Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

HK

radi_33125

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I was wondering what gun do most H&K shooters shoot?

Thanks

I shoot an HK USP 40. You can get a nice trigger job with the LEM trigger (and some gunsmith work that will make it a smooooth pull). You can also put a Jet Funnel on there (mag well) you need to buy 16 round mags for that (you can find those at CalSportingArmory.com) and that will take you to limited or limited 10. I bought my HK before I got into the sport and needed to make it fit what I wanted shoot in the sport...but for what it is worth I would buy and XD due to the availibility of gun smiths and part availiability and price.

JMO,

Phil

Edited by betterment

I have a USP Tactical .45 that I shoot in L10; only modification is a custom-made fiber optic front post. (No jet funnels or extended mags for the .45!)

I too am shooting it because it's what I had when I started. I like the gun, and it's what sits in the nightstand with 12+1 of Federal HST . . . but if you're looking to buy a gun for the sport, I'd avoid HKs for the same reasons Phil mentioned. (Though I would say that exactly what platform you go with depends on what your goals are in the sport.) If you've already got it, bring it out and shoot it! Mine has been super reliable and fun to shoot.

Just my $0.02.

-- John.

A .40 USP Expert here. Mods are a fiber sight (cut down the dovetail on a Kimber sight), 10lb recoil spring, removed the firing pin safety, some internal polishing, and some grip tape. Been experimenting with +2 mag extensions, which work OK, but no luck trying to modify or find improved followers or mag springs.

I love the gun, how it feels and the controls (esp. the mag release) and the accuracy and especially the reliability (was at a pouring rain muddy match once where even Glocks were jamming, but not my HK). I just bought a Tanfoglio though and will likely be switching to that for Limited this year. The mag capacity on the Expert really isn't that competitive in limited, aftermarket support is about zero, and I think the gun is slowing me down some too. The recovery time from each shot is just too much, I think it's the double recoil springs that make the sight sort of do a figure 8 before it comes back down. Only one practice session with the Tanfolio and I can already tell it's much better in that regard.

There was a guy at one of our clubs who used to run a Mark 23. The gun was just too big and heavy and not nimble enough. It was sort of like watching a semi truck try to do an autocross course :)

Edited by DarthMuffin

I do not think you would be at a loss shooting an Expert in .40 with jet funnel,...shoot it in L10 though. IN production really take a hard look at the new P30-L 9mm. It shoots much flatter than the USP every did,...front and rear cocking serrations,...low profile novak type sights,..better mag release,..internal buffer,.and three rear panels AND three side panels in S, M and Large. The trigger reach in DA is shorter than my Shadow or Stock2,..and it sits farely low in the hand. Trigger pull is consistant in DA and SA. The trigger pull can be lowered easily by changing the hammer spring and polishing up the FPB and replacing the FPB spring with a lower weight spring.

Arredondo mag extensions work great with the Expert whitemags, and they come with the appropriate extended mag springs.

I had some parts breakage at about 75k rds.

The whitemags are not that durable, come to think of it.

FY42385

I have used a USP .45, V-1. I got it after watching the movie "Collateral." I like it, but my son (and he's pretty good) hates the ergonomics. I'll still use it once in a while. I will say that it sure is a dependable gun. My USP Compact is cool too (9mm).

I have run my Combat Competition O.D. green in uspsa limited on an off for 2 yrs. I even run minor loads. I also used it in a State idpa championship match ..... I enjoy it. I do not shoot it as smoothly as my custom 1911's mainly due to the stock V1 trig .... It is a beatiful piece. Extremely accurate.

HH

• 4 months later...

I have run my duty gun (HK USP 45 w/LEM) in L10 with success. I recently have switched over to the USP in 40 with LEM to run in limited. I got the Arredondo +4's but unfortunately they make the mags too long. :( I'm going to investigate the +2's as I think they might work. I don't think you need an awesome trigger to be a top competitor - I'm using the factory 8# LEM and the heavier trigger makes my resets lightning fast!

HK's are definitely rare in the sport, but running the gun well is far more important than equipment.. Not to mention I've rarely had my HK malfunction if I make my reloads right!

I was wondering what gun do most H&K shooters shoot?

Thanks

I shoot an HK USP 40. You can get a nice trigger job with the LEM trigger (and some gunsmith work that will make it a smooooth pull). You can also put a Jet Funnel on there (mag well) you need to buy 16 round mags for that (you can find those at CalSportingArmory.com) and that will take you to limited or limited 10. I bought my HK before I got into the sport and needed to make it fit what I wanted shoot in the sport...but for what it is worth I would buy and XD due to the availibility of gun smiths and part availiability and price.

JMO,

Phil

Did you just use the words "nice", "HK", and "trigger" in the same post? :roflol:

• 3 weeks later...

USP40 and USP9 are the most common I have seen in IDPA or USPSA matches. I used to shoot my USP45 in L10 but, I was riding the saftey/decocker and decocked the gun way too often. I can say that they work well and are very accurate.

Run what you have it just may work well for you.

USP40 and USP9 are the most common I have seen in IDPA or USPSA matches. I used to shoot my USP45 in L10 but, I was riding the saftey/decocker and decocked the gun way too often. I can say that they work well and are very accurate.

Run what you have it just may work well for you.

a $10 detent plate for variant # 9 would have fixed that issue. the lever only acts as the safety in function for V9.