Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

What Is Your Highest Rank In IDPA?

Duane Thomas

Shot the IDPA classifier 2 years ago and had a 90 in ESP and a 92.34 in CDP. Shot it indoor and was having problems seeing my small front sight. Damn I wanted Master Class!

Well, you are less than one second off in either category...find a club that is shooting it and just pick one category and shoot it..you will make it..too much pressure with two guns...one at a time and you'll do it..that is how I did it with three guns..

Mark has shot one IDPA match in his life and that was the classifier...... USPSA Single Stack for Mark..... :cheers:

Good idea Merlin...SS for Mark...

• Replies 380
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I would be curious to see how many members made Master by being "bumped up" versus making it shooing the classifier.

Just shot the classifier with each pistol...

...and both revolvers? :devil::lol:

Sorry, but do not do revolvers...CDP was a Commander in .45, ESP was a 1911 in 9mm, and SSP was a G17...actually did ESP twice once with a P7M8 and then they told me it would not qualify in ESP so shot it again with the 1911 in 9mm

...actually did ESP twice once with a P7M8 and then they told me it would not qualify in ESP so shot it again with the 1911 in 9mm

TL - The P7M8 is an ESP gun. If they told you it wasn't, they're mistaken.

I would be curious to see how many members made Master by being "bumped up" versus making it shooing the classifier.

I would love to make master in SSR by getting bumped at a match. That would mean a lot more to me than doing it in a classifier. Unfortunately, I have yet to shoot a sanctioned match where there were enough SSR shooters for a bump to even be possible. :closedeyes:

Gary

I would love to make master in SSR by getting bumped at a match. That would mean a lot more to me than doing it in a classifier. Unfortunately, I have yet to shoot a sanctioned match where there were enough SSR shooters for a bump to even be possible. :closedeyes:

Gary

Gary - Me too. I'm shooting my next major match in CDP/SS, so that either I or someone else can get bumped. The way I've been shooting, it's probably going to be someone else. :rolleyes:

...actually did ESP twice once with a P7M8 and then they told me it would not qualify in ESP so shot it again with the 1911 in 9mm

TL - The P7M8 is an ESP gun. If they told you it wasn't, they're mistaken.

At the time I shot the classifier with it, there seemed to be some conflict about the action...the AC at the time declared it to be neither fish nor fowl, so instead of an argument, I shot it with the 1911 in 9mm

• 2 weeks later...

SSP MA - match bump at 2002 Nats (1st EX)

CDP MA - match bump at 2003 Nats (1st EX)

ESP MA - shooting the classifier

I tend to do better at matches than the classifier. For example in 2003 I missed Master on the classifier a month or so before Nationals then won CDP EX by a large margin.

Same thing in USPSA. I got bumped to A Open in 2006 by winning B at Space City but my Open classifier scores are still B.

• 2 weeks later...
If you are current IDPA member, what is your highest ranking in any division?

In another thread the idea has been put forth that 8-percent-and-some-change of IDPA shooters are Master class. That would mean that one out of every 12 IDPA members is a Master class shooter. If I'm wrong I'll certainly be the first to admit it, but my immediate reaction is, "I am SO not buying that."

I suspect that is nonsense (8% Masters), but I suspect your survey results here will, likewise, be nonsense. This forum is going to appeal to the higher level shooters, just as going to Glocktalk might convince you IDPA is all novice, marksman and "what's IDPA" shooters.

The best indicator would be whether local matches have 1 in 12 masters, since that's going to draw the broadest range of competitors. Hint - they don't. Even checking major match results, I doubt that 1 in 12 will be a master, and those results will lean heavily toward the higher level shooters. You could also look here http://www.nepaidpascores.net/postal/index.htm

The current postal match participants and last year's postal match participants should give you a pretty good idea of the whole IDPA membership, since it is a very larg sample taken at the local club level.

Another question I would ask is simply "what does the person making the claim of 8% base that on?" He is the one citing a statistics, so the burden is traditionally on him to offer proof in support. Did he just look at the breakdown of competitors at the nationals?

I suspect that is nonsense (8% Masters), but I suspect your survey results here will, likewise, be nonsense.

I was a bit shocked, actually, at the number - or lack thereof - of lower level shooters responding to this poll. Yes, it makes sense that a web site like this would attract a large percentage of the higher skill level shooters, but hell, when I was just starting out, if this place has been around I would have gotten speed burns running toward it.

bumped to SSR MA at the 06 WinterChampionships - Jerry Biggs signed my card

bumped to SSP MA at 07 Carolina Cup - Ron Rhoden signed my card

classified as ESR MA in Mar 08 (gave up trying to find enough ESR shooters at a Major Match)

Craig

A14437

• 2 weeks later...

Duane - I think the results of this poll are close to being the inverse of the actual numbers across all IDPA members. I'd bet Marksmen and Sharpshooters make up three-fourths of all shooters. And, the number of Masters is less than half the number of Experts. I've been running classifiers for almost nine years, sometimes thirty or forty shooters a year, and I still have yet to see anyone shoot a Master score. I've seen lots of Sharpshooters shoot Marksman scores, though.