Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

load data for 6" 40 cal

megaman

i picked up a sti longslide in 40 cal. anybody with load info for anything similar?  i plan on using remington 180 fmj's, hodgkins titegroup, winchester brass, and federal small rifle primers.  any suggestions from any others with prior experience with similar handguns?

I have a fat free 6in from Benny Hill. Really good gun, love the sight radius. 180jhp over vv320(5.0) w/wsrp oal about 1.170. This could be backed down a little bit but really like the load. Same thing with AA#2 at about 5.2 but 320 is a little cleaner.                       Larry

• 8 years later...

I run Zero 180, fmj, or jhp, in Winchester brass, with whatever primers I happen to have at the time, OAL 1.2.

4.5 grains of Titegroup, in my "Fat Free" make 172 pf, but, I have to bump the charge to 4.7 to make 172 in my Bedell, 6", that has a KKM bbl. 4.7 is what I run in my 5" guns too. :surprise:

i picked up a sti longslide in 40 cal. anybody with load info for anything similar? i plan on using remington 180 fmj's, hodgkins titegroup, winchester brass, and federal small rifle primers. any suggestions from any others with prior experience with similar handguns?

The individual barrel will have more to do with your PF than barrel length. Its not uncommon for someone to have a 5" with a fast barrel that runs as hot or hotter than a 6" with a slower barrel. Use standard 40 loads as a starting point and work up or down when you see how your particular barrel runs.

BB

In my JPL 6":

4.6gr Titegroup, 180gr MG JHP, 1.18" case length == 169pf

--note out of my 5" EAA Witness Limited Elite this load was about a 159pf a couple years back.

Just got myself of a case of 165gr MG CMJ's an some lbs of Ramshot Competition that I'll need to work a load up for.

~Mitch

i picked up a sti longslide in 40 cal. anybody with load info for anything similar? i plan on using remington 180 fmj's, hodgkins titegroup, winchester brass, and federal small rifle primers. any suggestions from any others with prior experience with similar handguns?

The individual barrel will have more to do with your PF than barrel length. Its not uncommon for someone to have a 5" with a fast barrel that runs as hot or hotter than a 6" with a slower barrel. Use standard 40 loads as a starting point and work up or down when you see how your particular barrel runs.

BB

pretty much, especially with the faster powders like TG, your not gonna pick up any more velocity with the extra inch than you would with barrel to barrel differences. If you drop down in burn rate to something between WST and Universal you'll pick up some. I am pretty much set on WST. My 2 5" Ed brown barrels shoot TG loads the same as my 6" sti. But with WST I make power about .2 less with WST.