Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Let's see your IDPA legal Texas Star stages

Steve J

I love shooting the Texas Star and I know it makes people better shooters. It develops eye to trigger coordination and timing. So, let's see your IDPA legal stages with the Texas Star. I'll start.

Slide2.jpg

Steve, what's the scenario for this one? I might have to borrow (steal)it and I know everybody will ask.

I love shooting the Texas Star and I know it makes people better shooters. It develops eye to trigger coordination and timing. So, let's see your IDPA legal stages with the Texas Star. I'll start.

Steve, what's the scenario for this one? I might have to borrow (steal)it and I know everybody will ask.

Let's go with "You're walking to the ATM when armed bandits exit the bank shooting at you and other innocents. Deal with the immediate threat then take cover and deal with the next two. The last three bandits take cover as well, but pop out from time to time to take pot shots at you and anyone they see."

Let's go with "You're walking to the ATM when armed bandits exit the bank shooting at you and other innocents. Deal with the immediate threat then take cover and deal with the next two. The last three bandits take cover as well, but pop out from time to time to take pot shots at you and anyone they see."

From under a nearby parked moving van! Brilliant! Thanks!

• 7 months later...

Great Gryff. Please clarify. The star is propped with just the two plates on it, but what is the orientation of the plates at the start? One & four o'clock? And is the window large enough for two to be visible or one at a time?

Edited by Steve J

Great Gryff. Please clarify. The star is propped with just the two plates on it, but what is the orientation of the plates at the start? One & four o'clock? And is the window large enough for two to be visible or one at a time?

We ended up having to experiment with the swing properties a little bit and change the final plate placement. In the end, we had a hard-cover plate initially visible (at 10pm position), the non-threat at 12pm position (top position, out of sight initially), and the threat target at 4pm (also out of sight). This created the right amount of swing in both directions, as well as keeping the threat passing through the window at a reasonable frequency. The initial design too forever to re-enter the target area, and also had very few re-entries into the target area.

plate_locations.jpg

If you want to get an idea of what the final setup looked like, go to 0:49 in the following Youtube video (and you get to see me tank my own damn stage design):

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KGQNjM-KqQE

Edited by Gryff

• 4 years later...

I know this is old. Our star looks just like that we broke a few Springs that goes on the deal that flips down to hold the plate on. Any idea where to get new Springs? Or just go to the hardware and try to get something that I may have to bend and cut to make work. Can't find a brand name on the star...

I know this is old. Our star looks just like that we broke a few Springs that goes on the deal that flips down to hold the plate on. Any idea where to get new Springs? Or just go to the hardware and try to get something that I may have to bend and cut to make work. Can't find a brand name on the star...

Can't use it in IDPA, but for springs I'd try MGM: http://mgmtargets.com/