Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

fast or slow burning powder 9mm

chi

chi,

You might provide some extra info about your gun.

If this gun is for Steel Challenge type matches (where you just have to hit the steel) you can go with a lower power factor without much worry.  If it is for a steel match that has poppers and such (that you have to push over) you might want a litle more juice in the loads...or not.

A lot of the big bigs seem to set up their steel guns to be pretty light, so that they move from taget to target quickly.  They take weight off the slide and such, so that the gun cycles faster with the lower power loads.

Springs and how much comp you have can also be a factor.

In general...a slower burning powder will have more gas to vent thru the comp...making it more effective.

Flex thanks for the reply.  I was thinking a gun for the Steel C. and for knocking down plates for steel matches.    Since I really cant  have two different guns.   I was thinking about using a titumin comp.    But not sure yet.   Any thoughts, Flex?

So what your saying is use a slow burning powder.   Which one?  Sorry Iam so new to all of this.   thanks

Since a gun for SC and steel tipping would need only a 135-140PF, I'd say 3n37 would be too slow.  I'd say something in the WST-v330-WSL range would be more likely to work well.

Too slow a powder risks incomplete ignition, and gobs of unburned powder gumming things up.

Try a 115 w/ 5.2 of VV-330, or a 124 w/ 5.0 of VV-330

thanks guys.   It would be on a single stack frame with a 5' slide.   Maybe cut back a 1/4".   the comp Iam still not sure I was thinking with b. bushing but a cone system is easiest.    any thoughts