Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Benelli SuperSport II for Sporting Clays

ranger

Anyone have any experience with the Benelli Super Sport II 12 gauge in sporting clays? I am looking at one with the 30" barrel. I am experinced SC shooter - I now use a 325 and shot autos (Browning Gold SC and Beretta 391 SC) in the past. This new Benelli caught my eye at a local dealer and he wants to move it (about $1300). This is the one with the space age carbon fiber look and the "special" stock that supposedly soaks up recoil and has multiple pads for adjustable length of pull and multiple combs for adjustment, too.

I know that it will be light. I will shoot mostly 1 oz loads plus an occasional Super Handicap or White Rhino through it.

Do not need it but I am being drawn back to buy it............

From what I have seen and heard gas-operated guns are about the only game in town for competitive clay target sports. If Benelli can make a gun that kicks less than the gas guns I'm sure you will see lots of pros shooting them. So far, they aren't. No doubt Benelli makes good guns, but recoil adds up when shooting hundreds of rounds in a day.

i have a legacy sport in 12 ga and a super sport in 20 ga. love them both. my wife shoots a browning gold sc. the best thing i can say that the benelli has been more reliable than the browning. the browning has cycling problems 3to4 times out of a 100. i shoot the 20 ga the most now and the for stock is very slim i like that. the browning has a very fat (wide). $1300 is a lot less than i paid for either one of my guns. i would buy it. the comfort tech stock with the chevrons of rubber in them works quite well i have that stock on my wife's M2 field.

I have shot a couple thousand rounds 30" Benelli with a Comfort Tech stock and a few more from a 391.

I enjoyed shooting it- pointed well for me and is very easy to clean the works. Since it is a nongas gun there are no combustion left in the works. Comparing it to my 391 Technys Gold Sporting. The 391 points very well and is reasonably easy to clean. My 391 is both gas operated and heavier (8oz recoil reducer is stock in stock). There is not doubt in my mind that there is less recoil with the Beretta. However, with target loads, 1oz - 2 3/4 drams I did not find it significant (currently I am not particularly recoil sensitive). Reliability? I've seen both shotguns have problems feeding on a sporting clays courses. I had one problem with the Benelli during driving rain (open bolt on sporting clays course with reliably feeding a round into the chamber. The Beretta ran smoothly the first couple thousand rounds with no failures then it would jam with the shell hanging up on the right side of the chamber. (Replaced shell carrier lever and all springs recoil, magazine, .... recoil spring follower) No problems for 10,000+ rounds. Experienced some feed problems at this point and replaced springs. No problems for 10,000+ rounds. After that I replaced recoil spring every 5 to 10K. I am not a fanatic about cleaning but keep the gas ports clear and run the gun with light lubrication including the gas system. I have disassembled the fore end nut a couple time while I have owned the gun. Only broken part on the Beretta was the operating rod and sleeve.

If I were going to buy a new semi auto for Sporting I'd get the 391 - lots of doodads to experiment with, lighter recoil especially with heavier 3 dram + loads, wood stock can be reshaped easier, heavier but still balances and moves well.... But if I already owned a Benelli I'd probably just shoot it and not worry about it.

I got carried away but there should be some useful info in my post.

Edited by Tangram

Great insights - I appreciate the feedback and comments. I'll swing by and see if the Benelli Super Sport II is still "beckoning".......

I have friend that had one and I shot it extensively. I found it to be a reliable shotgun but also found it too light for my liking. It felt "whippy" to me, particularly compared to my Kemen KM-4 with 31.5" barrels. The other thing that I did not particularly care for was what I term to be a mushy trigger, again compared to my Kemen.

What I do like is the simplicity of take down for cleaning, reliality, and durability.

You may want to find one you can shoot before laying out your money, particularly since you are used to shoting an O/U.

• 2 years later...

