Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Local match costs

double_pedro

For local matches, what does your range charge per shooter? We're paying $8 per shooter (comes out of the match fee charged to each shooter) and it's probably going up the first of the year. Add $3 for classifiers and it's hard to keep match fees under $15/shooter which seems to be typical.

Do some clubs get by without having to pay a range fee? If so, are they swimming in cash? Just curious as to what is typical around the country.

Thanks.

Edited by double_pedro

For local matches, what does your range charge per shooter? We're paying $8 per shooter (comes out of the match fee charged to each shooter) and it's probably going up the first of the year. Add $3 for classifiers and it's hard to keep match fees under $15/shooter which seems to be typical.

Do some clubs get by without having to pay a range fee? If so, are they swimming in cash? Just curious as to what is typical around the country.

Thanks.

My hubby and I shoot 3 weekend club matches. One charges $20 per shooter, the 2nd charges $20 per shooter & $30 for the 2 of us (family discount), and the 3rd charges $18 per shooter. The $20 matches in GA and the $18 is in north FL.

I run the match at my club and we charge 20/shooter, 15 if you are a club member. We where 15/shooter for years and I upped the rate at the beggining of 2007. I also added a stage and we shoot 7 stages. I feel that I give the shooter a very good value as he gets to spend the day shooting for 20 bucks. I can remember when some of the clubs charged 20 and we only shot 4 stages.

I can't speak to everyone's costs in Mid Atlantic Section, but our rates are fixed by agreement at the section level; Non-USPSA members, $25, Members, $20. Clubs MAY discount (our's is $15) We also have a special rate for accompanied Juniors and Husband/Wife teams. Non-members are allowed to join at a match ($40) and shoot the match free.

Our club gets what is left after expenses, no fixed rate.

Jim

I can't speak to everyone's costs in Mid Atlantic Section, but our rates are fixed by agreement at the section level; Non-USPSA members, $25, Members, $20. Clubs MAY discount (our's is $15) We also have a special rate for accompanied Juniors and Husband/Wife teams. Non-members are allowed to join at a match ($40) and shoot the match free.

Our club gets what is left after expenses, no fixed rate.

Jim

Jim's got the section pretty well covered. My club demands that activities that are open to non-club members return at least 25% of box office receipts to the club. On the other hand they're pretty generous about buying us the stuff we need to function.....

Do some clubs get by without having to pay a range fee?

I can think of only one club in our area without a range fee.

If so, are they swimming in cash?

:roflol::roflol::roflol:

Sorry, just hit my funnybone trying to visualize.

One of our local clubs is $20.

$10 - range owner

$1 - section fee

$3 - uspsa activity/classifier

$6 - local uspsa club

In the area we see between $12 & $20 for the match fee - don't know everyone's split

Edited by joseywales

$15 to the range owner. $5 to the club at our place. I often pay a total match fee of $20 at places where I know the range is charging less than $15.

A new range that's building practical bays and "trying" to land a club wants $12 per shooter. He's not having a lot of luck attracting the one or two looking for a new home.

I think our OP is asking how the match fees get divvied up...not how much the match fee is?

Yes, well in that case, the club gets everything after the uspsa fees and the costs of targets and pasters. I would say on average that it costs 3/shooter for the uspsa fee and 1/shooter for targets and pasters. The club pockets the rest of this as it goes into the general fund for club maintenence and improvements. If I want or need some new steel, drop turners or vision barrier walls, I buy them and present the club with a reciept and they reimburse me.

My home IDPA club:

Indoor range $10.28 to the range, $5 to the club for members, $6 for non-members

Members only Outdoor range $20 for shooters who are NOT a member of the range or the club, $15 if a member of one or the other, $10 if a member of both club and range. I'm not sure how much of that the range gets.

