Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Looking at the "A"

Jman

Jason noticed my eyes not focused on the target before the buzzer. I have a bad habit of keeping my head down some and watch the gun as it comes up. Not good. Bring the gun to the eye while it's focused on target, got to remember that one. Doesn't sound like a big deal but yesterday it meant "B" classifiers instead of another couple of C's.

Thanks man.

Jim M

• 3 years later...

My friend I shoot with started USPSA after shooting Bullseye for 2 years. When I watch him it is interesting to watch his target stare thru the draw and thru the target. I wish I could do the same. It is almost slow when watching but he is not slow. I should try to video it.

Good tip! I've been fighting getting my eyes behind the gun on close mulitple targets. After about two targets, my eyes never seem to catch up. I started putting paper plates up in a row of six or eight and kept practicing transitions from target to target. I'mnot good at it, or fast but I am starting to show improvements. Just got to keep up the practice and then apply the practice at matches.

• 5 months later...
  • 10 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...

I've notice that I look down or low before the buzzer also. It was just pointed out to me. And if I don't do that the buzzer goes off and I look toward my gun. Either way I look down. Then I I look up quick and when I bring my gun to eyes I over shoot it and normally throw my first round high. Bad habit I need to break.

• 2 weeks later...

3 yard index. Try it in dry fire. See where you are pointing the gun at a close target. Then find the sights should be the same and in the A zone

Will do, I always find my self looking for the holes instead instead of watching the sights and calling the shoots

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...

It helps doing what you describe in dry-fire as well. I loosely call it "calling your own shots" you "tell" that round where to hit and your body (hopefully) reacts and does it.

• 1 month later...

I mentioned this concept in my range diary just the other day except I was referring more toward transitions. Burning a hole in the middle of the A zone or in the middle of the plate instead of just moving your eyes to brown paper or white steel. Takes practice but it will help with accuracy. Body will follow the eyes.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

...I have a bad habit of keeping my head down some and watch the gun as it comes up. ...

I do this and I had no idea.

Edited by Guzza