Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Will Lee Autodisk Powder Measure Work on a RL550?

I am considering purchasing a RL550. I have Lee Deluxe Pistol Dies in .45 ACP and 9mm and two Lee Pro Autodisk Powder measures. Will the powder measures work on the 550? They have the powder-through expander die in them and can be rigged for auto return with a spring so they will bell case, drop powder and return to "ready" position for the next case.

I like the simplicity of the Lee Autodisks and hope they will work.

I would set up the 550 with resize/deprime in station1; bell case and powder drop in station 2; seat bullet in station 3; and, factory crimp in station 4.

Unrelated question: does anybody know where a Frankford Arsenal Vibra-Prime unit can be found, new or used?

Thanks for your help.

The thought of removing the Dillon measure in favor of a Lee measure makes my brain hurt, but it seems like it might work. The only thing I can think of is the die may not screw into the toolhead far enough to expand/charge the case properly.

When you die, they will give you a vibra-prime at the pearly gates. Otherwise you are pretty much SOL.

Thanks for the fast response. I thought it would work okay.

JFD--I'm not quite as goofy as I sound. I have experience with the Dillon powder measure--used an SDB for awhile--and had some issues with small charges of flake powders, plus, no one told me about putting the old return spring mod on it to get rid of the "improvement" Dillon made a few years ago.

I have used the Lee fixed cavity disks for over a year and get incredibly good repeatability of powder drop; plus it's just plain easier to change - over when changing powders or loads, no fiddling with the thumb screw on the Dillon.

I guess I'll be filling primer pickup tubes in my spare time. The blue alternative is a bit too pricey for a retiree.

I never said you were goofy (not out loud anyway :lol: )

I used to use the Lee measures on their auto-index turret press and they were great (once I got away from the wood screw models).

Personally I like the Dillon measure clunking around up there. To me, clinking around equals "powder settling" and consistent charge weights.

I always wondered if the Lee measures were any good when they weren't revolving around on the turret (also equals "powder settling"), so it's good to know they are.