Double Pedro, that is a very nice range and I would hate to lose it. However, shooting has gotten to the point that it is very expensive. Bullets, powder, primers, gasoline, and match fees are starting to add up. (many of us drive 60 to 90 miles to get there) If Southern Shooters goes up very much on their fees, I'm sure the clubs will have to pass it down. We'll lose some shooters and some will just shoot less. I have noticed when the gasoline prices went up we lost some of our regular shooters. Extra fees won't get them back.

Maybe we need to look at a sheriff's office range like (River Parishes Practical Shooters, Ascension Parish Practical Shooters, and Tangi Practical Shooters) some of the other clubs I shoot in.

The owners of the range need to make a living, but we don't cost him anything. He is not closing the range to accommodate us, he's open for business as usual.

We're cheap it sounds like.

We only charge $10 for 5 or 6 stages

$3 goes to USPSA

$1 goes to the range

$2 for targets/pasters

$4 goes into a fund to buy props and steel and such...

We were looking at raising our rates for next year probably to $12-15, but I think I'm going to do a couple of raffles instead.

Frank

I think our OP is asking how the match fees get divvied up...not how much the match fee is?

Thanks Flex, that was the point of my question....how the match fee gets split - specifically how much of the match fee goes towards range fees.

It's helpful to have some idea of typical costs facing other clubs and how they are dealing with rising expenses. Range owners need to make a living and I'm more than happy to help out with that (within reason) to ensure access to a first-class facility for years to come.

Thanks for all replies.

• 11 months later...

Thanks.

Going up more??

Wow...

Edited by spankaveli

We operate at a the City Shooting Range Park, with a $6/shooter/day paid directly to them by the shooter, with the option of a $100 annual pass. The only time we collect for the range owner is for the High Desert Classic by including the range fees in our entry fee.

Please, I would like to ask this just to have a better knowledge of what's the habit in the USA ...

Do you pay the ROs for their job in officiating local/club matches ?

And what's about the USPSA Area matches ??

Thanks

Our club, Rio Grande Practical Shooters in Albuquerque, does not pay RO's. Everything from setup, ROing and teardown is expected volunteerism. RO's are generally certified club members with some exceptions depending on availibility of certified folks at club matches. We just trade off the clock during stages.

We shoot at the city range. Fee per match/ practice is $6.00 or a yearly pass is $100.00. With 2 months left on my yearly I have used it 38 times. :cheers:

CYa,

Pat

Please, I would like to ask this just to have a better knowledge of what's the habit in the USA ...

Do you pay the ROs for their job in officiating local/club matches ?

And what's about the USPSA Area matches ??

Thanks

Our club, Old Bridge Rifle and Pistol does not pay RO's or other staff for a match, however we may allow them to shoot at a reduced fee or free for large matches, Normal monthly matches are 100% volunteer.

On the same subject, those of us that are members of the host club often have a two tier dues system, part one is a fixed annual fee, part two is 'work hours'. Each member is required to either work 12 hours a year or pay $15 per hour not worked. As match directors we assign the value of time worked so working 60 minutes may not get you an hour. Usually you need about a three hours worked to one hour of credit.

Hope this helps a bit

Jim

As long as Maui remains "small" population-wise, we at Valley Isle Sport Shooters have a really good thing going. The range at Ukumehame is a county facility, so it was paid for with tax money. The county's parks and recreation budget does not allow for dedicated range personnel to run it so they've essentially turned it over to the clubs of which we are the most active. We have a great many members on paper, most of who only show up on the "open days" we run so they can sight in their hunting rifles or essentially just "make noise" with whatever else they have. We charge $10.00 per shooter for non-members on these days which covers their insurance and eventual replacement costs of the target stands and frames. Members pay $48.00 per year but get to add any other person to their membership as a guest member, i.e. son, daughter, spouse. We have NRA range insurance and we build the stands and frames...the rest goes to props and targets and tape. We get between 12 and 18 shooters per match, and we run one every Sunday except the 1st of the month, $5.00 with no classifier, $7.00 with. These have been our fees since the range was built.

If Maui ever gets significantly bigger population-wise, I think we'll start having encroachment problems and the other bad things that happen when local government takes over management of facilities.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...