Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

j1b

j1b

So this is the part you have to love. And I've been on both sides BTW.

The side where you're nervous as a "professional" in church. And the side where tomorrow's match is just another day.

See, in less than 12 hours I'll be competing. Actually, for me, it's a tick less than 11 hours. I'm not nervous, but I am anxious with anticipation.

That is the beauty. That's what this is about. I can look back and wish I'd dry fired more. Maybe even got in a practice session or two (though I consider the indoor match more practice than competition). The rear view mirror is tough for me - the "wishes" mean nothing. The "knowing" from years past means everything.

I love it. I love how it feels, how it invigorates, how it restores, how it erases a crappy week. I love the drive in the morning, the dust in the hand that means I'm going to shoot soon, the few dry draws I do to relax, the first sight picture I see on a match target as I "load and make ready", and finally - the beep.

It's all in less than 11 hours - and I won't sleep well because I can't wait.

You can't buy that.

J

• Replies 233
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

So jtipping and turbo23 inspired me tonight. I haven't dry fired in weeks but I liked the questions they brought up and decided to get up and dryfire (their threads were the <5yrd draw and reloads)

So the drill was simple. I wanted to work two things - draws and reloads (ok a little transition work too).

Two targets, 7 yards out, about 3 yards apart. Full targets - nothing fancy. I started off with draws and for giggles and grins, and to appease Merlin's point, I punched 1.2 on the par time and just did two shot draws focusing on points. That went well. I liked that some of my early observations when first started to shoot the XD were gone. Gun came out of the holster crisp. Thumbs found their position easily. I didn't really feel it, I just noticed it during the session. One observation, I was coming in on the targets low and, being a production shooter, was having to work a little to get the shots into the A zone. I remember a trick Rob taught me when I first started shooting IPSC - put a stick in front of you, about a foot in front of the middle of your chest. The gun has to come over that. So I start doing that (imaginary stick) and poof - gun is mounting right in the A zone. Amazing - I've been doing this for years and my mistakes when first starting still rear their ugly head. Still - problem solved. Easy to do and works. The 1.2 time was perfect. Smooth, relaxed, and the A's came easy.

So then I decide to do a draw, hit both targets, reload and hit both targets. I figure 3 seconds is a comfortable place to start. Things are rough instantly. My reloads are not smooth. Not looking the mag in, not relaxed, not smooth. Sure, I nailed a few but most were less than stellar. I'm still making par though - and for some odd reason I decide 2.5 seconds is a better time even with the poor reloads. Then, almost instantly, things get better. Yes, I still flubbed some loads but they were coming around much better. Points were good and making the par time really right on the number.

Ok - my issue is my reloads. And while they get better, they aren't where I want them to be. Specifically with consistency but even the ones I'm hitting aren't where I want them. The logical solution? Take the time down.

I decided that for a brief stint, I'd focus on just getting points on the paper (not all A's) and I'd focus on just killing the time. 2.2 on the clock and off to the races. That really helped. Again, I need consistency on the loads but they were really getting better. Things were progressing and I realized the faster I made the clock the more I focused on being smooth. When the time was higher I was more deliberate. Which apparently isn't comfortable for me. The faster the time the more I realized I had to be smooth, the less deliberate I could be, the better the reloads.

My intent was to then take the clock back up to 2.5 and just drill this thing in. But on my last 2.2 par time the beep came, the draw was smooth, transitions were good (kept the arms indexed very nicely) the reload came very easily, and then the final transition. All A's - like drilled A's. Was right at the time (so it could have been a 2.3 or so). But it felt really good. And I was amazed at how easily it came. Just popped the gun up there and along she went.

I opted to quit then. All A's - a good run (who knows in reality but for me it felt good).

Thanks to jtipping and turbo23. Both of you put a thought into my head that empowered me to get out there.

The drills were basic and fun.

J

• 2 weeks later...

Edited

I've saved my original post for me. Read it today and it was good (for me). It wasn't shooting related anyhow. Good to vent though and air some frustrations. Sorry Jane!!!

J

Edited by j1b

DON'T YOU TOUCH A WORD OF THAT POST!!!

You said you were uninspired and yet you inspired. Very few men are honest with their feelings and when they want to be they can't seem to find the words. You have found both in your post and it is beautiful.

I see the soul of a man. How refreshing! You're a wolf howling at the moon. I think all of us can relate to that. Find a way to feed your soul. Find a way to feed the desires of your heart. It may not be Alaska...but perhaps a trip to the woods hunting might help...or a camping trip...you'll know what to do. Find a way out of the cage you feel yourself to be in.

Jack...I think your cool, hang in there.

Match tomorrow night. The indoor match - which last time I wasn't prepared for and didn't shoot so hot.

One good thing, I know it's tomorrow night. That'll help - since last time I found out last minute and scrambled to get there (hoping I had the ammo!)

It occured to me that for many of you a local match is a local match and that is what it is. I used to be that way too. I like how every match is like a blessing these days. Any opportunity to shoot is a great opportunity.

So dry fire tonight was interesting. Knowing I was shooting tomorrow. This range diary has continued to come in handy as I "remember" to not scoop the gun and to raise it over the "stick". Reload continue to be an opportunity - but tonight I figured something out.

I was screwing around with my SS .45 earlier, just playing, and noticed how easy the reloads were. Smooth and relatively fast. And it hit me that over the years, reloading a SS has always been more challenging than open or limited (wide body). Simply put, some guns are easier to reload. I'm shooting my XD tomorrow and I realized that for now, I've got to accept that uber fast reloads aren't in the cards. If I hit one, cool. But this isn't going to be like an open gun for the short term at least.

