Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Starting To Get Serious, Need Help On Trigger Pull

ggruber

i am starting to get serious about improving my shooting skills after about 2 years of just shooting competition 'for fun'. Now mind you, if it ever stops being fun i will stop shooting, but i spent a training session yesterday analyzing some of my most basic problems, and i would love to get some help from some more experienced shooters.

i will confine each question to a separate thread.

problem #1. when shooting 8 inch steel plates from 8 yards, i am consistently missing the first plate because i am shooting while the gun is moving (i have sight alignment). Certainly if i slow down my draw a bit i won't miss the plate, but i think that begs the question. am i supposed to be physically stopping the gun to hit the first plate from a draw?

my momentum and continuity on the remaining plates is good. even when they are out around 17 yards or so i can nail them fairly consistently. it just feels unnatural to break my momentum on the first plate and then start it again.

i realize that speed comes in time, but i already have my accuracy. i need to pick up the pace a bit (sorry about that, i just had to throw it in :lol: )

any advice?

gary

Its ok if the gun is moving, if you are seeing the movement.

Did you know the shot would miss, because you saw the sights move off the plate, or did you miss, and figure the gun moved after you saw the sights on the plate?

Aiming does not stop, until the bullet has left the barrel. The gun WILL move, so keep refining the sight picture until it fires. Awareness of the sight relation through the shot, amounts to calling the shot.

Read your Question again. Are you saying that you sweep the gun across the plates, and shoot as you cross them, without stopping on each?

Not that I'd change my reply....

8-17 yrds on plates is close. If you are hitting them consistantly, its time to move back.

I've found, after years of testing, that's actually faster to intend to completely, decisively, stop a perfect sight alignment on the center of the first target before firing. A decisive movement is much quicker and more effecient than a vague one.

The often illusive feelings of fast and slow evaporate when you do things properly.

be

Lets assume that we're talking about an 8 inch round plate for a moment. Focus on the center of the plate and make sure that the sights are properly alligned in the center of the plate. Those of us who shoot a bit of Bianchi Cup call the center of the plate the "wobble zone". As long as the sights are alligned in the wobble zone and you press the trigger w/o disturbing the sight picture...the plate will fall. The time wasted in shooting steel is the transition time spent going from plate to plate....and making up the miss you get while trying to go too fast. Practive on paper plates and pay special attention to the sight picture and the wobble zone. Obviously paper plates make no sound, therefor you need to learn to "read" your sights and trust what you see. ;)

Before you know it...steel will be no big problem...in fact, it will be no problem at all. B)