Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Loading 9mm with Hodgdon Titegroup

Rocknrollgen

Hi, I got a bargain on a bunch of Titegroup powder. Does anyone have any load data using Precision 147gr coated FP bullets? Or for that matter Titegroup with any 9mm, .40S&W, .357 SIG or .45 ACP. At this point I'm mainly interested in loads that other people have found that work well, are reasonably accurate and are safe. Don't really care if they make major, etc. I'm finding that data for loading with Titegroup is kind of skimpy.

Appreciate any help anyone can give me!

• Replies 84
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Do a string search in the 9mm reloading section and you will find a thread I started about 147gr Masterblaster bullets (same as Precisions) and a bunch of reloading data in it. Precisions are gonna smoke like a freight train with TG, but are really accurate and soft shooting.

As for the rest, TG is used in 40 and 45 pretty regularly. Again a thread search in the appropriate reloading area will result in tons of info.

I had sworn off TG due to my experience with it in revolvers, but then I realized I've never used a powder that worked better with jacketed bullets in 9x19. 4.2 grains under a Zero 125 grain JHP is super accurate. I'm using Montana Gold 121 grain IFPs now and it works well there too.

It's not good for plain lead or coated lead bullets due to the heat - it's the hottest burning powder out there due to its high nitroglycerine content, and this contributes to smoke.

I got talked into trying some TG. ~4.2 (bottom of the load table) under 124 gr MG makes ~132PF out of a 4" XD. Understand that nothing else (except N320 - $$) even comes close to making that PF out of this gun without (1)being at/over the top of the load table, and/or (2)showing some primer flow/flattening.

A friend had trouble with TG + 147 gr lead/moly bullets tumbling out of his 5" CZ. It was also very dirty/smoky with lead.

I've noticed more soot with TG than with Solo or N320, but it seems to clean up relatively easily.

YMMV.

Welcome to the forum!

Did a Search and found this...better send out for lunch :)

Barely the tip of the info iceberg available on the forum.

I used 3.2 to 3.3 grains in my G17 with Berry's or Rainer's 147gr plated. Switched to

124/125 gr bullets and Clays recently because of better match results. YMMV.

Jim

Here your link

http://www.brianenos.com/forums/index.php?...9+titegroup+147

• 2 weeks later...

I have used 3.3 to 3.4 gr. titegroup under the 147 gr. Star FMJ with excellent results. The only minus with Titegroup is the hot barrel - it's a very fast burning powder with high nitoglycerin content. Most recently I have switched to WSF for a cooler burn.

Hi, I got a bargain on a bunch of Titegroup powder. Does anyone have any load data using Precision 147gr coated FP bullets? Or for that matter Titegroup with any 9mm, .40S&W, .357 SIG or .45 ACP. At this point I'm mainly interested in loads that other people have found that work well, are reasonably accurate and are safe. Don't really care if they make major, etc. I'm finding that data for loading with Titegroup is kind of skimpy.

Appreciate any help anyone can give me!

Not Recommended Powders

Hodgdon – Titegroup

Vihtavuori – N-310

Precision Bullets Index Page

http://www.precisionbullets.com/

Welcome to the forum!

Did a Search and found this...better send out for lunch :)

Barely the tip of the info iceberg available on the forum.

I used 3.2 to 3.3 grains in my G17 with Berry's or Rainer's 147gr plated. Switched to

124/125 gr bullets and Clays recently because of better match results. YMMV.

Jim

Here your link

http://www.brianenos.com/forums/index.php?...9+titegroup+147

Sorry, but we did not find any matches to display. Try again and broaden your search criteria. If you were searching for new posts since your last visit, it's possible that there are none to show.

al

• 2 weeks later...
Anybody else notice that around 4.2 grains of titegroup works with a 125 gr in 9x19,

180 gr in 40, and a 230 gr in 45? If you only have one powder measure it sure cuts

down on setup time.

Bill

Yep. It works under a 158gr SWC in 38spl too...

Ec

• 4 years later...

I use TG for 9mm luger religiously. I load montana gold 115gr FMJ, with cci primers, and use blazer cases. I load to 4.3gr of Hodgdon Titegroup and it is deadly accurate out of my Sig p226 from 30ft. The grouping were all over the center and were less than .31" apart. Amazing. It does tend to be smokey and dirty with lead rounds, but it cleans up easily as long as you get it clean within a day or 2. Anything longer than that it starts to stick a little more.

I use Tight Group with .40, 4.7 grains with a 180 grain Xtreme (plated) RNFP. I like it allot. My son uses 5 grains with a similiar bullet.

I have not chronoed this load (don't have a Chronograph).

I use Tight Group with .40, 4.5 grains with a 180 grain Xtreme RNFP. They chrono @ 170 through a XDM 5.25.

• 1 month later...

Not sure how the Precision bullets compare to Bear Creek (Moly coated), but I do have a load for their 147 grain bullets. I haven't run them through a chrono, but I have run a couple hundred rounds like this out of my XDm 5.25 and they seem fine. I've shot paper with them and haven't seen any signs of tumbling or anything. Anyway, it's 3.3 grains of TG @ 1.120". I've actually tried 3.1, 3.2 and 3.3 grains, but I eventually stuck with 3.3 even though all three loads seemed to shoot ok. I did get a couple tumblers with 3.1 grains at like 1.115", so YMMV.

• 2 months later...

124 gr. MG JHP

4.2 grains TiteGroup

1.140" COAL

G34 = 1141 FPS

G17 = 1128 FPS

G19 = 1121 FPS

G26 = 1112 FPS

Springfield EMP = 1017 FPS

STI 5.0 Tactical = 1108 FPS

Wilson Combat Spec Ops 9 = 1081 FPS

Springfield XDm 4.5 bbl = 1149 FPS

Edited by 45 Raven

Lots of Titegroup data on the Hodgdon website.

On the plus side Titegroup provides very uniform velocities in most calibers.

On the minus side it burns hot due to it's high nitroglycerin content and it has numerous small grains which drop down onto my Dillon shell plate.

I prefer a powders such as WST, WSF, Bulseye or W-231 for most all of my semi auto pistol loads. I tend to use Trail Boss in the revolver loads.

LIL Hillbilly,

I have loaded 9s for several years with Titegroup, many thousands.

I just loaded 600 this week for Jr Shooter I give Ammo to.

That said, it has always had a "bark and a bite" that POed me.

If every thing in the ammo re-loading world had not gone to HELLO, I was going to maybe change to VV N320.

Have Chrono and all right stuff to work up loads, been sick and a lil lazy.

Have FUN be SAFE !

Perry