Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Accuracy Glock 34

Bagger02

I have been shooting a Glock 34 for about six months. The gun was new when I purchased it from a dealer. I have over 6 thousand rounds thru the gun with multiple different load combinations. Mainly I shoot 115 FMJ and JHP. I have tried 125 grain FMJ with same results. I usually load for something between 1000 to 1100 fps. I can't seem to keep a tight group at 25 yards. I get on a average of 5 in. groups at that range with several flyers. At 15 yards it's a little better but nothing like my 1911.

I bought the gun for steel plate shooting. I have replaced the sights with Dawson, that is the only thing I have done to the gun. At first I thought it was me so I have let other shooters use the gun with somewhat the same results. I usually have no problem keeping a tight group. Most everyone that has shot the gun says that Glocks aren't accurate anyway. Of course they all shoot limited 1911 platform.

Any suggestions before I go trade it in on another gun.

Thanks

Steve

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Most everyone that has shot the gun says that Glocks aren't accurate anyway.

:roflol:

Steve,

I would really have to disagree with this statement. Glocks are more than accurate for sports like USPSA, IDPA, IPSC, GSSF, etc. Glocks have won big matches when shot against custom 2011 guns, as well as all metal Production guns like Sigs, CZ's, and the like. What it truly comes down to is the reliability of the gun, and the ability of the shooter. Top shooters cannot win with a gun that constantly has malfunctions, and unskilled shooters cannot win with a $3000 custom S_I

I am a Glock fan for many reasons...availability of parts, easy maintenance, strong reliability...there isn't a part that can break that I cannot replace in minutes without the need for smithing tools or knowledge.

That being said, if you are not a Glock fan, sell that damn gun and buy one that you like! There is no crime in that ;)

Most of the Glocks I've owned have been capable of better accuracy than I can usually deliver; one or two have shot very loose groups though....

....it's possible that in your particular gun all of the tolerances stacked up in that way.....

I think there are a lot of people in the world who can't shoot a Glock accurately (no offense), including some gunwriters, and that's given the Glocks a bit of a bum wrap, accuracy-wise. At 50 feet (the maximum distance possible at the indoor range on which I do most of my shooting) from the bench I've fired numerous sub-1" groups with my personal G34. I have a friend who's opined, "You'll never shoot a one-hole group at 50 feet with a Glock." And I have yet to do so. Thus far, on several instances I've put four shots into one hole, but always pulled the last one slightly out.

So no, I would not agree with the statement, "Glocks aren't that accurate anyway."

Thanks,

I haven't had any problem with the gun other than my ammo issures at times. The gun is flawless and you are right about the issues with the custom guns. I really like the way the gun feels and handles, just having the accuracy issue.

I want get rid of it for many reasons. I just don't want to start spending money to correct something that isn't really a problem.

Steve

I have been shooting a Glock 34 for about six months. The gun was new when I purchased it from a dealer. I have over 6 thousand rounds thru the gun with multiple different load combinations. Mainly I shoot 115 FMJ and JHP. I have tried 125 grain FMJ with same results. I usually load for something between 1000 to 1100 fps. I can't seem to keep a tight group at 25 yards. I get on a average of 5 in. groups at that range with several flyers. At 15 yards it's a little better but nothing like my 1911.

I bought the gun for steel plate shooting. I have replaced the sights with Dawson, that is the only thing I have done to the gun. At first I thought it was me so I have let other shooters use the gun with somewhat the same results. I usually have no problem keeping a tight group. Most everyone that has shot the gun says that Glocks aren't accurate anyway. Of course they all shoot limited 1911 platform.

Thanks

Steve

Before you get rid of the gun have a gun smith check it. Some glocks have more play than others in the way the barrel fits and this affects accuracy. Maybe you got a lemon. But there are always solutions. An after market barrel will certainly help with Bar-Sto being the best choice. Tuning the gun with a trigger job, inserting an after market S/S or tungsten recoil rod with a 13 lb recoil spring will also help significantly.

Al Pumariega

Miami, FL.

Might I ask, what are you trying to do/compete in with your Glock that it is giving you unsavory results?

Just a friendly stage of steel plates. I just practice with the guys right now. Our club shoots club steel matches 4 times a month and I am thinking about getting into the sport.

Groovy Steve. The Glock should be more than accurate for you to win, however if you feel a constant nagging that you might do better with another gun, there really is no fighting it. You're not going to be happy until you shoot something different.

are your sights tight?

;)

really, my glock 34 has shot 1.75 inch groups at 25 yards off the sandbags and i dont shoot groups that good.

harmon

Yes, I had the front one loosen up after I changed it out. Didn't get the locktite on the threads good enough.

Corrected that mistake. I have thought about changing the barrel just didn't want to go thru that expanse with such a new gun.

Anyone know of any good Glock gunsmiths in the Dallas Tx. area? I could send it off but that always takes so long to get back.

