Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Best / Worst Powder Metering in Dillon Powder Measure

• 3 weeks later...
  • Replies 92
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I strongly recommend Alliant RL-15 for both 223 and 308. It is a short stick powder and meters well. I have reloaded thousands of rounds for shooting XTC matches with 24.0 gr RL-15 and 77 gr. Sierra Match King

I have to agree with this. Only difference is that I use 24.2gr.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 11 months later...

Digging up this post because I wish I'd have seen it earlier...

I've been running my 650 for almost a year now and I've had great success with:

N310

N320

N340

AA#2

Terrible mess, powder bar sticking, inconsistent drops with AA#5.

The AA#5 seems to run OK for about the first 100 then it seems to get itself worked into all the little nooks and crannies of the powder measure.

Anyone tried running Herco powder through a Dillon measure ? Just finished a jug of 800X and don't plan to use it again. Working on a jug of SR4756 now.

I used some Herco years ago before Dillon in .45acp and remember it working well but it was a long time ago so my memory could be messing with me.

Edited by P Taylor

My brother-in-law has a square deal that was rebuilt by Dillon. They had returned it with a brand-new powder measure. However Accurate Arms Number 7 was so fine in his powder measure that it would constantly lockup. The return rod would pull on the powder measure so hard that it would shake the whole powder measure scattering powder all over the machine in producing light loads. When he contacted Dillon for a new powder measure they said that they would not replace it. I have not had any problems with any of the Accurate Arms powders in two different powder measures. So much for Dillon's no BS warranty.

Edited by Pelletgun

I have yet to detect a measurable difference in charge weights with Titegroup.

might want to upgrade your scale, running inside of a tenth is really good, most guys get + or - that. If you are within .0x + or - let us know what your secret is... and whether or not it will run on a bigger machine, ie 650.

• 5 months later...

For the sake of your sanity stay away from Blue Dot. It works about as well as trying to stuff a blacksnake into a gopher hole. Wish I'd found this post before I bought a pound of it; can't wait to finish it off and move to something that works better! 550B, 40 S&W and .45 ACP.

My brother-in-law has a square deal that was rebuilt by Dillon. They had returned it with a brand-new powder measure. However Accurate Arms Number 7 was so fine in his powder measure that it would constantly lockup. The return rod would pull on the powder measure so hard that it would shake the whole powder measure scattering powder all over the machine in producing light loads. When he contacted Dillon for a new powder measure they said that they would not replace it. I have not had any problems with any of the Accurate Arms powders in two different powder measures. So much for Dillon's no BS warranty.

have you relieved, debured, and polished the interior of the measure? The face of the powder bar must also be true. With dense powders, the weight of the powder can cause uneven powder drops / lockup. Run a powder baffle. I run two powder baffles and would swear by them. Pm me if you need help with any of the above and I will start a DIY thread for this.

I use WSF for 40S&W and 9mm and get really consistant charges. There does not seem to be a whole lot of talk about this powder but my guns are still relatively clean after matches. Really accurate loads. I would like to hear if others are using this powder and what what there loads and PF are. Please give bullet, grn of powder, and OAL.

I just acquired some WSF powder.. care to share your load for 9mm ? what weight bullet, how much powder & COL ?

I heard in multiple threads that Unique meters poorly in the 550, maybe it's because I have a used press which has already been broken in, but Unique dropped exactly 4.9gn every tenth round using a beam scale (I guess if I were using a digital scale I could tell +/-.01gn).

Edited by kneelingatlas

• 4 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Power Pistol and Superformance meter really well through the stock measure. H4350 is the worst with Varget running a close second. So bad in fact that I purchased a different type of measure for using stick powders on the 650. I recently got some CFE223 but have not had a chance to try it yet. Hopefully it will be similar to Superformance in the way it meters.

Ron