Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Broken AR-15 bolt

ChristianHE

I've only been shooting the AR-15 platform for two years, I've not had this happen before. The manufacturer asked me to send it back for inspection to see if it was caused by overpressure (I'm shooting my own reloads) or a defect.

I honestly don't think that I had a pressure problem because I was loading 8 tenths lower than max load for the round and it was cold outside (FB3G !) I know no one and no equipment is perfect including me, maybe I had a bad drop on a round, I only weigh about every fifth or even tenth drop.

I'm posting to see what other people's experiences have been with this. Here is an image from my phone camera, I'll try to post a better one soon.

Image043.jpg

Thanks,

Christian.

I have sen this from ALL makes of bolts, even Colt's. It just happens. As a matter of fact the Military has speced bolt replacement for every 5000 rounds in the M4 ( now wether they really replace them or not is another question.) You just happen to be the lucky one this time. I hear the Leitner Weise bolt is better, but that is just hear say. KurtM

I hear the Leitner Weise bolt is better, but that is just hear say. KurtM

JP rifles believes its more than hearsay about the LWRC bolt being a lot better. Believe all bolts up to now were made of 8000-series steel; the new LWRC is made of something stronger than that. Time will tell.

They do break for sure...as kurtm posted, and I know SF does replace almost every year in 1st SF Group anyhow, they are prone to break the lugs on either side of the extractor. You should inspect every cleaning at least. Most of the time only one breaks at a time, and the rifle will still run most of the time and it is not until cleaning you will notice it. It can jam a gun up fast if Murphy is anywhere around for sure.

Just like bolts the gas rings and extractors should be replaced too, rings can be tested but...

I would replace as you see fit. Some of my bolts have not been replaced in years...but it is the miles/rounds shot and not time:-)

Hope this helps,

Scott Hawkins

AKA Busyhawk

I hear the Leitner Weise bolt is better, but that is just hear say. KurtM

JP rifles believes its more than hearsay about the LWRC bolt being a lot better. Believe all bolts up to now were made of 8000-series steel; the new LWRC is made of something stronger than that. Time will tell.

I thought that "LWRC" stands for Land Warfare Resource Corporation" and has nothing to do with the Leitner Wise Defense bolt that you can get from JP Rifles. Are these companies somehow related?

I was pretty sure it was a 6.5 as we were squaded together at A6 3g in november. This gun was giving him fits over ammo then. The wall thickness surrounding the case head is quite a bit thinner on the 6.5 vs a 5.56 is it not? This would leave me to believe that a bolt would be potentially more fragile in this caliber. It might be prudent to have a spare at all times. Regardless of the caliber.

Thanks for the info to all, here are some answers to the questions posted:

Brand: Alexander Arms (who knows who really makes it)

Rounds: right about 1100 (not many)

Caliber: 6.5 Gren.

Whoa, J-ho! You mean to tell me the pistons in my 2001 Ford Sport trac have have violent gasoline explosions hundreds of times a minute for 8 years and haven't broken?! I'll pay $200 for a bolt that isn't "prone to breaking" instead of $50 for one that is all day long! :cheers: In fact, now I'll buy two so I have a spare during matches, lesson learned.

Wait a second. You mean to tell me that a small piece of metal that gets violently banged back and forth against another piece of metal is prone to breaking???

Thanks Mark, I will carry a spare for sure now!

Yeah, that sucked at a6, everytime I had to show clear I had to use two hands on the charging handle and it pulled a bullet and left powder in my action. It was just a matter of seating the bullet a few thous deeper so they wouldn't get into the lands as hard. They all went through the Sheridan gage I had, but the gage doesn't have lands... Another lesson learned, manually cycle (manually eject with charging handle) test a load before making more. I had switched to Sierra's from Noslers right before the match, at that time I could not get any of the Noslers and the ogive is different.

You got it about the head wall by the lugs, I held up a 5.56 next to it, it is thinner.

