Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

40 Open

splashdown

• Replies 587
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I had to get creative with the barrel fit. Don't own a welder, too cheap to pay for some TIG time. Came up with a dandy solution to fix over cut lower lugs.

That sounds interesting. How about opening a thread on that in the gunsmithing section?

Take one old 5" top end with ill fit bull barrel.

Add one used Aimpoint, $20 Weigand mount and a $125 EGW cone compensator.

Throw in some elbow grease, a dremel, some files, barter for some lathe and mill time and yes....a HACKSAW.

Add that on top of my 6" Limited frame...

The $400 Open gun.

I had to get creative with the barrel fit. Don't own a welder, too cheap to pay for some TIG time. Came up with a dandy solution to fix over cut lower lugs.

I don't have my park tank heat source yet so I haven't refinished it yet. Use your imagination, it will be all black except optic and mount.

Very nice. Got that Weigand mount on two of my guns and got a few spares in the safe. How much clearance do you have between the optic and the slide?

Spotted a pound of Winchesters Auto-Comp and bought it. Have some 155gr JHP somewhere too. Will try in my SJC Open G35 conversion. We'll see. Matches to shoot for a couple weeks yet but will post chrono results when I'm freed up.

Jim

Edited by JimmyM

Ok folks,

I have my limited P16 here and have been thinking going open, mainly for the dot. And of course, the price would be much cheaper than a new 9mm gun. Where would 1 find 170 mags for the .40 Para? Sorry for not remembering all the parts people threw out in this post, but what barrels/slides,comps and dots are recommended as well? Actually, a slide mounted sight may be the ticket so that there are no holes in the Para frame and I could swap between limited/open really easy.

Thanks,

Steve

Recon that may be difficult. I dont know if they are available. I remember hearing that SPS made 170's specifically for Para Ord. I do not however know if they have ones in 40 cal. What I would do is ask HSMITH if a 40cal STi 170 could be worked on to fit in a para.

I hope this helps bro, I dont know much about para 170 mags.

Robby

STI used to make "for Para" mags. They stopped. Later on I heard from a few folks that STI for STI tubes work just fine. I have yet to try that but I now know that a standard SV tube works just dandy. No mods to the tube and no mods to the mag catch.

Later,

Chuck

Spotted a pound of Winchesters Auto-Comp and bought it. Have some 155gr JHP somewhere too. Will try in my SJC Open G35 conversion. We'll see. Matches to shoot for a couple weeks yet but will post chrono results when I'm freed up.

Jim

I think a lot of folks will be interested to see what happens with that combo. From the data on Hodgdon's site it looks like it's second only to Longshot in max velocity with the lighter bullets, but uses about 2gr less. It's even got some impressive numbers in 10mm with the highest velocity listed for the 135s, 155s, third highest with 180s and 200s...pretty surprising. If you get good accuracy with it I may have to pick up some to try building some hotter loads for my 610.

Bart could you send me the 40 cal specs for autocomp please?

Thanks

Robby

Robby,

I just looked it up on Hodgdon's website. Go to the data section and pull up .40S&W and you'll find it listed along with a bunch of other powders. Looks like it might be the powder for medium to light bullets in .40 so I'm very interested in it.

Jim

I think a lot of folks will be interested to see what happens with that combo. From the data on Hodgdon's site it looks like it's second only to Longshot in max velocity with the lighter bullets, but uses about 2gr less. It's even got some impressive numbers in 10mm with the highest velocity listed for the 135s, 155s, third highest with 180s and 200s...pretty surprising. If you get good accuracy with it I may have to pick up some to try building some hotter loads for my 610.

Come to think of it I have a few 135's to try as well. My stock barrels are a bit faster than standard rifling. So I plan to start with 7.7 grains for the 135's and 6.7 for the 155's. Should be interesting.

Jim

Once I can properly test the barrel fix, I'll post pics and a write up.

I set the optic quite low on the slide. I ignored the hole locations from Wiegand. It's around .150" over a flat top slide, at the front. The rear is a little higher.

I shot it today. One, it doesn't like my minor load with a 9lb spring. I built this top end to shoot the Pro-Am. Wouldn't fully eject the empty. I shot my standard Limited load and those shot fine. 180gr Zero's over 5.1gr of Universal. Not the ideal open load I know.

Standard .40 SV tubes work with no mods to mags or pistol? Cool, now who has any SV tubes in 40 170mm I can try? Thanks for the info btw!!! Will more than likely do the open .40 at some point.

Steve

STI used to make "for Para" mags. They stopped. Later on I heard from a few folks that STI for STI tubes work just fine. I have yet to try that but I now know that a standard SV tube works just dandy. No mods to the tube and no mods to the mag catch.

