Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

M&P magazine springs...

Xfactor

Can anyone recommend a good source for replacement springs for 17-rnd 9mm M&P mags?

I don't see them listed on the ISMI site, or the Wolff site (although curiously, Wolff does list .40 mag springs... ) Any other recommendations?

Thanks,

I don't see [9mm M&P 17-rnd mag springs] listed on ... the Wolff site (although curiously, Wolff does list .40 mag springs... )

Now that I think about it, wouldn't it be the same spring for a 9mm and a .40 mag? Seems to me that whenever I see 9mm mag springs listed, they're described as "9mm/.40"

Edited by Xfactor

they are fine for regular hicaps too.

Thanks Mike. Would you recommend the extra power ISMI springs over the stock S&W springs?

I'm not Mike, but I work with 3 guys named Mike, if that counts :rolleyes: Here's my thoughts...

I run the extra power springs in all of my M&P .40 magazines, including those with the Taylor basepads, and the stock 15 rounders. They are of heavier wire, and I feel they assist with sure feeding. Especially important if you leave ammo in the magazines for any amount of time such as a carry gun or nightstand piece. I chucked my factory ones after 6 months, as they didn't have a lot of oomph left in them. The extra power ones are holding up beautifully after 7 months. Good stuff indeed.

It does count; Chris! :)

I agree, I would get use out of the stockers instead of just throwing them away; Im too frugal and the stock springs do work fine.

but yes, when time comes for new springs, the +10% is good with or w/o extensions.

I don't see [9mm M&P 17-rnd mag springs] listed on ... the Wolff site (although curiously, Wolff does list .40 mag springs... )

Now that I think about it, wouldn't it be the same spring for a 9mm and a .40 mag? Seems to me that whenever I see 9mm mag springs listed, they're described as "9mm/.40"

I'm not Mike either but yes same spring for 9s and 40s for the M&P. The only reason not to use the +10% springs is you may not get 10 rounds in your "Jersey mags". If you are using standard capacity mags then no reason not to use them.

Not trying to rob Kenny of business, but did you check Brownells, I got some factory replacement springs there one time

• 3 months later...

I'm just now getting around to replacing my worn mag springs with the ISMIs that I picked up... I noticed that they don't have the bend at the top that the factory springs have to fit into the follower; did you bend yours yourself to fit? Is it imprortant to get the bend angle and length perfect like the factory spring, or will it work OK as long as it's bent good enough to fit in there?

• 3 months later...

Ok, so everyone has heard the addage of "if it ain't broke, don't fix it". I'm wondering what to think of my mag springs. How many rounds do you shoot through a mag before you swap the springs out? Do you just do it annually? I've got a variety of mags with a variety of rounds through them and I just can't decide what to do with the springs.

On another note I broke a base pad a few weeks back. S&W is supposedly sending me replacements (they're on back order now). How frequqently do you guys change out the base pads?

Alfie

Ok, so everyone has heard the addage of "if it ain't broke, don't fix it". I'm wondering what to think of my mag springs. How many rounds do you shoot through a mag before you swap the springs out? Do you just do it annually? I've got a variety of mags with a variety of rounds through them and I just can't decide what to do with the springs.

On another note I broke a base pad a few weeks back. S&W is supposedly sending me replacements (they're on back order now). How frequqently do you guys change out the base pads?

Alfie

I can see significant difference between my 2 year old mag springs and the new ones.

If you're waiting on a basepad, I've got some extra. PM me your address.

• 2 years later...

I decided to necro this thread instead of start another one. I'm looking for some extra info/clarification.

1) Are the only "extra power" springs on the market the ISMI's typically sold for "extended base pads"?

2) Are those of you using them still able to get your maximum capacity in the 17 rounders (or 15 rounder .40s)?

3) Does running the stiffer/longer spring at full capacity in a mag without an extended pad accelerate wear?

I just shot a match sunday with a 2 week old gun. I bought extra mags and got friday. Was able to get out saturday and see if they all fed correctly, which they did. However come match time I missed seating the mags properly 3 times during reloads because the spring tension was so high. Loaded all the way to 15 you had to really slam the mag home. With a 10% extra spring? Forget it.

Someone at the match was selling an Arrendondo extended base plate. I bought it. I can get +5 in it but the stock spring wont lock the slide back with the basepad installed.

Not sure if that helps you but thought I'd throw it out there.

I'm shooting Production, so 10 in the mag for a match is all they'll ever see.

I do however run most of my practice drills with a full load, so the ability to stuff in as many as possible is pretty key.

ETA-- I was thinking about using factory springs for practice, and swapping them out for extra powers for matches. A mild PITA, but as I should be cleaning my mags at the same interval, it shouldn't be too much of a problem. It's the swapping them BACK to factory springs every time that has me leery...

Edited by Sin-ster

Update for those who may seek the same answer:

I spoke to Robin at Taylor Freelance, who has extensive experience with these springs as they relate to his extended base pad offerings.

He told me that it may be difficult or even impossible to squeeze the 17th round into the mags, but that they do indeed work well and will hold their tension just as long as if they were used in an extended magazine. :cheers:

• 1 month later...