Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

What states still have a 10 round mag capacity law?

Chills1994

California,Hawaii and I think Massachusetts have restrictions to 10rnd mags

some cities in Ohio, Illinois have restrictions to 10rnd mags..

and I think their is some restriction on mag capacity in Maryland and New Jersey..something like 15 and 20rnds.

probably Washington DC has something too.

Edited by eerw

Washington DC has something too.

Any possession of any gun part by a non-resident of D.C. is a felony. This includes magazines of any capacity. Possession of ammunition or any ammunition component is a felony. Yes, this means a single FIRED 9mm shell casing you possess in D.C. will result in a felony charge for "Unregistered Ammunition" (I am not making this up). Only D.C. residents may possess parts or magazines, but only for rifles or shotguns that they have previously registered with the D.C. police. Registered shotguns or long guns must be dis-assembled inside the home in D.C. Assembling the shotgun/long gun & carrying it from one room of your house to another is a felony in D.C.

Seem a little extreme? Let's all hope the Supreme Court agrees and does the right think in the Parker case this October.

Edited by Carlos

CA, HI, and MA have 10 mag laws

NJ has a 15 round mag law

MD has a 20 round mag law (no 21 round grams mags for my limited gun :blink: )

And yes, lets all hope and pray that the Parker case is heard by the supreme court (they don have to hear it if they decide not to), AND they rule the lower courts ruling was correct, AND lets further hope in their findings on that ruling they clear up that the 2nd amendment DOES grant individual gun ownership rights. Then we can start dismantling all of the BS gun bans. This is a HUGE deal, and most of the US will probably not even know how potentially precarious this could be for everyone in this country and their rights as citizens.

Dang, got me started again (please refer to my last rant in the "hate" section for my true feelings on this matter).

here is a copy of our high-capacity magazine sales guide

CAlifornia-10 rounds

maryland-20 rounds

Massachusetts-10 rounds, unless you possess a high capacity magazine license

New Jersey-15 rounds

Washington,DC-10 rounds

City of South Bend, Indiana-10 rounds

City of Chicago, Illinois-12 rounds

City of Aurora, Illinois-15 rounds

City of Wichita, Kansas 20 rounds

City and County of Denver, Colorado-21 rounds

Hawaii-10 rounds for pistol only, no round limit on rifle mags

various Cities in Ohio used to have ordnances regarding high capacity magazines, but in March 2007 a statewide law went into effect prohibiting cities from passing firearms ordnances more stringent than state law. It is currently being appealled, but for now everyone in Ohio can have high cap mags :ph34r:

MA, NY - Extension of federal ban - it it wasn't legal beween 92 and 04, it still isn't, pre-federal ban >10 round mags require still require a state gun license. Legal to buy pre-ban < 10 round mags if you have a MA LTC-A (handgun mags), or LTC-A or LTC-B (rifle mags).

HI - 10 rounds, no grandfathering (Dillon notes "handgun only" on this limit)

CA - 10 rounds, grandfathering only for magazines on personally posessed in CA prior to the Caliban. A visitors match exemtpion exists for so-called assault weapons, but not for > 10 round magazines.

MD - 20 rounds

NJ - 15 rounds

Okay, so basically if you live in:

Hawaii

California

New Jersey

and most likely Maryland

YOU ARE screwed if you want to shoot Open, because as I understand it there is currently no Open 10 division. Is that correct?

Hawaii

California

New Jersey

and most likely Maryland

YOU ARE screwed if you want to shoot Open, because as I understand it there is currently no Open 10 division. Is that correct?

Move to Missouri!

I can help you with THAT! :cheers:

FM

This actually gives rise to some interesting questions:

1. It is sportsmanlike conduct to use a magazine in competition that some of your opponents cannot legally buy at any price (in this case, a CA resident with "personally pre-owned" magazines competing against out state visitors?
  2. It is sportsmanlike conduct to use a magazine in competition that your opponents may not legally posess? Consider the case of an LEO with 26 round open magazines in NJ, HI, MD or any of the various localities with non-grandfathered limits on capacity.

Hawaii is 10 rounds for handgun magazines... that includes rifle magazines that fit in pistols ( AR-15, 10/22, M1 carbine). To make matters worse we have local stores that sell 30 round magazines for the AR-15, but no one in the Government is willing to say that they are legal to insert in a rifle. No one wants to be the test case.

This actually gives rise to some interesting questions:
  1. It is sportsmanlike conduct to use a magazine in competition that some of your opponents cannot legally buy at any price (in this case, a CA resident with "personally pre-owned" magazines competing against out state visitors?
  2. It is sportsmanlike conduct to use a magazine in competition that your opponents may not legally posess? Consider the case of an LEO with 26 round open magazines in NJ, HI, MD or any of the various localities with non-grandfathered limits on capacity.

