Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Best "frugal" scope for 3 gun ?

Tattoo

Weaver 1x3.

Patrick

Patrick,

How much is the weaver? And what does the reticle look like? Obviously I am willing to

spend the $300 that the Leupold costs.

Am I on the right track then w/ the 1 power up to 3-5??

+4!

I have 4 of the little Weavers. Best buy for the money. It's a true 1X on the low end, so field of view is a non-issue. You see all the world with a circle and duplex reticle superimposed in front of your eye. I also have the Meopta, which is also a great scope, and probablysomewhat better in the long run than the Weaver. But, it's a good deal heavier than the Weaver, and significantly more expensive.

Hey all thanks fo the input. I like the price of the Weaver. Its as good optics wise as the Leupold? Also

what is the concensus on a mount? I have an Armalite 1 piece laying around that I was going to use.

Wow, what do you think of the Millet w/ the donut? I already have an Eotech for short stuff.

Thanks,

T

Hey all thanks fo the input. I like the price of the Weaver. Its as good optics wise as the Leupold? Also

what is the concensus on a mount? I have an Armalite 1 piece laying around that I was going to use.

Wow, what do you think of the Millet w/ the donut? I already have an Eotech for short stuff.

Thanks,

T

Another vote for the weaver.

Have not shot 3gun in over a year, but was able to take 2nd at a local 3gun match yesterday - thanks to the Weaver. It does what EVERY variable should do: it holds its zero over the entire range from 0 to 3X.

Armalite 1 piece mount is OK (better than riser + rings).

No argument that LaRue is the best. It will likely cost as much as the scope (if not more).

What ever mount you choose, try to mount it AS FAR FORWARD as you can.

A week ago I would have recommended the Millet DMS-1. Not anymore. On Wednesday I was out practicing before coming to Ft benning and the scope 9dms-1) crapped out on me. The lens got blurry and wouldn't focus, then it really went haywire. I'll post a review later. I spent all day yesterday srambling for a scope to put on my rifle for the match this weekend. Should have listened to my dad - "buy cheap, buy twice". I'm going to get a leupold vari-x iii 1.5x5 to replace it.

Edited by xpd54

Millet: Mostly junk.

New: Weaver 1x3.

New/used: Leupold.

Used: A 1.24x4 Schmidt & Bender off of a BIG game rifle (if you are ok with first focal plane scopes). I got one from my favorite local dealer for $450.00. Maybe not the best (for 3gun) or frugal, but I now have the cool circle and dot logo on the turret caps. New ones take more cubic dollars than I am willing to spend.

Weaver also has an illuminated reticle "version" of their 1 X 3:

http://www.weaveroptics.com/classicextreme/index.html

swfa.com has it for $430

http://www.swfa.com/showcategory.aspx?cate...esetfilter=true

opticsplanet.com has it for $460

http://www.opticsplanet.com/s/search.php?q...classic+extreme

I don't have one. I have never looked through one. Just at one point I was thinking of moving up to an illuminated reticle or dot scope.

I still haven't made the move up just yet. Too many toys and not enough money. :blink:

It's a 1.5 - 4.5. Not a 1 - 3. And it's a 30mm tube, so it will be considerably heavier.

One of the advantages of the 1-3 is the true 1x on the low end. The 1.5-4.5 may be a great scope, but without the true 1x, I'd pass on it. I'd like to see one, though, before passing final judgement.

I suppose you're talking about the illuminated Weaver I linked to above. Yeah, I know, I forgot to mention that it is a 1.5 to 4.5 power scope, NOT a true one power, but IIRC the OP wasn't asking about cheap one power on up scopes, he just wanted a "frugal" scope to get into 3 gunning, I suppose.

I have never shot anything close to a one power scope on it, so I don't know how beneficial it is, to shooting with both eyes open. That's why I didn't mention it.

I think when I first learned about that scope by Weaver I sent them an email that basically said "You idiots! The three gunners would buy crates of those scopes if it was a true one power!"

Not surprisingly, I didn't get a response.

Somebody on this forum, USCBIGDAWG maybe?, had asked about the Simmons turkey scope That got my interest up, so I PM'ed him and he said that yeah it would be just an el cheapo set up for a 3 gun AR.

It might be a red dot. I can't remember now.

A week ago I would have recommended the Millet DMS-1. Not anymore. On Wednesday I was out practicing before coming to Ft benning and the scope 9dms-1) crapped out on me. The lens got blurry and wouldn't focus, then it really went haywire. I'll post a review later. I spent all day yesterday srambling for a scope to put on my rifle for the match this weekend. Should have listened to my dad - "buy cheap, buy twice". I'm going to get a leupold vari-x iii 1.5x5 to replace it.

I bought a DMS-1 to see if it would live up to the hype...

It seemed to be a decent scope for the money, but put next to the Meopta, the $500 price difference was painfully visible.

Couldn't even bother taking it to the range before selling it...

Edited by gose

...and that $500 difference is make or break.

Is the Millet better than irons?

Yes...unless it breaks in the middle of a match (which seems to be about right for me - Murphy's Law # 24). Dependability is as much a factor as about anything - maybe more of a factor than anything else.....