Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

What Is Your Highest Rank In IDPA?

Duane Thomas

Duane - I think the results of this poll are close to being the inverse of the actual numbers across all IDPA members. I'd bet Marksmen and Sharpshooters make up three-fourths of all shooters. And, the number of Masters is less than half the number of Experts. I've been running classifiers for almost nine years, sometimes thirty or forty shooters a year, and I still have yet to see anyone shoot a Master score. I've seen lots of Sharpshooters shoot Marksman scores, though.

I would agree with this observation.

What this poll does show is that the folks who take the sport seriously, read these forums to keep abreast of issues and learn. It comes as no surprise that the higher ranked shooters take the sport more seriously.

• Replies 380
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

All shot a week ago:

SSP - EX 108.44

CDP - SS 118.62

ESR - SS 122.91

Less than a second away from expert in ESR! I really need to pick a gun and stick with it. They're all too much fun to give all but one up though :(

Edit:

IDPA # A32686

Edited by needknees

Shot my third classifier saturday, this time in CDP. 89.29

My first classifier: SSP, MA

Second classifier: ESP, EX

For me shooting CDP is the most fun because I like my 1911 better than anything else I own. Had to get classed in CDP as I'm shooting the OH event next month and wanted to shoot CDP. Now I can't be called a bagger...

A-28551

Edited by want2race

CDP Expert...........bumped at the 2008 Carolina Cup....card signed by Frank

ESP SS.................Now retiring the 45(for a while) and working on Expert here.

SSP SS

A14241

Don

Edited by doncannon

• 2 weeks later...

CDP this Sat = 108.xx, EX

SSP last month = 103.xx, EX

I consistently hit EX on the rare occasion that I practice it. Dang El Prez stages slow my times. I need to practice these. Really want to make Master.

• 3 weeks later...

CDP - EX Classified MM match bumps to SS then to EX

ESP - EX Classifed SS match bump to EX

SSP - EX Classified MM match bump to SS then 1st SS at 2005 Nationals

SSR - SS Classified haven't shot sanctioned yet

ESR - SS Classified been shooting past 3 yrs and can't get a bump

Wondering when IDPA will change the bump number to 5 for revolvers

I shot a classifier Sunday just to keep my SSP classification current (only shoot ESP/CDP/SSR regularly). I decided that I'd just go balls-to-the-wall and see what happened...

Well, the wheels came off when I started shooting without looking at the front sight. :blush: Still shot EX, so no change in classification.

Edited by HighVelocity

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Now ESR - EX Ted Murphy Signed My card.

Bumped myself at Nationals since I have beat every SS I came across this year at sanctioned matches and there stiil wasn't enough shooters to bump me.

I understand why you can't seem to get bumped in matches shooting ESR but don't you have to still classify every year? Can't you get bumped at a classifier?

Yeah- I suspect this "crowd" is just a high end crowd as the clubs I frequent don't have many IDPA Masters. Our local matches usually draw about 25-35 people and we only have one regular SSP Master that shoots with us (and he just got bumped), a handful of Experts. I do however know a lot of USPSA shooters that are IDPA Masters that only shoot the bigger matches.

• 1 month later...
Yeah- I suspect this "crowd" is just a high end crowd

I was talking to Dave Biggers of XS Sights today, and he said he didn't think the prevalence of Masters over every other rank in this poll was due simply to the fact there are more Masters reading it than any other rank. As Dave put it, "I guarantee you there are a whole lot of lower ranking shooters surfing that site. It's just that most of them just aren't going to step up and say, 'I'm a Marksman.'"

Something to think about, fer shure.

I suspect a lot of people might be like me, in that what ever level they are shooting at is not acceptable so they do not broadcast it. Had I not just made Expert, I probably would not have answered.
Clicking on a choice in the poll isn't going to advertise that it's you voting.
Yeah- I suspect this "crowd" is just a high end crowd

I was talking to Dave Biggers of XS Sights today, and he said he didn't think the prevalence of Masters over every other rank in this poll was due simply to the fact there are more Masters reading it than any other rank. As Dave put it, "I guarantee you there are a whole lot of lower ranking shooters surfing that site. It's just that most of them just aren't going to step up and say, 'I'm a Marksman.'"

Something to think about, fer shure.

:P

Edited by nashvillebill

Sorry, I was trying to be humorous. The point I was trying to make in the post from May 3rd is reflected in Mr. Biggers statement about people not stepping up and saying I'm a Marksman. The smiley with the tounge was meant to childishly poke as if to say nyaa nyaa, told ya so, etc. I know it's a horrible idea to poke a moderator,in the future I will try to refrain from posting before I have finished my coffee.

I'm a SS in SSP. I'm pretty sure that I should be higher, since I am a "B" shooter in USPSA, but I have only shot one classifier for IDPA. I was sick and running on 2 hours of sleep that day.... I'm torn on whether to shoot another classifier before the NV State IDPA match in April.

• 2 weeks later...

Since there is no null vote I did not vote.

Although I have shot several IDPA matches, I have yet to shoot a bonified classifier match...although I would be more than happy to attend one in the Dayon/Cinci area :)