Anyone have any experience with the Benelli Super Sport II 12 gauge in sporting clays? I am looking at one with the 30" barrel. I am experinced SC shooter - I now use a 325 and shot autos (Browning Gold SC and Beretta 391 SC) in the past. This new Benelli caught my eye at a local dealer and he wants to move it (about $1300). This is the one with the space age carbon fiber look and the "special" stock that supposedly soaks up recoil and has multiple pads for adjustable length of pull and multiple combs for adjustment, too.

I know that it will be light. I will shoot mostly 1 oz loads plus an occasional Super Handicap or White Rhino through it.

Do not need it but I am being drawn back to buy it............

If looking for low recoil in an auto look at a Beretta 391

If you go with an auto, go with a 391 Beretta. I've had 2 Browning Golds and both had cycling/FTE problems. One went back to Browning 2 times the other 1 time and the problem never got solved. Sold both and moved on to Beretta. I now have 3 391s (one .20 & 2 .12), a 3901 and an Extrema.

I had a Beretta 391 Teknys deconstruct on me. The fancy replaceable rib would not stay on the gun.

Its hard to shoot a round of clays when the rib falls off every 3-5 shots.

Also the gas piston gets really carboned up like an AR bolt. Beretta bought it back from me because they didn't have fix.

I took the money and bought a Benelli SuperSport. Its hasn't jammed ever, even using 1oz 3 1/4 Dram shells.

It hasnt deconstructed either.

It kicks more than a gas gun but less than an Over/Under.

For clay games nothing is better than an Over/Under.

I wish Benelli sold 21 inch barrels for the SuperSport, I would make it a 3Gun specific shotgun.

I started many years ago with a Rem 1100 then moved to the Browning Gold Sporting Clays when they first hit the market - I shot MANY rounds through the Gold for a decade and the only issue was a broken firing pin and the bolt handle sheared off - the Gold is still in the safe and I carry it as my "backup".

I bought a Beretta 391 30 inch Sporting Clays (not the Teknys) because it was THE AUTO for Sporting Clays - unfortunately, I got one of the batch that had carrier issues - it was never reliable even after I did the carrier upgrade through Cole's - Beretta was no help by the way- it sits in the safe, too . I bought a Browning 325 32 inch European and that has been my clays gun for a long time. The Benelli beckons though, one day if I find one at the right price - I will get it.

I have the supersport which has the carbon fiber looking stock. I just shot 5 rounds of skeet for a class yesterday. I have put at least a couple thousand rounds through mine and it has never had a problem whatsoever. I did have to switch to a higher cheek pad to help mount the gun properly. The recoil seems to be less than that of my dads old 12ga pump that I used before this gun. I run 1oz loads with no problems and I also use the walmart winchester 1 1/8 oz loads.

The supersport II has a wood stock and I have not had a chance to try one. I wonder how big of a difference there is in recoil between the sport and sportII.

I originally was going to buy a 391 but I liked the look and feel of the benelli better.

If this means anything, I sell more chokes for the Beretta 391 than I do for Benelli, probably 5 to 1

The gas guns seem to be more sought after. I have not had a chance to fire a 391, so while I like the fit and feel of the benelli, for all I know the 391 may be softer shooting.

My Super sport came with 5 different extended crio treated choke tubes. I don't foresee benelli owners buying more choke tubes if they have a full set already. Do the choke tubes wear out over time?

It is always best to try out the different models you are considering for a purchase. When I bought my gun, I didn't know anyone who had a sporting style shotgun to try out and I had only shot on a trap range once and I mostly shot on blm land. I would suggest renting before buying. I am very happy with my choice, but but it could have gone the other way.

I also would not buy a Glock, and am a very happy with my tricked out XD that I shoot in competition. Some of us gravitate toward the great, but less popular guns. It doesn't matter if anyone else likes it, as long as it performs for the shooter using it.

• 2 months later...

