Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

I need some Solo 1000 help

ben b.

Any one using Solo 1000 with Montana gold 180?

Most are looking at Solo 1000 because it seems to be the magic powder with lead and Moly coated lead to smoke the least. It also doesn't heat the gun up like TG and is way cheaper than N320. So, using it with Montana Gold or Zero bullets is not as much a factor, so not a lot of discussion about Solo 1000 and MG's. If you work off the data for the Precisions and work your load up, I would suspect you are going to need .1 or .2 gr more powder to get the same pf.

Agree - that seems like a lot of powder.

Is something going on with the latest batches of Solo 1000??? A friend bought a brand new 1lb can and had great difficulty getting it to meet minor w/ 147s after adding more and more powder.

Odd. Did newer batches get weaker?

5.5 grains Solo 1000

Montana Gold 180 gr JHP

1.185 OAL

950 FPS in SV

Damn... :surprise:

Is something going on with the latest batches of Solo 1000??? A friend bought a brand new 1lb can and had great difficulty getting it to meet minor w/ 147s after adding more and more powder.

Hope not. I'm going to be trying to make minor with 125 gr precisions out of a 5" bbl.

I wouldn't be too suspicious, I only got about 20fps difference with a quarter grain increase in powder weight, It only makes sense that variations would decrease as pressures get higher, and I've seen changes in temp, humidity, and altitude have more of an effect on velocities than 20fps. Honestly, we should all make a habit of re-chronographing our loads over time, documenting changes in ambient temp, altatude, etc.... so we can put together a consensus of how this powder reacts to various changing conditions. For example, I live in San Antonio, at 750ft above sea level and it was almost 100'f when I chronographed these loads, will I get the same velocities at 34'F? Will they go up, or go down? What if I shoot a match in Colorado, at 13,000ft? How will velocities change at that altitude? The only way to know, is to chrono lots of samples, under different conditions, over time.

185gr RNF Precision Molly with 4.75gr Solo-1000 at 1.225 OAL, mixed brass, WSPM Primers, (10 shots)

Avg Velocity 921.40

Power Factor 170.4

Extreme Spread 27.02

Standard Deviation 7.68

185gr RNF Precision Molly with 5.0gr Solo-1000 at 1.225 OAL, mixed brass, WSPM Primers, (10 shots)

Avg Velocity 940.68

Power Factor 174.0

Extreme Spread 46.96

Standard Deviation 14.66

5.5 grains Solo 1000

Montana Gold 180 gr JHP

1.185 OAL

950 FPS in SV

• 1 month later...

I tried some 170gr RNF Precision Molly's, and here's what I got. Can't really detect any difference in accuracy or feel from the 185's, but they're $10 cheeper per 1000rnds.

170gr RNF Precision Molly with 5.0gr Solo-1000 at 1.220 OAL, Mixed Brass, CCI Sm Pistol, (10 shots)

Avg Velocity 989

Power Factor 168.1

Extreme Spread 14.85

Standard Deviation 4.69

Edited by JDBraddy

I've been loading with Solo 1000 for many years. I bought my first can of Scott 1000 and started testing it in my .357s. I came up with some loads for my .38 wadcutters and actually had a detonation. I contacted Scott Powder and sent them the remainder of the box of ammo as they suggested. They tested all my loads for me and after alll was said it done they bought me a new revolver. Can't beat that for service.

20 years later, about, I've never had another incident and find Solo to be one of the most consistent powders I use.'

I did find that loads I'd develope here in Phoenix that would make 130 pf in my .38s at 100 degrees would increase in velocity when I took them to California and to Colorado for the IRCs.

I've used it in my .38s, .40s and my .45. I still play around with other powders but Solo is my go to powder in the long run. I'm now using 3.8 with 158 grains and 5 grains with 180 grains so that I have a good minor and a good major cal load for my 627.

My bullseye wadcutter loads are now set at 3.0 grains of Solo 1000.

UPDATE: turns out my close friend had a cracked barrel. Appears it was defective from the factory. We do not know exactly WHEN it cracked. But, it would certainly have had an effect on his load development.

5.5 grains Solo 1000

Montana Gold 180 gr JHP

1.185 OAL

950 FPS in SV