Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Accurate # 2 Powder

kurtm

I read on Jeff Maass's load page that AA#2 was in the same catagory as Clays. YIKES!! The main question is does that apply to the AA#2 IMPROVED? or just the old AA#2.

I have found that AA#2 improved usually has about a 7fps extream spread when lit by a small rifle primer, and the use of a S.R.P. cleans it up alot! With a West coast 180gr bullet, 5 grains of AA#2 improved, and a WW S.R.P. I am averaging 937fps out of my 6" barrel and NO pressure signs. I am tring this powder because it was recomened by a really top notch gun builder. KURT

• 1 year later...

I am ass/u/ming a .40? I don't recall the load, but I shot many thousands of rounds of 170 and 180 grain lead bullets (loaded long) though my 6 inch limited gun. I also shot a couple of thousand jacketed bullets, once again loaded long. I used regular small pistol primers. I never saw any signs at all of excess pressure, but I had a fast barrel and only loaded to 167-169 power factor. Not much of a cushion. If I am not mistaken, Benny Hill and his customers use a lot of Accurate powders.

FWIW, Accurate Arm's Loading Guide number one lists 5.6-5.7 as max with a 180 grain jacketed bullet loaded to 1.125 in .40 S&W.

I read on Jeff Maass's load page that AA#2 was in the same catagory as Clays. YIKES!! The main question is does that apply to the AA#2 IMPROVED? or just the old AA#2.

Kurt, not sure what you mean by it being in the same category as Clays? It is generally in the same burn rate category (fast burning) as Clays but it is certainly not right next to it on the burn rate chart Hodgdon burn rate chart. #2 IMP is slower than clays and is along the lines of W231, WST etc. I understood that clays problem was that it was one of the very fast burners and caused problems witht he heavy 40's. If #2 casued problems wouldn't WST casue them also?

I have been a longtime user of AA powders (since the late 80's) and remember when they switched over to #2 improved. The powder was made by a different vendor and while there was a difference in appearance there was no change in the load data.

accurate number 2 is fine powder...i use it almost exclusively in my 9mms when i load them. I find it to be soft, clean and consistent powder...accurate number 2 inproved is the same powder, its just a little bulkier.

if there where one powder that worked well in either the 9, 40, or 45, this would be one of them..

when i start shooting limited, this is gonna be the powder i use, cheap clean and safe*major 40s without more than 35K pressure*...of course, all powders are safe, its the user thats dangerous!

Grouping powders by burn rate really is misleading (ie. dont use XXXX, its as fast as EEEE and you get too much pressure with EEEE, so you will surely get the same with XXXX powder) of course, always work up your loads...I had a fast lot of titegroup that was blowing primers in 9mm with book loads..

Yes, Accurate #2 is in the same catagory as Clays.

It's pressure spike comes very very early. Your luck with either AA#2 or Clays depends on how many factors come together in your gun. Chamber diameter, freebore, headspace, bullet diameter, primer brand... on & on.

At a time when nearly everyone trying 200gr Jacketed bullets and Clays was experiencing case separations, there were a lucky few who had no problems at all.

The burn rate chart is a simple guideline that doesn't take into account many things.

I can imagine that it might be easy to spike with 200 gr. wt. jacketed bullets with No. 2........

AA #2 is all I use in my 9 , 40 and 45........many thousands of round fired. Great powder.

I am not using the heavy wt. bullets in any of the calibers and stick primarily to West Coast plated bullets with good results.

If I didn't use #2, I am not sure what I would choose that I like as well.

Paul

• 2 weeks later...

i still think clays is a whole different animal compared to AA#2, You drop the load in a 45 a tenth with each powders(off a maximum load) and record the velocity drop. clays velocity will drop faster than AA#2. This generally means the pressure spike is droping faster as well.

I put accurate arms number two in the same class as bullseye and 231, both of which make safe major loads in 40, 10mm or 45.