Groovy Steve. The Glock should be more than accurate for you to win, however if you feel a constant nagging that you might do better with another gun, there really is no fighting it. You're not going to be happy until you shoot something different.

Thanks for the encouragement and I am just Bull Headed enough to keep pluggin away with the Glock until I get it figured out. Besides I have already taken so much ribbing from the guys that just on principle alone will keep me shooting.

I suggest finding someone who IS a good bench rest shooter, and let them fire the gun with a variety of ammo. In overwhelming probability, this will take the responsibility for poor groups off the gun and put it where it really belongs. No offense. :)

None taken.

That is what I'm looking for honest feedback.

Thanks

:)

Have you let a person familiar with, comfortable with, & that likes Glocks shoot it? Perhaps try some factory ammo? For maximum accuracy, brand sort your brass on your reloads. There is always the chance you got a lemon.

Friend of mine bought a g19 & neither of us could shoot it worth a hoot. He finally got rid of it. That is the only glock I've seen out of hundreds that didn't shoot fairly accurately.

If you can't figure out if it is the ammo or you or the gun, Mike Caylor is a really fine gunsmith. Here is a link to his site: http://www.caylor-custom.com/

Good luck!

MLM

Well I have a Glock 34 that I shot for maybe 6 mo at our local Steel matches. And I must say I kinda had the same complaints, I would do pretty well with my 1911 in SS but shooting limited with the Glock did not go nearly as well...kinda took the fun out of it. Well I ended up buying a KKM G-17L barrel and threading it for a suppressor....accuracy improved considerably (without the "Can"). You might try the KKM G-34 barrel, 13 lbs spring, and if you reload 147 grn bullets have proven the most accurate for me. But arguably one of the best shooters I have seen uses a pretty "Stock" Glock.

I have been a 1911 shooter forever and STRUGGLED with a 34 just like you.

I dry fired the gun alot watching the front sight and always could detect a little front sight wobble, so I tried altering my grip rolling my left hand thumb up forward along the frame and it steadied the gun while dry firing.

I found this to be uncomfortable shooting live rounds.

So after looking at it a while, I found after the trigger broke there was so much over travel compared to a 1911 it would disrupt the gun when it did stop.

Added a trigger stop, front sight wiggle diminished to almost nill and cut my groups way down, then added a lighter striker spring lowering the pull weight and now I am back in striking distance of 1911s group wise. The trigger is not as crispy clean as my 1911s but shootable.

Stay with it, I almost got rid of mine but got stubborn and decided not to let it win. Good luck.

As always YMMV

Thanks

Steve

What are your loads? My experience with the factory barrel is that most factory loads will shoot well out of them. It was not unusual for me to get 2 - 2 1/2" groups. When I started reloading for my 9mm Glocks I was using powders on the fast end of the spectrum because that was what I had around (I only shot .40 and .45 before that). Boy, those pistols did not like those loads (I was shooting 124 and 147gr. bullets). What I ended up doing was going to medium burn rate powders, and that helped me get my groups back to where they were when I was shooting factory ammo. Eventually I went ahead and bought a bar-sto barrel for both my GLock 9mm pistols, which allows me a lot more lee-way when it comes to the kind of powder I use, the type of bullets (lead or plated vs. jacketed), and allows me to maintain an acceptable degree of accuracy.

Well I won't blame my G34 and I'm not saying I'm an expert but one thing is for sure. I can shoot MY G17 better than my G34 at 25 yds. Most stuff I need it for is 25-50' in USPSA/IDPA but it's a confidence thing for me. For some reason I don't notice much differences other than at 25yds. Here's what I see as an issue determining the REAL source- It could be the diffs in the triggers, could be the sight picture diffs with the longer G34 with same front sight width (in my case anyway), etc. These things can drive you nutty for sure!

Yes, I had the front one loosen up after I changed it out. Didn't get the locktite on the threads good enough.

Corrected that mistake. I have thought about changing the barrel just didn't want to go thru that expanse with such a new gun.

Anyone know of any good Glock gunsmiths in the Dallas Tx. area? I could send it off but that always takes so long to get back.

Try Advanced Gun Works

There's a USPSA Production GM in Dallas that shoots a G34; Steve Speer (Josey Wales on BE). Have him take a look at it and shoot some groups with it. He can tell you what's what. Go to the North TX USPSA web site and look at the club reps on the site. I can't remember which club he runs, I think it's the Denton one but could be wrong.

Hello: I would try some 147 grain Precision bullets. The Glock 34 I had loved those bullets and was very accurate as well. I did have to bump the power factor up to 137 or so for them to work very accurately. At 126PF they just kind of went out there with groups of 8" or so at 25 yards free hand. At 137PF they would shoot sub 2" groups at 25 yards. I would play around with your loads a bit then buy the 147 grain bullets and don't look back. Thanks, Eric