Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

What states still have a 10 round mag capacity law?

Chills1994

You wouldn't think I'd still have to put out reminders about the forum rules on this :angry2: :

Politics

Policy or political debates of any kind are not welcome.

Specifically including (but not limited to):

USPSA vs IPSC

IPSC vs IDPA

STI vs SVI

Limited 10 vs Limited Class

This Division vs That Division

This Government vs That Government

This is not a free speech issue. As a privately funded and collectively ran "information exchange," we have found that the emotional nature of political discussions weakens the informative impact of the Forum.

hey now, see you guys are gonna get me in trouble. I was just curious about some things and my dang thread gets moved.

So what happens if you're a resident of another state and you're driving through one of those "slave states" on your way to a match with your gun(s) and gear and you have an 11 round mag or a 15 round mag and you get caught?

Are you totally hosed then or what?

Flex does that mean I can't post that when we finally get pissed off and take over Canada we get good beer and hunting and they get hi caps? Probably happen right after we make Mexico a state.. hell half that country is all ready here should be lots of open land down there for a nice range.

Barry,

I was wondering how some of the guys over at the koko head range get by the 10 round issue. never been there when they had a match but keep hearing about it. all this time i keep thinking, "Man open 10 sounds like it'll suck" :huh: .

Yosh,

Yeah it kinda sucks in the beginning however everyone is on even ground (re: capacity) so shooting/reloading ability counts a lot more ;)

That's why I spend my $$$ on traveling to those states that allow me to make full use of my equipment :D

It's not that big of an issue here, hope it won't spread to anywhere else then that would really suck.

Barry B)

So what happens if you're a resident of another state and you're driving through one of those "slave states" on your way to a match with your gun(s) and gear and you have an 11 round mag or a 15 round mag and you get caught?

Are you totally hosed then or what?

You are SUPPOSED to be protected under Federal law - but in practice, it might not count.

Since 1986, Federal law allows you to travel THROUGH any state or the District with any firearm, without regard to local/state laws, provided that:

1) you keep moving except for gas station stops & possibly the drive-through at McD's and

2) the firearms are unloaded, cased, and locked in the trunk and

3) the firearms are lawful for you to own in the state where you began the journey & your destination state.

Simple enough, right?

Well, the head of D.C.'s Metro Police is on record in the Washington Post as saying a non-resident of D.C. MUST drive around D.C. with any gun (in effect -he ignores federal law). And apparently, there are issues with transiting through LaGuardia airport in New York that may violate the letter and/or the spirit of the federal laws on this issue. Magazines are supposed to be part of the firearm (they are counted as a "part" of the gun by BATFE for determining import legalities). But since there is already disagreement on peaceable journey, I would not count on the law or local LEO interpretation of it.

If you are concerned, try your best to follow the law & possibly dis-assemble the mags too - since they MIGHT not be covered under mag restrictions as merely being "mag parts."