 Sp cases the same as the 3200.

• 6 years later...

I have a Lymann 2200 with the autoflow "feature". It is quiet, and works well.

From a YouTube video "High Volume 223 on a Hornady..." I saw that, while using the tumbler to remove lube, the drain plug could be removed, draining most of the media, and, if there was enough brass, the brass-to-brass tumbling would remove the burrs from the Dillon size/trim-die (previous step). Well, it works. One boring operation completely eliminated! The brass is not damaged and keeps its mirror-finish.

Using the RCBS lube die (keeps the case feeder clean) and the Dillon trim/sizing die (buy the carbide die, not the steel one) eliminates several more.

A Hornady bullet feeder and an extensively modified Lee case turner/feeder makes a quiet, inexpensive imitation of the system in the YouTube.

The setup on a Lee loadmaster is laborious, but doing batches of 1,000 is not so bad. Three inexpensive LoadMasters means no repeat setup at all.

Steps for me:

1) Deprime and watch for bad extractor grooves, which would cause trouble later - Exposes primer pockets to cleaning

2) Clean (RCBS ultrasonic), rinse, dry and polish (corn cob, Rooster Brite) - cleans inside and keeps corn cob clean longer

3) Swage (RCBS swage die on a turret), inspect for bad cases, and sort by headstamp - a slow manual process

4) Lube/trim/size in one progressive pass

5) De-burr and clean off lube (corn cob) in Lyman 2200

6) Case gauge check (Dillon, Lee or Wilson, since EGW fails every case) - still manual process, done here saves disassembling cartridges

7) Neck expand with Lee size die partially inserted (also cleans out media), prime, powder, bullet, crimp in one progressive pass - sadly, no powder cop

8) Weigh (for QC) and put in ammo cans

Of course if you re using known brass, not range brass, some steps are not needed.

And a Dillon 1050 would combine the manual swage step (3) with the following step (4) and add a spot for the powder cop. Still need multiple passes for step 5.

Edited by BobMoore

I have a 2500 auto flow. The auto flow is stupid. It makes a mess because the media just trickles out not far enough to land in a pan set next to it. Forget the auto flow and just tip it upside down to dump it. Buy an RCBS media separator if you want to separate the media.

Agreed - Lyman's included catch pan is too small and fills up quickly if unattended, making a mess.

I use the top of my RCBS Rotary Media Separator to catch the media coming out of the Lyman 2200 empty port while the 2200 is still running, and I have no spillage at all. The RMS top is much larger than Lyman's catch pan (meaning no attention is required) and the shape makes a natural spout for emptying later.

This happens very quickly, even with a full load. There is, however, still some media in the bottleneck cases.

It is at this point that I continue running the 2200 to de-burr the case mouths from the trim operation, if this is an after-trim polish operation..

Then I open the 2200, and dump the residual media and the brass into the basket of the RCBS Rotary Media Separator, with the basket sitting in the bottom clam shell.

I restore the media to the 220, and put the now empty top on the RMS. I turn the handle a few times to removes th rest of the media with the RMS.

Still no spillage, and fast and easy. Deburring for free. Try it!