Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

How many times can you reload military 308 brass?

glockadict

I was wondering how many times you can reload LC 308 brass? I was planning on ordering some from Top Brass, but have never used military brass in 308. I am going to be shooting out of a FAL.

Turn the gas down on the FAL and you should be able to load it a few times. If you set your sizing die not to overwork the brass that is. For M1a's, shooting Highpower, it's been preached to use new brass at 600, no more than 3 loadings out to 300. Of course that's a different game and rifle.

I forgot to add that is using LC match brass. Normally any other military .308 brass has been fired through machine guns, and brass is usually stretched. This leads to short life.

Edited by Dan Sierpina

I guess you have a way to swage the crimp out of the military primer pockets?

That is if they haven't been processed already.

Somebody here on the forums told me about a straightened paper clip trick to check the inisde of the case for where it is going to separate at.

I guess it works, but it sounds super tedious to do.

If it is special ball or regular ball brass that hasn't been shot through a MG you should be able to get 5 or more reloadings out of it. MG stuff is kinda of iffy, just depends upon how much it was stretched.

The regular Match brass will give you about the same life as regular or special ball that hasn't been through a MG.

The special Match brass with the cannalure (sp) around the base may be no good after 4 loadings. They seem to stretch and break at that point. But they usually are more consistant in weight than even match brass.

Just how woller'ed are these MG chambers?

If you were going in person to a place to buy once fired brass and some of it was from the military, could you check with either a case gauge or vernier calipers and figure out which batch you wanted, which was within your "specs" whatever your "specs" happen to be?

Just how woller'ed are these MG chambers?

If you were going in person to a place to buy once fired brass and some of it was from the military, could you check with either a case gauge or vernier calipers and figure out which batch you wanted, which was within your "specs" whatever your "specs" happen to be?

Ah, if you asking me this question, I'm probably the wrong guy to ask. I'm an ex-military rifle team member and all my 7.62 brass that I use for reloading was fired in either a Gov't issue M14 or my own match grade M1A. I do know of people that tried to use brass that was fired in an MG. Sometimes the brass had expanded so much that even with full length resizing it would not chamber in their rifles. I think that MGs tend to have somewhat larger chambers and longer headspace than even standard issue grade M14s.

If I was going to use military ball brass that I thought was fired through an MG I would talk to the seller and buy at most 100 cases after I had checked some with a case gauge. I would run those 100 through my FL resizer and check every one of them with a case gauge and then check to see if they would chamber in my rifle. Only after I found out that they would work would I buy any amount of brass.

If all you want is brass for blasting, then the MG brass may work out. It would depend upon how big your chamber is and how big the brass is. Again I would case gauge each piece after FL resizing before I loaded it with primer, powder and bullet.

If you are going to use the brass for loading ammo that will be shot in matches I'd look around for some Special Ball, Match or Special Match brass that may have been fired through a regular rifle.

Your FAL may have a big enough chamber that even MG brass will work, mine feeds ammo that won't chamber in my M1A.