Old Time IPSC shooters

tightloop

• Replies 106
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 2 weeks later...
On 4/23/2017 at 7:36 PM, AzShooter said:

I remember when I started the guy to beat was KIRK KIRKHAM. The first IPSC National Champion.  With a club having guys like Kirk, Brian Enos and Rob Leatham you really had to do your best to come  home with any wood.

:) Yes, those were the days - the Thursday night matches at the National Guard Armory were it. My favorite part of those nights was us all having dinner afterwards. Some sort of Bob's Big Boy sort of place. I can still remember one particular night when me and you and Robbie talked about shooting in the parking lot for at least an hour after dinner was over. :)

• 2 years later...
On 3/11/2015 at 2:09 PM, Early IPSC'er said:

Here you go Slueth

Any idea who the handsome guy with the beard is at the banquet of the Bianchi Cup #1?

here he is shooting the "falling plates"---that's right, the plates weren't hinged, they really "fell" into the mud.

…here's that holster that Tommy wore---my favorite picture; Rick Miller taking a picture of Tommy and his holster (BTW, I talked with Tommy about a year ago at the SHOT show--he said that he had loaned that holster to someone and never got it back!!

…my recollection is a little different than yours re: cross draws. If you recall in the year leading up to (and including) the 1979 Nationals in Utah, Jeff had set up the Cooper Assault Course which required a weak-hand draw from a kneeling position----it was IMPOSSIBLE to accomplish that from a strong side holster without covering your legs with the muzzle---plus the cross draw was significantly faster---the center line start position with the hands was serendipitous (or so I thought)

Mike Harries taught us to draw weak hand from strong side holster safely. I broke my knee running the CA IN 1978 or 79 up at Desert Marksman. SWPL banned it in 82.

On 7/22/2008 at 7:17 PM, tightloop said:

Since he has already been mentioned in this topic, I will say that I just watched a clip of Miami Vice with Jim Zubiena doing the Mozambique on the guy...only the clip I watched on from the PACT web site and they timed the sequence....Jim might have only won the Southwest Pistol League once (IIRC) but drawqing from concealment with latex gloves on and doing a 2+1 in 1.38 sec is pretty fast....shows him breaking the first shot in .85 and the first split is .22...not bad for an Old Timer :D

Jim's still around and several of us were giving him a ration of cow cookies about it on Facebook. I knew him when he was still.married to Linda. Jim wasn't a consistent shooter which is why he didn't consistently place well back in the late 70s/early 80s. 

On 7/21/2008 at 5:26 PM, tightloop said:

Well, I started this thread and after thinking about it for the better part of two weeks, I guess I am ready to name names..I have been shooting for a long time, and have seen most of the great guys shoot, Cooper, Chapman, Fowler, Seyfried, Plaxco, Shaw...most of them really good, but not all of them especially fast from the leather to the first shot...Ross especially was not the fastest out of the leather.

Guess the fastest guy I ever saw crank it had to be Chip McCormick...I know he does not rank up there with the guys who can crank it now, but then, he was the original blurr....saw him do a 50 yd El Prez in 6.20 down 5 as an example and this was about 83 or so....as I have said before one of the local hot rocks was John Dixon in Texas, and I shot maybe 35 or 40 matches with both he and Chip in them...I NEVER saw him beat Chip man on man, and John was just about as tough as they came. In the early yrs, both BE and TGO were fast, but just ask Brian if Chippie was fast or not...almost a toss up going with Chip or Nick Pruitt, but I did not get to shoot with Nick but a couple of times.

The guy was lightning fast in the early 80's. So that is my pick..never won the US or the World, but came close a couple times and did win the SC a time or two...

You never saw some of the fast folks. At Wes Thompson's we had "The Turkey Shoot" once a year. It was a speed match with steel IPSC Item targets at 7 yards, man against man. Bob Munden used to shoot it, Thell Ried occasionally did. Chuck Ries, Mike Horne and Leonard Knight used to consistently shot 3/10ths of a second. 

On 7/5/2008 at 11:16 AM, tightloop said:

Thinking back on the matches that I went to that had "known" shooters competing in it, made me think about who was the fastest guy I ever saw or competed against. Man, there were lots of guys that shot who you might not see but once or twice a year, there were the local hot shots, there were the guys whose names appeared in magazine articles...and probably I am talking about 1985 and before...too many current guys to choose from, although that would be something to really think about, but for this limit yourself to the older shooters...

Guys like Brian Enos (our host), Nick Pruitt, Raul Walters, Mickey Fowler, Jim Zubiana, Chip McCormick, Bill Wilson, Mike

Dalton, Mike Fitchman...

Make your choice and tell us why you chose that person...always a story in there somewhere. Be interesting to see who was the guy noone wanted to face in the shootoffs...I have my pick, but will wait a while before telling that story.

Fitchman was never great compared to the names mentioned. I remember when he was caught up in "instinct shooting". Never got it to work right.