Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

The best piece of equipment

JasonC

The best thing I have bought are football cleats. I can accelerate, decelerate and turn without slipping.

However, the reason they have been the best purchase is not because of the great traction, it's because I no longer think about slipping.

The best thing I have bought are football cleats. I can accelerate, decelerate and turn without slipping.

However, the reason they have been the best purchase is not because of the great traction, it's because I no longer think about slipping.

I thought these are illegal? Maybe that's only in IDPA.

A.T.

I thought these are illegal? Maybe that's only in IDPA.

A.T.

Must just be in IDPA because about 50% of the USPSA shooters I see were them.

So golf shoes are ok?

A.T.

Jason,

Be advised it was my Land Sharks that allowed me to catch a cleat and damn near break an ankle last May :surprise: . There was a guy who used to shoot with us named Todd that blew out a knee catching a cleat at Prado. Caveat Emptor...

Later,

Chuck

But then again, without cleats, the other flipside is this:

DQ.jpg

slight thread drift on...

dagnabit, if these ranges would splurge for bunchs and bunches of pea gravel, we wouldn't have to worry about cleats, for the most part.... :P

DQ.jpg

dagnabit, if these ranges would splurge for bunchs and bunches of pea gravel, we wouldn't have to worry about cleats, for the most part.... :P

Ugly... what range is that?

Jason,

Be advised it was my Land Sharks that allowed me to catch a cleat and damn near break an ankle last May :surprise: . There was a guy who used to shoot with us named Todd that blew out a knee catching a cleat at Prado. Caveat Emptor...

Later,

Chuck

Slip-slide versus catching a cleat......I see the danger, but personally, I now use my cleats for virtually all matches.

Sandro wrote:

I don't know.

The guy there is a member here. I just can't remember his screenname. He is also on the Sig forum but under a different screenname.

He posted a link to his google video's asking for advice on shooting technique, shooting faster, etc.

And then there was this video.

Seriously, if I did know what range it was or who the shooter was, I would NOT broadcast it here.

I think he has learned lesson. Probably still feels badly about it and the subsequent DQ. And he probably would NOT want to be reminded about it all the time.

Sorry....

Jason,

Later,

Chuck

Slip-slide versus catching a cleat......I see the danger, but personally, I now use my cleats for virtually all matches.

Yup,

I used them for probably 2 years after a face plant. They are great for the kind of field courses that we do. My mishap was actually on a stage that required minimum movement. The stage consisted of 2 classic targets and 2 poppers that you engaged through a stack of barrels and three classics on both sides that you engaged under a barrier. You had to stay in a box that was in front of a fake well. I am 6, 4" so I pretty well filled in the shooting area so what I was going to have to do was to shoot the downrange stuff, squat left and shoot under that wall and then shift right and get the last three. All I had to do was to move to right about 2 feet. I had to move to be able to get an angle on all three targets on the right side.

I got all the down range stuff in 6 rounds, squatted down and ripped through the left side and then went to shift right. The cleats on my shoe were dug in real well. When I shifted, everything above my right ankle went right but my 'Shark stayed put. I started to go down hard, folding my ankle but I managed to catch myself on the well and stop the downward fall. I cleared the gun and put it on the well and then got help to try and stand back up. I guess I was probably to 60 or 70 degrees on the ankle when I caught myself. It took many months before I would not worry putting weight on that foot. I switched to a pair of 8" 5-11 boots and they are fine. I do not recall any slipping and the ankle support is wonderful.

My friend Todd had the unfortunate opportunity to get his cleats tangled up in some desert surface growth (some call it grass but it is more like twine) that had been dried out for a few months.

For the most part, cleats are the ticket. Just be careful.

Later,

Chuck

ETA: This is the stage that got me. http://nrg.jvdynamics.com/nrg/G2Bridge/ind...g2_itemId=14049

Edited by ChuckS

DQ.jpg

Don't know but I think it makes Tulsa Open Natls 08 look like a dry desert :surprise:

I don't remember his name either (I think the range is in FL) but I do recall him saying he got cleats after this incident though.

Don't they make a cleat with ankle support? Seems that would be the ticket if ankle support is your need and grip is a must.

Jimmy,

I am not sure if such an animal exists but I have found that, for our surfaces at least, the 5-11s do fine.

And back along the mental theme of Jason's original post, I remembered some FUD that was related to transitioning to wood platforms while wearing cleats. It was probably not worth worrying about but I did.

Now if only someone could make a shoe that keeps you from tripping over objects :rolleyes:

Later,

Chuck

I have been using the Nike Sharks with no adverse ankle issues or slipping on wood surfaces. I can still pivot suffisciently also. It does help knowing that you have secure footing. ;) It may take some people awhile to get used to them. But they really help out here in the sandy conditions.

I got good footing in sandy conditions. One time it was too good :blink:

I never had a problem on platforms that I remember. I do remember that I would consciously think about it during the walk through and while running the stage. I would think caution entering a platform when I should of been thinking "get your fat ass up there NOW" or better yet, not "thinking" about that stuff at all (see below) . My current footwear do not seem to need any concern or consideration in those kind of maneuvers. That, combined with confidence in ankle support is a winning combination in my head. YMMV.

I want to thank Jason for starting this thread. He is pretty good at detailed examination of stuff when it comes to equipment choices. I would almost accuse him of being an engineer but he would probably be insulted...

Later,

Chuck

Perhaps my point was too subtle.

"the reason they have been the best purchase is not because of the great traction, it's because I no longer think about slipping."

Having equipment that allows me to shoot without distractions has done as much for improving my performance as any skill I have developed. I particularly like my cleats because they were a great value. $25 on sale a few years ago. I consider them to be as important as my $1,000 worth of Grams tuned mags.

DQ.jpg

Don't know but I think it makes Tulsa Open Natls 08 look like a dry desert :surprise:

*Cough* Really didn't need a reminder of that day...

Thats Guncraft in Ruskin. Bare grass + tennis shoes + morning dew + newb = DQ

Learned a lot from that day. Thankfully my first and only DQ so far.

Learn from my mistake. Buy cleats so you don't have to worry about it.

Edited by Z32MadMan

Yep, cleats are a necessity for me but the one piece of equipment that I couldn't do without when I first discovered it was Pro-Grip. I thought that was the greatest thing. Would walk around the matches with one white hand :D . It gave me a confidence that there was no way I was going to lose that gun.

I discovered stippling and don't use it too much anymore but every once in a while if I need to pull off a smokin draw on a particular stage I'll take it out of the range bag :rolleyes:

thinking of this post reminds me of that video of Chris Tilley shooting a stage in Flip Flops, its here somewhere. Anyways Cleats are definately the way to go, or something with some aggressive tread. As far as pea gravel after a few people shoot the stage and loosen up the gravel that becomes a problem with slippage. I personally like grass, but its harder to find your brass.