Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Stuck sliding glass door

My sliding glass door is stuck in the closed position. It appears that the lock functions fine but the door won't budge when unlocked. There isn't any ice or snow around the door although there is a touch of snow on some of the ground outside. How do I get this thing open?

Ok, now it appears it IS the lock that is stuck in the locked position and the handle simply doesn't unlock it. But I can't figure out a way to disassemble the lock/handle. Hoping someone can help me based on pictures of the door. There are NO screws or other obvious ways to disassemble handle on outside, on inside there are two screws but they are up against the door jam, I pulled back the trim to try and access them but it's still a severe angle resulting in screws that are already partially stripped from my efforts.

3282439892_74d4b0df7e_m.jpg

3281617315_b743c8f6ee_m.jpg

3281617221_650ac1cfdf_m.jpg

Bigger versions at http://www.flickr.com/photos/13662836@N02

Try lifting the door up by pressing up on the glass in various places (may take 2 or more people) while trying to open the door, maybe even while trying to unlock the lock ...... all at the same time.

Edited by CHRIS KEEN

Don't give up. See if you can pry the handle off that covers the thumb latch plate. Looks like it snapped into place. May have to force it. Better to replace handle than the glass panel.

Jim

We tried lifting/moving the door around as much as it'll go while trying to open it and the lock to no joy. I'll try to pry the lock apart next, tried it to some extent before without luck.

The panels on that door come out somehow. I don't recognize the hardware as being a specific company. On some doors there is a wood trim on the top held in with screws. You take the screws out, the molding comes off and the door will tip out from the top. There should be some adjustment screws on the bottom of the door. They might be on the face or Pella's have them on the side. If you adjust the door all the way down that might give you enough room to lift the door out and clear the track on the bottom. Does the handle have a set screw on the bottom of it. Sometimes the set screw holds a cover plate on, take the cover plate off and then you can get at the screws underneath the cover plate. The pictures look like to me that the door slid past the stops. There should be a stop on the top or bottom of the door that the doors hits to prevent the door from sliding to far. It might be pinched on one of these. If you can't get it PM me your number and maybe we can figure something out.

Tom

Carpenter for 20 years

The door is fixed!

Just by luck I figured out the manufacturer of the door when I recognized the door handle on a part website, the door is a Wingard, but it doesn't say Wingard ANYWHERE on the door that I can see, just a goofy little symbol.

Anyways I called Wingard, they sent a guy out the same day who fixed the door. Long story short he ripped the handle pictured off the door which allowed him to remove the screws for the outside handle which left the lock still inside the door but not attached to the door in any way, pryed door open which popped lock out of door, still attached to door jam but it fell of that easy. One of the two pieces that engage the door jam was stuck in the locked position, he replaced the lock and handles and all is back to normal, now my dogs don't stare at me saying "Hey dummy why aren't you opening the door?"

Wingard didn't charge me a penny, the door is 5-6 years old and was put in by previous owner. I now have a lot more appreciation for my sliding glass door.

:devil: I could have told you how to do it , but I would get in reprimanded and you would not have believed me any way.

You should have asked the repairman how many doors he broke when he was learning. and how many times he can reuse any part he takes out.

I have done this work for 35 years and never seen that door , I really did not know, but I was sure the Handel was going to have be ripped off with a pry bar as a start.

You should have asked the repairman how many doors he broke when he was learning.

I didn't ask him this question, however he said he'd only ever seen one other lock like this one that got stuck in the locked position and that was just a few days prior.

I was sure the Handel was going to have be ripped off with a pry bar as a start.

Just to clarify he ripped it off barehanded, no pry bar.

• 10 years later...

I agree that you should ask the company what happened there. I got a new sliding glass door a few months ago and the installers were very good, but i can't imagine having to go through this. I would highly recommend you contact the people i used conservation construction of houston and ask them about this. I wouldn't stand for this sort of thing. 

27 minutes ago, Jenny5555 said:

I agree that you should ask the company what happened there. I got a new sliding glass door a few months ago and the installers were very good, but i can't imagine having to go through this. I would highly recommend you contact the people i used conservation construction of houston and ask them about this. I wouldn't stand for this sort of thing. 

11 years later?!?😂