Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Taylor Thoating

cas

Ok here is the 411.......

I know that the 25-2s have wide throats.....get your minds out of the gutter....... :rolleyes:

We know the 625s shoot really accurate with loads we use.

I have a take off barrel from a 25-2.....and a little time in the off season

I fitted the barrel to my gun and used the brownells kit to throat it. Just a little bit, just like the 625 barrel has.

Jacketed was ok up to 15yds, bullets on top of each other. 25-2 was 4 touching and two flyers,.......pretty consistent.

Lead was worse.......I slugged the barrel and the 5 in barrel that I took off....same damn bore size.......

I throated it some more, using the 11degree cutter. Same results. Load is 4.0 CLAYS with 230LRn or 4.3 CLAYS with 230 FMJ. that stack on each other at 25yds with 1911s.......Fed primers for the one guy who is gonna ask..... :roflol:

OK, other than reading the instructions and reading several articles about fitting barrels and paying attention when REVOLVERSMITHS were doing barrel work I am a newbie.

I went over to a buddy's place today and we set back the barrel and ......here it comes.....GASP......Taylor throated the gun with the kit from Brownells.......

Now, like Randy Lee told me and was confirmed today.....the Kit from Brownells as the way it comes sucks :surprise: ......DO NOT use the Dewey rod and the brass connector. It broke (the brass connector) when we were trying to cut the forcing cone. We ended up using the T handle and rod from the Revolver kit, but any cleaning rod and T handle fitted to it would be better than the Dewey rod......dude, it really sucks...... :ph34r:

I have not shot it yet, but my buddy, who gets to hang out with some of the best gunsmiths in the nation for weeks at a time during the year said it has increased accuracy in every revolver he has done.....especially for lead bullets.

I wont be able to shoot the gun until at least Friday....but I am bringing up this can of worms so we can learn from it.

Oh yeah....another reason I did this is that from talking to Jerry Miculek he stated that the taylor throating is a good thing and he does it to his guns......(caveat...this was years ago and I don't know if this is still true, but he thought very highly of it at the time.....)

What say you.......

I will let you know, and try to take pictures of the groups from the gun when I shoot it.

Fingers crossed,

DougC

Edited by Flexmoney
Note: this post was merged into an existing thread.

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Jacketed was ok up to 15yds, bullets on top of each other. 25-2 was 4 touching and two flyers,.......pretty consistent.

How bad were the flyers? What kind of overall group size are we talking?

Shoot any targets at 50 yards?

Just for fun, run a google search on "taylor throating" with the safesearch feature turned off. Yowza!

(Not you, LittleFFL or CJDoubletap...you guys check out www.disney.com instead.)

Edited by Carmoney

I was shooting prone at 25 and 50 yds on a 18x24 steel plate, shooting at the same bullet strike. Once I realized how bad the accuracy was I just shot at 25yds. With lead 230s I consistently got 4 shots clustered with two flyers, but the Jacketed rounds would group together in a circular cluster. The problem was that nothing was repeatable, so I can't say that I have two charge holes off size of the others. I had a test gun .38 special that would hit the same bullet strike, so I can safely say it was the gun and not me...... :wacko:

This is an experiment, nothing more. Worse case scenario I put the 5in barrel back on and go back to the good accuracy that I had, but I just like the 6 1/2 barrels, reminds me of my first Pin gun........ :cheers:

We will see if the gun will shoot later....

See ya,

DougC

You want to really find out what's going on, use my Ransom Rest.

I know you can shoot, Doug, but with iron sights it's hard for anybody to dial in consistently at longer ranges.

+1 to this, nothing beats a Ransom Rest for load development. Make sure the rest is bolted down REAL well and make sure to fire a couple of rounds to "seat" the gun into the frame adapter before you start checking your loads.

After a quick read of this thread I didn't see any mention of the one one doubt I have always had about the Taylor throat, that being the possibility of increased leading with cast bullets. It seems that the extremely long free bore would allow hot gasses to melt the lead on the side of the bullet before it had a chance to completely enter the bore. I would appreciate a comment on this aspect of the Taylor throat.

