Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Concealment vests when it's Hot

shoot

Find a solid color summer weight BDU shirt, cut off the sleeves, poof ! a vest, now go to Home depot and buy some of those super heavy two foot long zip ties, cut the tie part off, open up your vest and cut a little hole in the flap of material that has the buttons on one side holes on the other. The material is doubled, slide the zip tie in trim the length sew the little hole shut.

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Which one do you gamers prefer the 5.11 or woolrich? I'm looking for one that is stiff so that is moves out of the way easier instead of crumpling up around my gun on the draw.

I've had both the 5.11 and the Woolrich. In fact, I currently have both the lightweight and heavy Woolrich. I like the heavy vest (with lots of pockets) for vacationing. You can carry a ton of crap around wally world with one of those things. Otherwise, I only wear the lightweight one during matches. It works very well for me.

Which one do you gamers prefer the 5.11 or woolrich? I'm looking for one that is stiff so that is moves out of the way easier instead of crumpling up around my gun on the draw.

I've had both the 5.11 and the Woolrich. In fact, I currently have both the lightweight and heavy Woolrich. I like the heavy vest (with lots of pockets) for vacationing. You can carry a ton of crap around wally world with one of those things. Otherwise, I only wear the lightweight one during matches. It works very well for me.

I use the concealed carry clothiers light weight tropical vest. Synthetic, breaths well, dries fast. I use this in Phoenix AZ. on the hottest of days with no problems. Then again, I am very fit as well so YMMV. You only have to watch out on windy days as the light vest likes to flap around unless you weight the pockets alot.

I use the concealed carry clothiers light weight tropical vest.

I alternate between the Concealed Carry Clothiers Tropical and Double Action vests. A major plus, as far as I'm concerned, is that CCC vests don't look "tactical" or "gunny". I've had several folks at IDPA matches say to me, "Wow, your vest actually look like....a vest."

http://www.concealedcarry.com/product.php?id=10

http://www.concealedcarry.com/product.php?id=9

Here down in the south (Memphis, TN) we get to do fun things, like shoot our monthly match this weekend in projected 94 degree heat, at 78% humidity. And it's not even the hot part of the summer yet.

I use a Smith & Alexander vest. Very light, like a vest made out of a T-shirt, and it was only $32 or $36 (forget which) when ordered directly. I saw their advertisement in the Tactical Journal, called 'em, asked about that price, and got the discount. :)

5.11 For just that reason. Sweeps great. Then after I shoot I take it off, cause its hot as hell.

T

I'm going to try the http://www.competitiveconcealment.com/ vest.

6-8 weeks to get one made but it should be a nice summer cover that has some nifty colors available. I hope the sweep stiffness will be as easy to add too as the 5.11 was.

I didn't like the divided pockets on the 5.11.

It was easy to remedy though. lol ... grr ... (i.e. Lost a stowed mag on a stage in the compartments but once I learned the lesson it was easy to fix). ... grrr ... rip .... I definitely have a lot of trust in the 5.11 for cooler conditions after hours of dry fire practice in air conditioned comfort but it's a hot bugger to wear in searing heat.

I look forward to the competitive concealment vest.

I believe you can make anything sweep well with practice. I use a very loose button up t shirt, Nike golf shirt actually that breathes very well and is actually what I would most likely wear for CCW.

I just grab the bottom of my shirt and sweep. No worries about bobbling my gun by sweeping high, and I get a clean draw like the shirt was never there. Takes a little practice, but doesn't everything?

I can spend more money on bullets and range time.

:D

Edited by Aristotle

From the pictures I think

#1 It looks too ridiculous to be worn at a match

#2 It would have to be ordered 2 sizes too large to hang low enough to pass the "arms out" test of covering the gun.

Edited by RobMoore

Um, nevermind.

What! You think you're THAT well hung? :roflol::cheers:

That's not what I was thinking, but thanks for the compliment.

Don't flatter yourself. :surprise:

FWIW there was a competitor wearing a kilt at the IDPA Nationals last year.

But we digress, let's get back on track.

It's about concealment vests in hot weather.

From the pictures I think

#1 It looks too ridiculous to be worn at a match

#2 It would have to be ordered 2 sizes too large to hang low enough to pass the "arms out" test of covering the gun.

Rob,

We often shoot in over 100 degree weather, with no shade. Out last match was only 99 degrees. So some cooling would be a good thing. As for coverage, no problem. Think IWB.

kr

When it is over 85 I wear a mesh type vest.

Gun does show some at the side but no one has ever said anything to me in over 5 years

Since it is so light weight it is a disadvantage with my draw compared to the 511 or Woolrich.

This is worn only at our local club matches.

At regional or state match I use a 511 or the Woolrich, and when it is cooler weather.

Best shirt for hot weather is the Tech Wear. Great product.

Hello: How about going to a Goodwill/thrift store and buy a old suit vest that is larger than you normally wear. I just thought of this and may try that. Thanks, Eric

NO!

Coodies! :ph34r::goof: