Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Adjustable gas systems

tikboy

Dear guys,

I was hoping to use an adjustable midlength gas tube from MGI or an adjustable gas block from JP or PRI with a lightened bolt carrier from Young MFG. The last time I used a lightened bolt carrier, the vendor sent me a heavy buffer to "tune" my rifle. Can you comment on my below questions?

1. MGI adjustable gas tubes

2. Buffer - should I go heavier or lighter

3. Buffer Spring - do I have to tinker around with this or just use a standard buffer spring? If I have to modify this, do I need to go shorter? What should I do? I will be using a Magpul UBR for this build

4. Would you go adjustable gas tube or gas block? Which is better?

5. Young MFG. Lightning Bolt Carrier - comments on this? Anything better?

Thanks

Dear guys,

I was hoping to use an adjustable midlength gas tube from MGI or an adjustable gas block from JP or PRI with a lightened bolt carrier from Young MFG. The last time I used a lightened bolt carrier, the vendor sent me a heavy buffer to "tune" my rifle. Can you comment on my below questions?

3. Buffer Spring - do I have to tinker around with this or just use a standard buffer spring? If I have to modify this, do I need to go shorter? What should I do? I will be using a Magpul UBR for this build

Thanks

I'll answer your questions with what experience I have.

1. Don't have any experience with adjustable gas tubes

2. Buffer the JP LMOS buffer is the same, or close, to a carbine buffer. I use the carbine with a adjustable stock

3. I just use a carbine spring

4. I think the adjustable block would be the better option. Easier to get to, easier to setup, easier to fix if screw up.

5. I don't know how light that one is but The JP stainless one is pretty light. If you want even lighter you could get the aluminum one.

Dear guys,

Thanks

I'll answer your questions with what experience I have.

1. Don't have any experience with adjustable gas tubes

2. Buffer the JP LMOS buffer is the same, or close, to a carbine buffer. I use the carbine with a adjustable stock

3. I just use a carbine spring

4. I think the adjustable block would be the better option. Easier to get to, easier to setup, easier to fix if screw up.

5. I don't know how light that one is but The JP stainless one is pretty light. If you want even lighter you could get the aluminum one.

The only experience I have with an adjustable gas system is with a gas block from PRI. The adjustable gas tube seems to be easier to adjust since the hex screw will be situated on top, you just need to make an access by drilling on the handguard if they do not align.

I am waiting for someone in the know to post here about adjustable gas blocks. Just about everyone I have seen shoot with one I have also seen their gun go down at a match. My smith will not use them since he sees them as unnecessary and a problem waiting to happen.

I am waiting for someone in the know to post here about adjustable gas blocks. Just about everyone I have seen shoot with one I have also seen their gun go down at a match. My smith will not use them since he sees them as unnecessary and a problem waiting to happen.

+1... Adjust them to run clean and when dirty they take a dump on you... at the worst time usually...

+1... Adjust them to run clean and when dirty they take a dump on you... at the worst time usually...

So, the overall consensus on adjustable gas systems are they are unnecessary and unreliable. Thank you very much.

What set up do you guys suggest to make a very soft shooting/recoiling, reliable competition gun?

Adjust it when its dirty :ph34r:

So, the overall consensus on adjustable gas systems are they are unnecessary and unreliable. Thank you very much.

What set up do you guys suggest to make a very soft shooting/recoiling, reliable competition gun?

If you are talking 223, get a good comp and work on the recoil system. I use the M16 recoil spring and buffer but some folks like the newer hydrolic systems. Even if properly adjusted and working, the adjustable gas systems in a 223 are not going to give you nearly as much recoil reduction as the comp and the recoil system and they can cause you significant trouble.

Where an adjsutable gas block can help a great deal is with a 30 caliber gun.

Dear guys,

Thanks

1. Never used one.

2. I go as light as possible. I use a CAR (3.0oz) buffer and a standard rate CAR length buffer spring (in a VLTOR E-MOD stock). You can also use a CAR buffer and spring in a rifle length stock as well if you use a 9mm delrin spacer from Rock River Arms (it makes the internal dimensions the same as a CAR length stock). Less reciprocating mass means less felt recoil and less muzzle lift......a rifle buffer is over 5 ounces. Using a CAR buffer and spring will speed up the cyclic rate and make a rifle recoil flatter.

3. Standard.

4. I don't like either.

5. I use a JP LMOS (IonBonded stainless carrier) with a WOA 18" midlength barrel. I did have to open up the gas port on the barrel from .085" to .091" to make lock the bolt back when empty with weak ammo. This is because the lighter carrier runs out of momentum sooner and it would short stroke. Now it'll run on anything and lock back on all empty mags.

My current favorite gun wears a PRI adjustable gas block, and uses a standard buffer and spring with a titanium bolt carrier all topped off with an F2 compensator. I dial the gas almost all the way down...

I have seen several of the adjustable gas tubes break. I have also seen the set screw in adjustable gas blocks back out...Loctite and a staking tool is your friend there :)

Alex

I've been using an adjustable JP gas block for over 13 years now & thousands of rounds. I have never had it give me a problem. I recommend one so you can adjust your gas system to your load & what ever kind of carrier you decide on. I shoot a IonBond coated titanium carrier. What problems I see, & have had, are ammo (reloads) & magazine related.

Tony

Interestingly, I have a JP CTR-02. The gas block comes adjusted from JP. I have shot Black Hills 69 gr. and Remington UMC 55 gr and I've found that the gas block was set perfectly for both as it was sent from JP. A video comes from JP with the rifle as well as an extensive manual and both cover gas block adjustments. Needless to say, the recoil signature on the JP CTR-02 is minimal. With a decent scope and ammo it is relatively simple to keep 5 shots in a 1-1.5" group in 5 seconds with this gun from a benchrest or prone with a bipod.

Edited by DMAC