If your cylinder throat match the Taylor throat, and your bullets match those throats (like they should) it shouldn't be any different than a regular revolver. Of course that's a couple "if"s in a row.

*****UPDATE********

Went to the indoor range today as the winds are over 25mph in gusts.....my apologies to my kansas friends( this wind is nothing compared to what they get......), but this sucks.....

I shot 6 shot strings on a rest at 18yds indoors, shooting a paster on a buff target turned backwards.

Here are the results.

Loads are 230fmj-4.3 CLAYS Fed primers and 230LRN sized .452 with 4.0 CLAYS Fed primers.

My gun will shoot 4 rounds in a cluster, and then have two flyers every time. I have a good charge hole in between two of the bad ones.

Here is the data. First Number is the 4 shot group measured center to center, and the whole group size.

230 FMJ 230LRN

1.015 2.952 1.300 4.100

1.315 2.752 1.344 2.148

1.829 2.310 1.312 4.012

The only thing I can definitively say is that I have two charge holes that are not the same as the others, and that this throating shrunk my 230LRN loads down considerably.

I was told that this throating would help with lead loads, and Damn......I couldnt believe it when I was putting the LRN through the same hole on the target.

This did help the lead loads, period. The next thing I need to find is someone who can ream my cylinder throats to .452 so they are all the same. If the flyers dont go away then I have to think it may be my cylinder stops that are really peened and might not be all locking up perfectly.....Either way if I have to get a new cylinder it wont be the end of the world for sure.

The only things that are repeatable everytime, as is the 4 good shots/2 flyers......

What say you, and does anyone have a reamer that I could either borrow or send the cylinder off to have it done?

I plan to use the Ransom rest in the future, but I have the targets in front of me to show that in this gun/barrel combination the taylor throat did make a dramatic difference in accuracy with lead bullets.

I am thinking of getting some Bear Creek or Precision coated 230s to see if they will shoot better than the FMJ too......

Later,

DougC

Sorry, but I have to laugh when I see a website largely dedicated to the mission of accurizing single-action revolvers for cowboy action shooting. Nothing against that game, I'm sure it's fun for those who like to dress up and all that, but from what I've seen it has very little to do with high levels of accuracy.

I guess some people remain convinced that shooting improvement is something that can be purchased.

Is the Clymer reamer just a piloted 10 deg cutter or a true Taylor throat where you have a forcing cone, then ~ 1/2" with the lands removed (basically groove dia.), then a very gentle leade into the rifleing?

Thanks for the info Doug, sounds like your 2/3's of the way there to a great shooter,

50 yard ransom rest results will really tell the story,

we'll have to wait till spring probably for the Iowa winds to let up :roflol:

looks like you tried the kool-aid and it was goood :cheers:

I'll have to try Paul's TT on my open revo.

later

Sorry, but I have to laugh when I see a website largely dedicated to the mission of accurizing single-action revolvers for cowboy action shooting.

Not quite sure where you got that idea from. With the exception of the photos of my deceased friend, I don't believe cowboy action shooting is mentioned anywhere on the site. But what do I know. :rolleyes:

Edited by cas

Doug, let me understand......are we talking about a 25-2? Or a 625 with a 25-2 barrel installed on it?

Do we have Ransom Rest inserts for a RB N-frame in that box of inserts?

Bump,

I understood it as a 625 w/ 25 barrel, but I also would like some clarification on this one. Very interesting thread. Tks Doug for doing the legwork on this.

yep, my beat up 625 Pin gun that is now back to stock. This is the gun that SW told me was shot out and not fixable..... :rolleyes:

I do have the square butt Nframe ransom insert, but will have to pick up the round butt insert.

Hopefully I can get to the range tomorrow.....

DougC

I do have the square butt Nframe ransom insert, but will have to pick up the round butt insert.

Hopefully I can get to the range tomorrow.....

DougC

Doug, just a thought, couldn't you use the square butt inserts with the round butt frame ?

I've swapped grips between the SB & RB before. To wring out the utmost available accuracy

you may need the right grips but for now it might be an option.

Just trying to save you $$$ for more bullets, later :cheers: