Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

General reloading tips and tricks

Lumpy

Chad Simms sent me a picture of the knob that he has on his powder measure.  I have something similar on mine (from a tip posted around here somewhere).

One note about that photo: After installing one on each of my three presses, I noticed that the numbers were written backwards. <_<

Here is how the numbers should go:

knobfixed.jpg

-Chet

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Chet, don't quite follow what you are saying. The numbers are just for reference only......they don't have anything to do with 1gr more or less. The + and - are just so I don't forget which way increases the charge. Sorry for the confusion.

Chet,  don't quite follow what you are saying.  The numbers are just for reference only......they don't have anything to do with 1gr more or less.  The + and - are just so I don't forget which way increases the charge.   Sorry for the confusion.

No worries, mate. By the way: Great tip. I like these knobs a lot.

The way the numbers are written on the knob in the original photo, when turning the knob clockwise, to increase the powder charge, the number displayed at the top of the knob decreases in value.

I prefer mine to increase in value as the powder charge is increased.

-Chet

I just removed the numbers all together but kept the +, - indicator on the face

I have to say that after not reloading in awhile, I recheched everything

had all the brass cleaned & ready, 8 primer tubes filled ready to go

I was able to loaded up 840 rounds in what seemed like no time at all

I have my press all dialed in now and it now just cranks out rounds

SWEET!

• 4 weeks later...

I use a permanent marker to write the powder on the measure's metal body. It comes off with a rag and a touch of contact cleaner. (Don't get any on the plastic!)

I wouldn't recommend writing the charge down. You should be throwing and weighing a couple test charges before each loading session anyway.

Buy some fine point permanent markers, then make a note above, under, on or around every allen screw on the press that indicates the wrench size. Saves even more time if you have a set of nicely marked t-handle wrenches.

Accurate electronic scales make all your weighing jobs much easier and faster. There are several models out there now at well under $100 and worth every penny.

Be safe, have fun,

geezer

• 3 months later...

I've seen the MR Dial, Arredondo Accessories powder bar and a couple of other powder bar adjuster enhancements, but the best one I've seen is an actual micrometer head that replaces the original powder bar adjuster bolt. I found it at www.uniquetek.com.

Anyway, since it is a micrometer, it allows you to return exactly to any powder weight that you have used ... if you remembered to write down the micrometer setting. I installed one on my XL650 and it works great.

LeeL

i went to home depot today and picked up three of the red knobs that are shown on page two of this thread.

they work like a champ!!!!!!!

i can't believe i waited so long to buy these, thanks for bringing the thread back to the top.

let me know if anyone needs helps finding these.

• 10 months later...

It can be a pain getting small pieces (primers etc.) when they fall onto or around the press.

Next time you are at a gun show or browsing your favorite tool/gadget catalog, spend a few bucks on a pair of these "tweezers". This set is about 8" long and works GREAT. I like grabing those side-ways primers with them. They sit right next to my press.

5378PupToola.JPG

5378PupTool.JPG

Bob

• 4 months later...
i went to home depot today and picked up three of the red knobs that are shown on page two of this thread.

they work like a champ!!!!!!!

i can't believe i waited so long to buy these, thanks for bringing the thread back to the top.

let me know if anyone needs helps finding these.

Thomas Moore, I hope it isn't too late to ask for some help on your offer. I went to all three Home Depot stores close to my home, and none of them carry the knobs you used. Also, the SKU number in Flexmoney's post is incorrect. Home Depot's SKU numbers are only six digits long. None of the stores can find the knobs, and I couldn't find them in Crown Bolt's catalog.

Do you have any additional information on how I can get a few of the knobs?

TIA.

Jim M.

jim, i'll take a look at lowes and see if they offer them. if they do would you like me to grab some for you?

Thomas -- That would be great! I also went to Lowes in this area and looked for them. I even printed the pictures from this forum and took those in to show to the "Customer Service" people. Neither Lowes nor Home Despot carry the knobs in my area. I downloaded the Crown Bolt catalog, and they aren't in that.

I need about ten of them, to start. I'm assuming they work as well as the other members here have described. If they work out, I'll put them on all of my powder measures.

Jim M.

• 2 weeks later...

Okay, I finally found the knobs at another Home Depot. They only had black and white, but that works.

Most of the people at Home Depot have no idea about what products they carry, including the "Customer Service" desk. Today, I happened across a knowledgeable employee, and found the knobs.

By the way, the number cited in Flexmoney's post above as an SKU number is actually a UPC number. Home Depot's SKU numbers are six digits. If you give them that number, and tell them that it is a UPC number, they should be able to point you to the right aisle.

Jim M.

• 4 weeks later...

Home Depot uses a 12 digit UPC code. The number listed earlier was missing 2 of the digits. They can be found in the hardware section at Home Depot. They are in the bin drawers where all of the specialty bolts and fasteners are stored. I just bought one for each measure.

Bin 24

Knobs, Screws, & Protectors

UPC# 030699837489

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

Don't know if I am being Captain Obvious or not but here goes..

I recently was having problems with lube buildup in the seating and crimp dies. I know I know use jacketed.

On a whim I tried a spritz of One-Shot in each die every 200-300 rounds. I just checked them out after 3K rounds and no lube buildup to talk of. A little on the seater plug but nothing that would affect OAL and zilch on the crimp die.

Just thought I would pass it along.

Steven.

• 1 year later...

I found a cool little trick that stemmed from my being too cheap to buy a primer flip tray. My home computer is slower than all get out so I'll try to get some pictures to go with this tomorrow, but this will give you the general idea.

1. Start off with an empty primer tray and a piece of the cardboard they come in.

2. Put the empty primer tray on top of the full one and make sure they are perfectly lined up and then flip them over. This gets all of the primers upside down.

3. Place the cardboard packaging against the upside down primers in the new tray, hold tightly and flip them over.

4. Very carefully place the flipped primer tray on the table with the cardboard on the bottom.

5. While holding down on the primer tray slide the cardboard out from under the primers.

6. Lift of the tray, and WALA! You have perfectly lined up primers that can all be placed into a pickup tube in about 33 seconds.

It takes a couple of tries to get it perfect, but after that you can have them flipped over and picked up in no time. Because they are so evenly spaced picking them up gets to be really fast.

TG

• 1 month later...
Here is the Home Depot scoop for 'Dillion knobs'........

I went to three Home Depots before I found them. They were in hardware in a chest of steel drawers. Known as:

KNOB - FLOWERETTE

5/16"

DR# - 24 BIN - 1

Dr# - 971

SKU 3069983748

Crown Bolt Inc.

Cerritos, CA 90703

Price $1.20 ea.

Just buy a hand full and start your own 'black market' :D

Steve

I was looking for those knows in some german stores with no result. Our shops like "Home Depot" (we don´t have the originally "Home Depot" in Germany) have no knobs like this.

Could someone please send me some "Dillon-Knobs" to Germany :rolleyes: ? I need 4 for me and some more for my buddies :lol: !!!

• 3 weeks later...

Peter,

Ich würde mehr als glücklich, dies für dich zu tun sein. Ich versuche, sie am Mittagessen heute zu kaufen und informiere dich, wenn ich erfolgreich bin.

Chris

(translated: I'll try to secure them at lunch today for you) B)

• 1 month later...