I was pretty sure it was a 6.5 as we were squaded together at A6 3g in november. This gun was giving him fits over ammo then. The wall thickness surrounding the case head is quite a bit thinner on the 6.5 vs a 5.56 is it not? This would leave me to believe that a bolt would be potentially more fragile in this caliber. It might be prudent to have a spare at all times. Regardless of the caliber.

I've had rounds soo hot the primer flowed into the FP hole and wouldn't eject. Never broke any lugs.

Is the bolt a reputable brand or something from a kit house?

Nick

Same here. I've had cases let go in my AR and nothing ever broke.

Whoa, J-ho! You mean to tell me the pistons in my 2001 Ford Sport trac have have violent gasoline explosions hundreds of times a minute for 8 years and haven't broken?! I'll pay $200 for a bolt that isn't "prone to breaking" instead of $50 for one that is all day long! :cheers: In fact, now I'll buy two so I have a spare during matches, lesson learned.
Wait a second. You mean to tell me that a small piece of metal that gets violently banged back and forth against another piece of metal is prone to breaking???

:D Touche. Pistons don't really hit much though do they? Well except in a diesel I just had rebuilt cause it threw a rod.

Sorry for the thread drift.

Well let,s see, I have seen the bolts break through the cam pin, crack through the cam pin, the rear grove for the gas rings break off, I have seen bolts spit off 1-6 locking lugs and have even seen an extention break off ALL of its, "teeth" ( the part the bolt turns and locks into on the barrel.) I have seen rounds come out the side of the barrel under sustained full auto, and I have seen gas tubes sag and warp. I have seen bolt carriers split right down the middle and through the gas relief holes. I have seen gas keys come apart and shear off the two bolts that hold them, and in only TWO instances could we say it was HOT ammo related. It doesn't have to hot ammo!! It just has to be your turn! :D KurtM

That had to be the meanest or funniest comment in a long time.

By the way when you load a 222 to 223 length, it looks like a 80 gr. round for the 600 yard line. Was a beautiful looking cartridge.

Kurt, you forgot to mention you've seen 222's get chambered in 223's and ejected rounds try to come out the left side of the receiver. Funny how those happened to one guy in one weekend.

Trapr

Thanks again guys, I'm starting to get the picture, bolts sometimes break, my turn! I do appreciate all the info- When I called the distributor their first question was if I was shooting reloads and if they were "hot" so they seemed to be trying to blame that, and that they'd 'inspect' and determine...

I use a single-stage press for all of my rifle rounds and I measure every 5th or so charge plus I check the tray before seating, I really do not think it was "hot". Especially not now after I've read all this info and how it's pretty common. I'll just make sure to have at least one extra at matches from now on.

Well let,s see, I have seen the bolts break through the cam pin, crack through the cam pin, the rear grove for the gas rings break off, I have seen bolts spit off 1-6 locking lugs and have even seen an extention break off ALL of its, "teeth" ( the part the bolt turns and locks into on the barrel.) I have seen rounds come out the side of the barrel under sustained full auto, and I have seen gas tubes sag and warp. I have seen bolt carriers split right down the middle and through the gas relief holes. I have seen gas keys come apart and shear off the two bolts that hold them, and in only TWO instances could we say it was HOT ammo related. It doesn't have to hot ammo!! It just has to be your turn! :D KurtM

I've been shooting M16s and AR15s since 1975 and have broken 8 bolts in my lifetime. I've always broken them in ARs with CAR length gas systems, never in a midlength or rifle length AR. Sometimes the break at the cam pin hole sometimes they'll shed lugs.

Yes Magnus, I do load and shoot it in major, I did so at the Area 6 USPSA 3-gun match. I use 140 grain Nosler or Sierra HPBT that have muzzle vel. of 2340 - 2360 fps.

Hi, ChristianHE

I am just curious, are you loading your Grendel to Major PF?

I shoot Grendel in Major myself, you see. ;)

Magnus