Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

XL650 Tips and Tricks

ErikW

Another tip: If you're adjusting the powder measure and have primers in the feeder, pull the black plastic angle part that advances the primer feed off the machine-- it's one hex bolt to remove and install, and it doesn't need to be adjusted.

I know this was posted many years ago, but I want to make sure I am understanding the suggestion. I want to adjust the powder measure so that I can do 10 powder drops and then measure the total powder and divide by 10 while there are still primers present in the feeder. So, shred is suggesting that the "black plastic angle part" be removed when doing this. Does anyone know which part this is on the Dillon website schematic of the Primer System Assembly? A part on a different one of their schematics?

I think he's talking about this part to remove...post-42635-0-82687700-1430342977_thumb.j

• Replies 260
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

...but I have another idea that I like...

Make yourself one of these things. A hole is drilled for the primer index tooth to fall into. It raises the primer index tooth up off from the primer plate.

post-42635-0-50430500-1430343120_thumb.j

post-42635-0-34909600-1430343180_thumb.j

It's made from like 1/16" steel and bent at a 90* angle.

Here it is ready to be installed:

post-42635-0-32082600-1430343287_thumb.j

And here it is installed:

post-42635-0-70755400-1430343345_thumb.j

When you're not using it, I store it on this cut off nail that I drilled into the frame:

post-42635-0-94914100-1430343434_thumb.j

While you got the drill out... Drill a little hole in the back side for a plastic model paintbrush like this for cleaning up spilt powder:

post-42635-0-79315500-1430343848_thumb.j

And one more tip I like is to grab a sharpie and write this on your primer check buzzer, (your count may be different though)

post-42635-0-04578600-1430343936_thumb.j

(The .45ACP case is on there for a little extra weight, for those that haven't heard about that trick yet...)

Edited by Scratchthejeepguy

Another tip: If you're adjusting the powder measure and have primers in the feeder, pull the black plastic angle part that advances the primer feed off the machine-- it's one hex bolt to remove and install, and it doesn't need to be adjusted.

I know this was posted many years ago, but I want to make sure I am understanding the suggestion. I want to adjust the powder measure so that I can do 10 powder drops and then measure the total powder and divide by 10 while there are still primers present in the feeder. So, shred is suggesting that the "black plastic angle part" be removed when doing this. Does anyone know which part this is on the Dillon website schematic of the Primer System Assembly? A part on a different one of their schematics?

I think he's talking about this part to remove...attachicon.gifimage.jpg

Yes.................that is the part and that is what I do..................no problems, just unscrew and then screw back in...........10 seconds max for each step. OR just don't fill up the primer tube before you take your measurement.

• 8 months later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...

The cure for the spent primers going everywhere is to rid the machine of the little cup entirely. Replace it with a floor-length piece of vinyl tubing. Stick one end of the tubing up into the hole in the frame casting (I think 3/8 works) and run the other end into a jar with a hole in the lid to fit the tubing. Bonus is not having to empty that pesky little primer cup all the time! Thanks go to a fellow shooter in Butte for this one.

Bret

Thanks! I was looking for a "tubing" fix and didn't know how to best connect it.

Another way to stop the primers from advancing i found that's easily removable and no drilling needed.

Thanks ShadowX on Calguns for this idea!

Here's what i did.

I took my primer indexer to the hardware store to find a good fit. Almost perfect was these drywall anchors:
20160214_173805.jpg

Here you can see it poking out through the indexer. I simply screw the drywall anchor further back to make it expend the tip and fit tighter. I had to cut the back part off (too large diameter) and the stepped "wings" as well. You can then adjust by spinning it on/off to tighten/loosen.
20160214_173824.jpg
20160214_173857.jpg

I wanted it to be easy to revert to stock in case this is a hassle or causes issues, so all i did was swap the bolt to the back side and screw on the #10 drywall anchor!
20160214_173909.jpg

Simple and easy. Thanks ShadowX for the inspiration and steps to get me started on this easy mod!!!

One thing you need to do to remove the indexer, is remove the threaded powder rod/bar out of the way. Not a deal breaker, but FYI.

Edited by sl33py

• 2 months later...

{Can't remember whether I posted this fix elsewhere in the forum, if so, I apologize to the mod gods.}

I got tired of the odd spent primer being spit onto the floor, so I took a .303 British case and drilled out the primer pocket to about 1/4". If the spent primer cup bracket is loosened a bit, the rim of the case slides in perfectly and centers itself in the drop channel. A bit of 7/16"vinyl host long enough to reach a plastic jug on the floor was the only other thing necessary.....and no more primers on the floor, period.

NB: I suspect that rimmed cases like .30-30, 7.62 x 54R, etc. will work just as well.

• 3 years later...