Not to open the old wound, and I know Rob is THE L-10 guy, so I am just poking the bear, but the rest of the FREE world still thinks it is "unsportsmanlike conduct" to allow a "beginner" division to be pilaged by trophy hunters. Put another way, it's GROSSLY unsportsmanlike (as in seeking REAL competition) to FORCE a division on all of us in hopes of getting a few beginners from four slave states. Hey let's give it it's own nationals too!!! :wacko:

poking the bear mode off. :lol:

Front Man wrote:

Move to Missouri!

I can help you with THAT!

Yes you can, now that you passed that Real Estate Exam.

Now, now, boys and girls, let's not completely spiral this thread down into a "Why do we still have a Limited 10 division?" thread.

Let's play nice.... 'kay?

sorry the humor / common sense fuse blew. It does that sometimes.

I'm sorry.... I know we need L10 to keep shyster Gunstore commandos in business so they can sell 12 round .40 & .45's to unsuspecting beginners telling them how it's THE L10 gun. Shame on them, not us. I know the L10 creationists had the best of intentions when they said "let there be only 10".

I'm out. :cheers:

o allow a "beginner" division to be pilaged by trophy hunters

Yeah, I remember when Andy Hollar stated production was "intended for beginners". I guess Sevigny, Olhasso and a few others didn't get the memo :).

Yeah or Robbie, and TJ. :blink:

I don't think any division should have a beginner "label" on it, and should stand on it's own as unique and challenging. As for L10, I just hate to see newly recruited beginners or IDPA guys cross over and face full on race rigs when they were told / sold they had "the motz". I see it all the time, you know the guns I mean. It's just sad. And it's not limited to USPSA either. Like when you see a brand new 98# woman at her first IDPA match with a NIB Glock 27, and +P ammo cuz some asshat sold it to her as "the best gun for IDPA".

Those shysters should get bitch slapped for that.

They pass another mag ban and tell me I can't load up, I'll still shoot. :cheers:

Food for thought on this issue:

-About two years ago, I had dinner with a rep from SigArms after he showed up for a "Sig Night" promotion event. He asked if we knew which state comprised the largest buying segment for Sig?

A: California

He then explained that no matter WHAT legal hurdles that the California legislature put in the way of selling SigArms in California, Sig would try as hard as it could to make Sig products comply with California's laws.

Its really simple dollars and "sense."

IMHO, USPSA ignores the California "market" of potential shooters at great risk to the future of the sport.

Let's hope that whoever gets elected will do all he can to grow the sport among the literally millions of American handgun owners who have never shot a USPSA competition.

You're forgetting the 53rd State - Canada. 10 rounds, period, for handguns.

5rds for semi auto rifles, except the Garand M1. But if they make a Pistol mag (ie RRA AR style mag) then it's legal.

No limit for bolt action rifles or slide action shotguns.

You're forgetting the 53rd State - Canada. 10 rounds, period, for handguns.

Yup. Your representatives put in provisions for a "high cap license for competitive shooters", however, the announcement was "The interests of public safety outweigh the legitimate needs of competition shooters, therefore, no such licenses shall be issued" (close, from memory). Naturally, this possibility was not discussed when the "license bone" was thrown to placate the competitors opposing C68.

When Lorne Rowe, then active in IPSC Ontario spoke before parliment or a committee thereof regarding the impact of gun laws on competition shooters, one of the conditions imposed on him was that he could not address the impact of the magazine capacity issue.

This should serve as an important less on about trusting gun banning politicians. Also, once the C68 gun law was passed the usual group of antis was on the scene with active lobbying against the issuance of any high cap licenses. Throw in the fact that processing such licenses would mean additional work for provincial authorities, and you've got a recipie for disaster.

Hawaii

California

New Jersey

and most likely Maryland

Not really screwed, at least everyone else will be shooting 10 rds (Open/Ltd) even l.e.o.'s. At least we get to practice reloading a lot :lol:

In Hawaii, this law has been in effect for quite awhile and I haven't seen anyone prosecuted for having a rifle mag that fits in a pistol. We also have a ban on "assault pistols". This law that has been around for just as long. So....if you can't get an AR or AK pistol then your rifle mag has no pistol to go in to ;)

We, Five-O on Maui, haven't been assigned to go and "harass" law abiding citizens on whether their over 10rd rifle mags fit in a pistol.

Just my .02

Barry B)

Barry,

I was wondering how some of the guys over at the koko head range get by the 10 round issue. never been there when they had a match but keep hearing about it. all this time i keep thinking, "Man open 10 sounds like it'll suck" :huh: .