I have the SuperSport as well as a 391 sporting and dedicated O/U for clays. I had Briley rework the trigger which made it better, but will never be quite as good as the 391 or O/U. Still good though. Easy to add weight to the SuperSport stock or mag tube to balance to your style. Shims offer enough flexibility to fit most shooters. Very reliable from 7/8 oz up to WW Super Target. That said, if you are very serious about competitive clays, it is likely not the ultimate solution. But....it is a very nice package, reliable and well designed. Really enjoy shooting mine every now and then.

I have the SuperSport as well as a 391 sporting and dedicated O/U for clays. I had Briley rework the trigger which made it better, but will never be quite as good as the 391 or O/U. Still good though. Easy to add weight to the SuperSport stock or mag tube to balance to your style. Shims offer enough flexibility to fit most shooters. Very reliable from 7/8 oz up to WW Super Target. That said, if you are very serious about competitive clays, it is likely not the ultimate solution. But....it is a very nice package, reliable and well designed. Really enjoy shooting mine every now and then.

Thanks for the info. I am new to clays of any kind. Right now just shooting Trap but I want to get into sporting clays as well. I had a cheap O/U that I ended up hating and not doing well with. Then decide to use my semi, probably the only one at the club shooting a $300 semi but it's what I have. The rounds improved but I need more practice. So I am always looking for input on shotguns. The Super Sport I felt would be ideal as I shot the semi's better but I see everyone else using O/U's of some variation. That makes me think I should use an O/U instead of semi. Anyways I have been looking at the Browning Citori and Cynergy models and Franci's new SL model.

For what it is worth, I see everything from really great shooters using beat up 391's to guys with deep pockets running a $10,000 Krieghoff. The o/u will generally give you an edge on reliability, be easier to clean and give the flexibility to use 2 different chokes. I've owned a number of both through the years and went down the path of thinking I needed an o/u. Still have them and still enjoy shooting them often. Semis are easier to fit to your body shape and shooting style though. At the end of the day it has to be reliable and shoot where you look.

I'd offer to not get caught up in the o/u vs semi thing. Try as many as you can and go with what works. Remember the best style points come from smoked targets and Xs on the scorecard.

For what it is worth, I see everything from really great shooters using beat up 391's to guys with deep pockets running a $10,000 Krieghoff. The o/u will generally give you an edge on reliability, be easier to clean and give the flexibility to use 2 different chokes. I've owned a number of both through the years and went down the path of thinking I needed an o/u. Still have them and still enjoy shooting them often. Semis are easier to fit to your body shape and shooting style though. At the end of the day it has to be reliable and shoot where you look.

I'd offer to not get caught up in the o/u vs semi thing. Try as many as you can and go with what works. Remember the best style points come from smoked targets and Xs on the scorecard.

Thanks for the advice. I am afraid I am already caught up in the semi vs O/U. Can't seem to make a decision on it. I have 3 shotguns I really like, well maybe 4, just can't decide. Franchi O/U Instinct, Benelli Super Sport, Remington 1100 Comp and Benelli M2 in 28". I gather that most folks who shoot clays have multiple guns and vary the use based on what they are doing that day. Hard to find places that offer these up for shooting but I will keep on plugging away at it.

I recently purchased a Sport II. I've only ever shot O/U; this is my first semi-auto. I took it out for the first time last weekend. It's going to take some getting used to the extra 'monkey motion' of the action cycling but it's not a deal breaker for me. The gun is light but the "Inertia" system (aka a spring in the stock) does a great job of taking care of recoil. I like that it is *not* gas driven. It shoots very cleanly! I'm not big on ported guns however. The exhaust is a bit distracting to me and slows me a split second before getting on that second target. That's a personal thing though! I really like the higher rib. Wish the trigger was a skosh smoother but hopefully that will come with time. For the money, it's a great value and I'm glad I bought one! I'm going to have a close friend who does professional wood working put a lacquer finish on the stock and forearm. It'll be just as pretty as my 682 Gold E then! ;)