Later,

Chuck

Hey leave that alone! I am trying to get it since last night! ;-)

Steve

Attention B-Mart shoppers: STI .40 big stick, Aisle 1

Later,

Chuck

If your buying an STI 170mm tube I strongly suggest that before buying you have the seller load it to capacity with Grams, Bolen or Dawson pads and guts to make sure of the capacity. I have come across several that wouldn't load past 21 or 22 even with Grams basepad and guts. I now use those tubes for Dryfire since I can't sell them.

If your getting the tube tuned then its no big deal.

Not sure whats going on but I come across one every once in a while.

Flyin

Edited by Flyin40

Since we are talking mags for a minute:

I spent some time last night tinkering with my 170 tube. The problem I have is that it is very difficult to load the last 5 or 6 rounds. They'll go, but I have to tap the bottom of the mag to get the rounds to set down a bit. I have to do this for every round past 20. I tried a Grams and a Bolen follower. I have a bolen spring.

What I found is that the follower is tilting, a lot, at about the 20 round mark. I cut a groove in the follower to hold the first round and that seemed to help a bit. Basically made it look like an Arredondo follower. Will test it soon.

Since we are talking mags for a minute:

I spent some time last night tinkering with my 170 tube. The problem I have is that it is very difficult to load the last 5 or 6 rounds. They'll go, but I have to tap the bottom of the mag to get the rounds to set down a bit. I have to do this for every round past 20. I tried a Grams and a Bolen follower. I have a bolen spring.

What I found is that the follower is tilting, a lot, at about the 20 round mark. I cut a groove in the follower to hold the first round and that seemed to help a bit. Basically made it look like an Arredondo follower. Will test it soon.

Yep, some of those 170 tubes are easy to load and some are hard. I found out the hard way that all of them don't load to full capacity.

Flyin

Jim

Waiting to hear what you think about the AutoComp powder. I just called 20 gun shops in my area looking for it and struck out completely.

Jim

Waiting to hear what you think about the AutoComp powder. I just called 20 gun shops in my area looking for it and struck out completely.

I have some 135gr Rainer's and 155gr JHP loads ready. Hope to have chrono results tomorrow. Will report here first :cheers:

Jim

SJC G35 Open Conversion

135 Grain Rainer Plated

WSP Primer

8.3 grains Winchester AutoComp

flier

High: 1333

Low: 1238

ES: 95

Ave: 1296

PF: 177 sharp but pretty flat.

Will be a keeper at 8.0 grains.

155 grain Hornady JHP

WSP Primer

6.7 grains Winchester AutoComp

High: 1130

Low: 1060

E.S. : 70

Ave.: 1103

S.D. : 17.4

P.F. : 169.4

Flat and very pleasant to shoot.

Will up it a tenth for a better

PF margin.

Lot of testing needed especially from "true" compensated

guns. But based on this initial test the 155 is a real stand out.

My gun configuration likes the heavier bullet and a 165 grainer'

might be optimum. But I can say with confidence the 155 is by

a wide margin the best "light" bullet major load I've tried.

Jim

Thanks for the info Jimmy. I just may have to try the 155 gr bullet eventually. I shot my gun today with the new 9 lb spring and it felt a lot better. I ran the 140 grain bullets with 8.6 gr Silhouette and once that ran out, 8.6 gr of Power Pistol. The Silhouette load felt pretty good. The Power Pistol wasn't bad either, but it chronoed at 180 PF. Might step it down to 8.3 PP and try again next week.

I tested (and showed off) my .40 open project a little today. I was even able to compare it side by side with a fellow shooters 9major. Now the 9major had a C-more and mine has an Aimpoint mounted low (almost touches the flat top slide), but besides optics I wanted to compare recoil. Before today, and besides the gun I built, I've never shot an open gun before so this was a treat. I didn't shoot it too much but MAN was that thing LOUD. Holy crap, the concussion off the front of the 9major gun was immense! I've been around them before at matches but I didn't think shooting one would be so abrasive. Because the dot to bore heights were very different, this may not have been the best comparison though. However, it did reveal some interesting things.

One. The dot travel was very similar. I like the Aimpoint better.

Two. I HATE the concussion off of 9 Major guns! It was really distracting, and I was double plugged. It was harsh on the hand but I expected that.

I was shooting my standard .40 major load of 180gr Zero over 5.1gr of U.C. Not the ideal open load. However, is there a point of diminishing returns with faster/hotter loads to work the comp versus the effectiveness of the comp? In other words, if the load is soft and flat in a limited gun wouldn't it be even softer, flatter in an open gun?

I'm still going to order some Nosler 150's to test, but I REALLY like that my open gun (top end) doesn't punch me in the face when I shoot it.

Some pics: I swapped to a blue Aimpoint with a 10moa dot since these pics. 9 pound spring works with both major and minor loads.

The overcut barrel lug fix is going well. Write up to follow.

post-8536-1235966177_thumb.jpg

post-8536-1235966204_thumb.jpg