Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

removing the stock on my SX2

jbudinoff

All:

I am going to try a homebrew pistolgrip stock for my SX2 by modifying an 1100 pistol grip stock to fit. I tinker with my glock and AR, but have little experience with anything beyond barrel removal and cleaning for my SX2.

I removed the recoil pad and now am looking at the base of the springtube/plate; it has a castle nut on the end with internal slots for some kind of pin that is down inside. I assume the next step is to remove this nut and the whole stock comes off, yes?

I just dont want to do something I'll a gunsmith to put back together if I botch it.

Any suggestions on how to remove a stock of an SX2 would be appreciated, as well as stocks that would be "closest" to fitting an SX2.

Thanks

Jason

• 2 weeks later...

Guys,

I have fitted quite a few PG stocks to Golds / Winchesters and a few years ago sent a few people the instructions and photos of how to modify Speedfeed Tac IV stocks intended to fit the Remington 100 11/87 series. I have had quite a few quiries since but had somehow lost the instructions - I found them last week and figure if I post them here people can look them up anytime if they want to have a go. I know Winchester now make a factory PG stock but this allows you to modify any Remington style stock if their one doesnt suit your needs.....

Just remember PG stocks on shotguns is ALWAYS wrong ................. :cheers:

INSTRUCTIONS

I am no gunsmith and Kurt and Trapr will confirm that but this can be easily done with most tools you will

probably already possess. I have written it so it should be straight forward for most people. Dimenstions are in millimeters...... SORRY !!!!

Thats right.... the Metric system.... check out the brains on Brad.... ok back in the room now... Hopefully someone smart will provide the equivalent measurements for you colonials :rolleyes:

The art to making one of these stocks fit is taking your time and not over doing it. It is easy, just go bit by bit and dont rush it as it is easy to ruin the stock. The stock in question is a Remmy 1100 Speedfeed IVs, although the principle is the same on the 11/87 just a bit more work.

The picture's at the end should show what it will look like if done carefully. One is on a Browning Gold, they will interchange and it also still fits the 1100 it was designed for. 1 Stock that fits 3 different guns...Cool !

OK picture 1 and 2 shows the first job. Take a medium sanding Dremel piece and remove the excess plastic from the end of the stock. Keep it uniform across and do not take too much off at once. You will be able to fine fit later so dont try and make it exact now. Take the material back till you have about 3-4 mm of plastic left. You will take it back more than this later.

OK, picture 3 shows the tricky bit of work that needs doing. Be very carefull here and only take a minimum off at a time - DONT do much as it is almost perfect as is. Using a fine file or a fine Dremel sanding piece gently remove the tapered edge off the stock to make the edge square as per the diagram. The SX frame accepts a square edge, but if you remove too much the stock will not fit snugly. ONLY remove the taper - DONT do much as it is almost perfect as is.

Picure no 4 is how your stock end should be resembling. Take the trigger group out of your gun and you will see that at the bottom of the face some plastic needs removing where the frame turns in.

On pictures 5 and 6 this is shown where the stock face cuts in above the trigger group groove. By putting the stock on the gun you will see what I mean. The photo with the pen, is indicating where the cresent cut away is needed both sides of the face. This cresent cut is just to avoid the protruding metal at the rear of the gun frame. Take the plastic away using a Dremel until the frame no longer prevents it engaging in the socket.

This is the time you can fine tune the face of the stock and the square edge around the face to make the stock fit snug. Keep putting it on the gun, identifing where more removal is required and continue slowly until it fits.... see 8, 9 and 10 for flush fitting.

Almost there ! Now to cut away for the trigger group. The indent on the stock face needs to be really cut back to fit the trigger group. How this bit ends up looking is not that important as you cannot see it and it doesnt effect the action, but be carefull as you could drill through the pistol grip and come out where the thumb web of your hand would sit. You only need to drill in by about 1 1/2 inches.

Look at pictures 5 and 6, examine the diagram at picture 7, and then look at your stock face. You will see the rectangle you are going to drill into. Drill 4 holes using a no 6 drill 1 1/2 inches into the stock in the corners of a square as per the diagram - do not over drill ! Next take your wood cutter and drill in the centre to remove the plastic the four holes surround. Again do not drill to far.

Use either a sharp chisel or a drill bit to cut away the sides and make the hole clean and after putting the trigger group on your gun test fit it. You will probably find you need to cut the top inside of the trigger group hole back towards the recoil spring hole to allow the angle of the trigger group to fit. Look at pic 6 and see how thin this area is in plastic. Dont worry this cant hurt the stock. By doing it carefully eventually the stock will fit nicely over the Trigger Group.

This is almost it done. You will need to cut a 15mm length of 22mm diameter copper plumbing pipe, or use a number of washers, to put over the recoil spring tube when screwing the stock on as there is a gap between the nut thread and the nut stop in the stock. Put the stock on, discard the flat metal SX plate for fitting the stock, slip on the copper ring / washers, put on the SX stock ring, then put on and tightern the nut with a 19mm socket.

That is it !! Just remember to take it slowly and it will turn out fine. Keep checking it against the gun to make sure you dont take to much off.

If this seems too much, send it to Benny and he can cut it up and do a much better job than me I am sure ! :cheers:

Good luck

Mike

post-2653-1232961186_thumb.jpg

post-2653-1232961532_thumb.jpg

post-2653-1232961632_thumb.jpg

post-2653-1232961652_thumb.jpg

post-2653-1232963387_thumb.jpg

post-2653-1232963416_thumb.jpg

post-2653-1232963550_thumb.jpg

post-2653-1232963920_thumb.jpg

Edited by mike.45

• 1 year later...

last few photos of finished stock - and one of my Sponsored Nordic Benelli !!!!!

.........the way God intended shotguns too look !!! :lol:

Mike.45,

Dude, I followed your directions and fit a Speedfeed IVs on my FN. I'm pumped that it's easier to handle the shotty with my bad rotator cuff. All I got to do now is shoot the thing. I'm going to take my Remy 1100 and compare/contrast. I appreciate your detailed post. I did not have to use the copper pipe for the new stock though. I tried my stock plate/washer and 19mm bolt and it all seemed to fit well. Thanks again.

Racine

• 4 months later...

last few photos of finished stock - and one of my Sponsored Nordic Benelli !!!!!

.........the way God intended shotguns too look !!! :lol:

Mike.45,

Dude, I followed your directions and fit a Speedfeed IVs on my FN. I'm pumped that it's easier to handle the shotty with my bad rotator cuff. All I got to do now is shoot the thing. I'm going to take my Remy 1100 and compare/contrast. I appreciate your detailed post. I did not have to use the copper pipe for the new stock though. I tried my stock plate/washer and 19mm bolt and it all seemed to fit well. Thanks again.

Racine

pics of the finished product???

• 8 years later...