Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Is the Saiga 12 the new choice for 3 gun open division?

PistolPete

For me this is just mathematics: Either load 8 one by one in 6s, push 8 round into tube with long speed-loader using 4s or reload 19 rounds in 4s if using mags.

If competition favours short 6-10 shot stages I will consider taking tube gun since it points better and shooting is faster. BUT if 10-?? shots are needed almost at every stage I would fool myself if I were thinking going faster with regular shotgun than with Saiga. :blink:

DSC_7533.jpg

Anyway, choice is free. I do have and I do use "tubes" too. There are pros and contras with Saiga as is said. This is just my 2c.

bros.jpg

-JamShot

I want to know how tha A-5 runs?

You ar a man after my own Browning heart :wub:

Scott

• Replies 255
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

In Matt Burkett's last radio show with Taran, Taran talks about getting a Tromix Saiga to play with like Dean Makkos has. Benny posted they were the "berries". I don't know exactly what that means but I guessed it was good.

It was actaully seeing Wakal's and SinstralRifleman's posts that peaked my interest in them. It is just a fun gun, which is what gets me out on the range. Try one out, there is no denying a potential to win with it, like any other gun you put your practice time into.

Yep...Taran was talking with Matt about them...relating how fired up Horner was to get one after shooting Makkos' gun...if i recall correctly.

At the 22:15 minute mark, Taran says he is thinking of trying it out next year...

http://www.mattburkett.com/podcast/radio_show_v2_21.mp3

I would put all my shotgun shells in one basket to say that ......IF ....and thats a big if. Saiga was being used by all the top dogs. BENELLI would just put a drop magazine under their gun and we all know Saiga would have NO CHANCE after that. :devil: So just like all the GM guys have said for the past 5 years, Saiga is just a fad. Plus, I would have to agree with what you said, it takes marginal skill to operate the AK-47, which in turn takes away the precision, skill, and art form of loading a real semi-automatic or pump shotgun. That is why in 3-gun there are 3 different skills: handgun, rifle (which is 90% of the time in AR, which is the real Saiga in the first place), and a shotgun (which takes the most skill to load). And like I said before, that's why there are 3 skills. :goof:

As some other people have stated, Benelli is not going to change their gun for action sports, They dont care and really dont like that we use their product in this fashion. If it isnt used in hunting or shooting clays dont talk to them.

Open Division is Saiga Country, the only reason the big dogs are not on the band wagon is sponcership.

Sponsorship is not the reason. Benelli hasnt sponsored 1 shooter in IPSC 3 gun or any other form of 3-gun. If it becomes and advantage to use it the Top Dogs will have it regardless of sponsorship. They first want to win, If they dont win they arent likely to be sponsored.

LOLOL .....WE WILL SEE ALL THIS IS STILL A BUNCH OF TALK RIGHT NOW. I HOPE THEY DO USE IT SO PEOPLE WILL SHUT UP AND STOP SAYING SAIGA THIS SAIGA THAT. IF IT WAS SUCH A GREAT ALL AROUND GUN WE ALL WOULD HAVE ONE RIGHT. I NO I WOULD BUT ITS NOT. KNOW ONE HERE KNOWS FOR A FACT THAT BENELLI WILL NOT CHANGE THERE GUNS TO A DROP MAG. THEY WOULD LOSE A LOT O :mellow: F MONEY AND THATS WHAT THEY WANT FACT.

I want to know how tha A-5 runs?

You ar a man after my own Browning heart :wub:

Scott

A-5 is easier to convert for IPSC than Browning Gold. It doesn't require so fine tuned spring balance and allows barrel porting way beyond what other semi autos would ever even dare to dream. Only thing I dislike in this one is fixed IM-choke. ...Minor issue and can be taken care of. :goof:

Faster cycling, less recoill (adjustable), smart design and better overall reliability without sticky rubber recoil-pad were the reasons I tossed my Benelli in the past. ...If only race-parts for Brownings would be easier to find. Now all fancy stuff hides inside a billet. :(

Brakes (Harpoon! Shark is found from rifle...) are DIY, as stated before, and so are magwell and other mods too. ;)

Going prone is not as big issue as with 20 round drum. Just tilt it pointing to side and keep shooting. STEN-style. ;)

-JamShot

Edited by JamShot

LOLOL .....WE WILL SEE ALL THIS IS STILL A BUNCH OF TALK RIGHT NOW. I HOPE THEY DO USE IT SO PEOPLE WILL SHUT UP AND STOP SAYING SAIGA THIS SAIGA THAT. IF IT WAS SUCH A GREAT ALL AROUND GUN WE ALL WOULD HAVE ONE RIGHT. I NO I WOULD BUT ITS NOT. KNOW ONE HERE KNOWS FOR A FACT THAT BENELLI WILL NOT CHANGE THERE GUNS TO A DROP MAG. THEY WOULD LOSE A LOT O :mellow: F MONEY AND THATS WHAT THEY WANT FACT.

