Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Concealment vests when it's Hot

shoot

We often shoot in over 100 degree weather, with no shade.

:surprise: From your website, I've seen a good number of ingenious devises used in your stages.....and you've never used your construction skills to create some kind of shade?

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

We often shoot in over 100 degree weather, with no shade.

:surprise: From your website, I've seen a good number of ingenious devises used in your stages.....and you've never used your construction skills to create some kind of shade?

Rob,

Good point, but not likely for the pistol pits. We need to drive into them for setup/teardown and that precludes a permanent shade. But shade is going up in some of the other larger pits. For sewing the state match I set up a portable shade. For shooting I use a shooting cart with a big umbrella and a Tilley hat, and maybe a soakable vest if I can understand if it is like wearing a wet blanket or not.

Thanks Rob, take care!

kr

Edited by freeidaho

Actually trying to get back to the topic, I had a couple of my DCU tops modified by cutting the sleeves off. I test drove one yesterday at a local match and it was, well, cool. :D

We (Army) can't wear the DCU anymore, and it beats having them sit in the closet.

Continuation of thread drift....

I wonder if the Kilt had any psychological effect on the other shooters.....? Damn fine leggings.

Back on track now, I am concidering making my own shooting vest from a pattern of my pheasant hunting vest. long enough and stylish too! :)

If I make one I'll post some pics.

Ron

I purchased one of these shirts from 5.11 and it works pretty well in Florida summers- http://www.lapolicegear.com/5tacocashss.html

It's more comfortable than a 5.11 vest and looks pretty decent too. You can wear it around town without getting weird looks like you do when you wear a vest. It also hides my XD-45 and magazines easily.

All that said, during summer matches, I typically wear my vest for exactly the time it takes to shoot a stage and shuck it the right after checking my hits on target.

Continuation of thread drift....

I wonder if the Kilt had any psychological effect on the other shooters.....? Damn fine leggings.

Ron

It had an effect on me that day. One guy kept asking what I had under it. That was disturbing. When women ask, I just ask how cold their hands are :roflol:

• 3 weeks later...

I pretty much feel when temps get high the M/D's should just give up teh whole "concealment" part.

I wear a moisture wicking shirt and carry the vest around on top of my range bag until i shoot then take it off immediately there after.

If you want to build your own cover garment it's fine all it has to do is hide the gun so it cab be mesh except for the sides if you want.... to me i wouldn't care if it was see through as it's not a competitive advantage... decept for not being sweaty :) But i'm sure some fashion paparazzi would complain.

What about "no knee pads with shorts" rule.. that's equally as stupid. if i have pant's on i don't NEED knee pads to keep from getting cut by the rocks. or burned by the carpet etc.

hummm maybe i'll shoot an IDPA match in a Hawaiian shirt and capri pants :)

• 1 year later...
  • 4 months later...

I don't get the idea that you can make a cover garment optional just because it's hot out. How do you concealed carry in real life in those conditions? IDPA is supposed to be about doing that. Wear whatever works for you and meets the rules, and feel free to take it off when you're not shooting the stages. Carry it with your range bag, that's easy enough.

No cover garment IMHO (other then a few odd stages and the classifier) means it aint IDPA. There are enough lightweight fabric shirts made with long enough tails to do the job. We do get Hawaiian shirts being used, old work shirts with the sleeves ripped/cut off, the 5.11 covert cary shirts, etc etc. Yeah, they may not be as speedy on the draw as a 5.11 vest or the like, but if you're that concerned with the .1 second advantage then you can wear the vest and take it off and on as needed.

• 4 weeks later...

UPDATE: Last year in this thread, I recommended the S&A vest. It sucks. Too thin and floppy. Just hangs in the closet now.

I'm using an EOTac vest (not the light one) and love it.

Tip: To avoid procedurals for forgetting the vest, load your mags and put them in the vest, not in your mag carriers. Can't shoot without ammo. Finish the stage, dump the vest and load your mags, and put them back in the vest. Easy.

Shot an IDPA match in the heat last Sunday w. my linen Guyabera - worked great. I washed it first, so it got a little "frumpy" - which also makes the bottom pockets poof out a bit. Mags drop right in, pretty light weight, and even looks somewhat respectable.

Colonel Fry and Colin Campbell tell me that "A man in a kilt is a man and a half".

Total stage time is typically less than 30 seconds. That ends up being less than 3 minutes in a typical club match that runs a few hours.

Suck it up and follow the rules. A Highlander would.

Ye kin pit a wee fan in yur sporin te kyool yeself uff, Laddie.

Krrrrrrrreeeeeggghh

(Craig)

Edited by Bones

• 2 weeks later...

Just shot The Summer Sizzler in TN and the match was "Concealment Optional"

It was nice.

Dave wears a vest made by a local shooter here in Alabama. It used to be sold on the website www.pistolpacking.com

I don't think that site exist anymore.