Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Reloading Benches

Jerome Poiret

• Replies 1.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Thanks all.

It took me a lot of time to build it and there are a few things that still need to be done.  The counter top which is recycled wood floor that I sanded down, re-stained and covered with about $250 worth of epoxy took the most time.  The fridge was a hard requirement because it's on the second floor of my house, it was frustrating to find out that built in mini-fridges cost almost the same as the full size one in my kitchen.   I realized that I spent a lot of time reloading and working on guns and wanted a nice place to do that instead of being out in the garage.  Now that its been done for a while, its been one of the best investments of my life.  Same statement is true for the 1050, had I known how much easier it would make my life I would have bought it 5 years ago.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
3 minutes ago, Mike62 said:

There is a guy on ebay that sells it. It works okay.  I think in hindsight I would just but a mount for the wall.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Primer-Tube-Rack-hold-10-pick-up-tubes-on-Dillon-Case-Feeder-Press-650-1050-550-/131677438264?hash=item1ea8964138:g:fG8AAOSwo6lWKphW

I have that one also.  It works really well, just be careful about tightening the set screws too tight.

• 8 months later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Wow, as a new member to this forum yesterday, I spent the day looking over the forum and reading many different threads. Then I found this thread, and I spent the remainder of my evening going through many of the 59 pages here  (Not reading everything), but, to see what others were doing in their reloading rooms. 

I am setting up a NEW reloading room from scratch in a converted utility room in my residence and was trying to figure out what I wanted to do? I have a Dillon 650 press currently with plans to add an additional press or two.Not all at once of course. I wanted to figure out how best way to set up for better functionality and ease of reloading etc. I got some GREAT ideas here. Thanks for sharing all, I will be sure to post up my room when I finally get it set up.  Glad to be a part of this forum and look forward to learning and sharing some of my thoughts and experiences.

• 3 weeks later...

Oh hey, I never posted mine. Seems like a good time as I just recently re-worked a few things to make it more usable.

I'm dealing with pretty limited space (about 38" of my garage workshop) and can only push out about 2 feet before I start having problems fitting between this bench and the workbench on the opposite wall that all of my power tools are on. Solution? Go upward, young man!

38635509146_72268a565f_c.jpg

38691958321_942080bb49_c.jpg

38659575892_475329fed8_c.jpg

The base of the bench is a Harbor Freight tool chest with the casters removed and a slab of wood added to the top. The wood got a coat of black Glidden trim and door gel paint – it dries akin to an epoxy paint – and then was screwed into the wall studs using L-brackets for stability. Both the SDB and 650XL are chilling on Inline Fabrication UltraMounts, the former also sporting their bin system. I added an eye-level shelf that my powder scale sits on and a higher, storage shelf that holds my spare toolheads. Both of those were painted with that same gel paint. The lower shelf also has an Ikea gooseneck LED lamp that I point at whichever press I'm using. 

Directly beneath the lower shelf is a section of Gladiator rail with bins. Typically I'll store a handful of decapped/resized brass for whatever calibers I'm loading in these so I can grab one if a case gets mangled mid-cycle. Mounted to the bottom of the lower shelf is a magnetic bar  that's perfect for tool storage, which usually amounts to a set of Allens, a pair of pliers, and a wrench. The bench itself stores load books, storage boxes, tools, spare press parts, funnels, etc, in the drawers. The very bottom of it is weighted down by my brass containers, boxes of bullets, and powders.

It's a pretty concise and effective setup. I wish I had a little more real estate on the bench top but we work with what we have. It also forces me to keep everything clean.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Here's my little corner of handloading heaven in my garage. Thinking about moving it into a spare bedroom 'cause it gets pretty darn toasty in there during the Texas summer. The benches are by Seville and I bought them through Sam's Club for about $200 each. They are fairly stable with adjustable leveling feet though I do have the press bench L-bracketed to studs. The press bench top is 1.75" thick laminated wood - heavy and strong. The other bench has a 1.5" thick top with drawers, pegboard, built in light and power strip.

From the looks of some of these other setups I need to start building my press collection!?

IMG_3956.jpg

IMG_3957.jpg

On 5/18/2018 at 12:31 PM, HalRex said:

Here's my little corner of handloading heaven in my garage. Thinking about moving it into a spare bedroom 'cause it gets pretty darn toasty in there during the Texas summer. The benches are by Seville and I bought them through Sam's Club for about $200 each. They are fairly stable with adjustable leveling feet though I do have the press bench L-bracketed to studs. The press bench top is 1.75" thick laminated wood - heavy and strong. The other bench has a 1.5" thick top with drawers, pegboard, built in light and power strip.

From the looks of some of these other setups I need to start building my press collection!?

IMG_3956.jpg

IMG_3957.jpg

Your camera must be messed up... that press looks green instead of blue! ?

5 hours ago, jhgtyre said:

Your camera must be messed up... that press looks green instead of blue! ?

I didn't know any better!? RCBS is what the small gun shop near my house carries. He made me a deal as well as giving me a walkthrough on setting it up and making it work.