The number of Benelli's in the hands of competition shooters isnt a drop in the bucket to benelli. I have said that they cater to wing shooters and clays people, the fact that we use them competitively in this sport isnt a concern of theirs. If they were so revved up to be in this arena of shooting , all these add ons by DMS and Nordic would already be available by Benelli.

Just a quick reminder, Saigas and any other magazine fed shotgun WILL BE ALLOWED in tactical/limited at the High Plains Shotgun Championships, as long as they meet the division rules. So now is a great chance to see if they will indeed dominate over tubers. LETS PLAY!! KurtM

Can't wait to see how this one plays out.

It would be great if someone could do some video of a tube feeder against a Saiga shooter overlay (like what was done in the '06 National Multigun video). Can't make it to the shoot so will have to wait for the after action reports.

I can guarantee that stages are not purposefully designed to favor one shotgun over another, simply targets, presentations, and start positions that you can expect to see in your average IPSC shotgun match, I will be taking video and stills at the match. Hopefully TACPRO can post them all. Or if someone can help me get them on youtube, that would be great.

Trapr

Hey Pete- I picked up one last year from Tromix. It is an absolute, ton of fun to shoot. Everyone who has tried it hands it back with a big grin. It's a shame that Tony is backed up for 2 years. His work is fantastic. Atlantic Arms and Red Jacket get some stuff now and then. You can always do the work yourself. It's not as easy as working on an AR, but I've seen some nice home brew conversions. I don't know about the best choice for Open, but it's more fun to shoot. For me, shooting is about fun.

... You can always do the work yourself. It's not as easy as working on an AR, but I've seen some nice home brew conversions....

+1 - doing your own conversion is fast, easy and cheap. It also builds an understanding of how your gun works that I firmly believe EVERY practical shooter should have. I did my conversion over a weekend, with plenty of beer breaks:

Saiga12grass.jpg

this gun is a lot of fun. Unfortunately, as I shoot Tactical division, I don't use it in matches. If the rules changed, I would definitely dust it off though.

Stealthy...........the rules have changed for the High Plains Shotgun Challenge, come on over and play with us. The SG will fit into Tactical auto just the way it is.

Besides we need more mag fed guys so the answer to "that" question can at least have a viable answer and not speculation.

Trapr

Hey I must be wrong and please clear me up but was'nt there something about

Semiauto 12guage+pistol grip+over 10 rounds=Levinworth or did that go out with AWB ???

?? Can you have a 20+ drum ??

Edited by DIRTY CHAMBER

Semiauto 12guage+pistol grip+over 10 rounds=Levinworth or did that go out with AWB ???

Gone with the AWB.

20 round drums are in the works from a couple different places...

unless of course you live in CA, NY or one of the other handful of states that prohibit such guns. :(

Gone with the AWB.

20 round drums are in the works from a couple different places...

unless of course you live in CA, NY or one of the other handful of states that prohibit such guns. :(

Those places dont even count, they are not even part of the union anymore !! :lol:

Raised in L.A. (27years) but escaped a few years ago so I can say it !!

Edited by DIRTY CHAMBER

or stick a slug in it midway thru a course of fire? :rolleyes:

Trapr

Forgot to answer this one. :blush:

I add slugs in between birdshots. That isn't a problem, really. Extra birdshot, or two, before slug and shoot "birds" to sky if haven't got misses before slug. With fixed count I rack extras out. Faster than reload anyway. Just like doing with tube if every required round fits in. :P

Stage design shouldn't favour one type of guns. Mags are easier when starting gun empty and tubes are faster to add mandatory reload between shots. Still using either one repeatedly gives advantage to certain type of gun.

-JamShot

Acually you could have a deticated slug mag and switch out mags with or without retention..

Actually I would have to swap mag and rack out chambered birdie too. And switch back and again pull slug out. Or I empty birdies on steels to get slugs up the line and keep going on with birdshots after slugs again. Which method could save time in IPSC?

Spray and pray wrecks method of loaded birdshot-slug coctail, but it is up to shooter. If one can't manage one's nerves counting misses, how can one keep up which mags have slugs and which birdshots? Just remembering gas adjustment for different ammo in case of Saiga can be hard enough. ;)

-JamShot