Knowing reloads are a challenge I worked them over pretty good and found that one fundamental issue is that I tend to lock the front of the mag on the front lip of the "mag well". It's been killing me! So instead of focusing "just on the mag well" like I have over basically my whole shooting life, I focused on the back of the mag well. A very specific spot. I even put a dab of white out on it. That really made a difference for consistency. I'm hoping I can keep that through tomorrow night because it does help. It isn't the fastest ever, reloads in production for me are almost excruciating right now. I put a 1 second par time on the clock and giggled after the first one. Even if I hit it, it ain't there (right now). What I do need is consistency. Hopefully I can hit the back of the mag well tomorrow night - that'll be smooth and relatively quick.

Will update the diary tomorrow with results.

J

Edited by j1b

Ok match. Not great. Not overly smooth.

Boofed the classifier (again!!). I think it's interesting how dense I can be sometimes. I've shot 3 matches in the last - oh - call it 10 weeks. Of the 12 stages I've shot, I've had two misses. Both those misses came on stages with a common component - weak hand shooting.

Though tonight was much, much better. I flubbed the load, and when bringing the gun back up punched the shot off on the outer D zone of the target. The gun was moving left - I knew as soon as it broke that the shot was a miss (virginia count stage). So, I wish I hadn't missed but I'll deal with it. The rest of the shots went well. TIme, I'm sure, was slow. **edited** did the classifier score thing. 69%. If I replace that miss with a C - 85%. Fix the muffed reload . . . and who knows ***

First stage went ok. I really tried to dial in the points and still ended up shooting a C on the first target. On to a partial and was very concious about getting points. Two B's though. About half an inch apart and about 3/4 an inch below the A. Wasn't what I wanted but getting better.

Reloads tonight were ok. Still need work.

Last stage (there were only 3) went ok. It was a balance beam one like at nationals. I was conservative, dropped three points. Just kind of got my way through the stage.

I'm anxious to get out on dirt and shoot an outdoor match. Something about shooting indoors that doesn't quite feel as right.

It's all coming along. Work to do of course. But getting there.

J

Edited by j1b

• 2 months later...

Finally got to shoot tonight.

It was a touch hellish at work today, so a match was the perfect answer.

Didn't do a lot to prepare for the match. A little dry fire last night, and then a few dry draws at the match. Felt ok though so I went in with a positive attitude.

As I drove down I was eerily focused on shooting points. Just remember thinking how important it would be to get those points tonight. And in last night's dry fire session I was feeling my way through some reloads and such. And I just knew that if I didn't rush anything that things would be plenty fast.

This is an indoor range we shoot at on Monday nights and the stages are fun. Cramped a little, which puts added emphasis on being smooth. If you flub a load here, you're going to feel the pain because there isn't much movement between positions.

So the first stage had a nice dilemma that forced a little concentration. Not a huge deal, but a little engagement challenge that made things interesting. First stage wasn't overly smooth. Had it been a major match, it wouldn't have put me down the score sheet too much. But it definitly wouldn't have been a stage win either. Overall the stage was pretty smooth and I felt ok about things. I knew there was about 2 seconds in it that could have been pulled. And yeah, I know that's a lot, but I also know it was there and I gave myself a little leeway with not having shot in a couple months.

Second stage I took about 3 hours setting up on the first shot, and then stopped on a group of targets I should have been moving on. Overall though, the stage went well. I actually walked away almost pleased. I was glad I had the patience on that first target to get the points. Relatively smooth loads, and decent points. Overall in the whole match I dropped too many points still, but it was a vast improvement over last time. And this is, as I've stated, a process for me. To see improvement is wonderful. Had 4 C's on the first stage, 3 C's on the second. With a few partial targets, I have to recognize that at times a point or two will be dropped.

Last stage was the classifier and I definitly dropped WAY too many points there. In addition, had a light strike on a primer that I suspect must have been raised a little. After the stage I dropped the round in and out the barrel it went. It's the first light hit I've had with the gun and again I think it must have been the primer. Had 9 C's here, and that is just too many.

The classifier was my worst stage overall. No doubt improvement needs to happen there. It came in at a wopping 67%. And it was the only stage where I believed I gave up on points. I lost my focus and through some shots out of the A zone. It was another weak hand stage but I was not really over anxious. Still, my patience was not there and that'll need some work.

Ended up winning the match. Second place was a solid A class shooter that was shooting limited. He was 95% of me though I don't know exactly what kind of match he had.

Truth is I was glad to get out and blast a little. And that classifier, as I drove home, helped me realize that at a national match it would have hurt me - but it wouldn't have killed me. Yes, I know every point matters. Trust me, I've lost a national match or two by less than 20 points so those things definitly hurt. But at the end of the day there was a slight issue that could have been prevented (the light primer hit) and the points alone wouldn't have ended the match for me.

As I look towards possibly shooting nationals this year it's comforting to first be shooting so early in the year and second it's nice to start feeling a little more like my old self on the stages. I'm not there yet, and maybe never will be, but a couple of those stages tonight were decent enough to know that getting "there" is within sight. And that alone should be reason to celebrate.

J

Edited by j1b

Oh yeah. I had a blast tonight too. Did I forget to mention that?

Dry fired about 20 minutes after the match just dialing in. And a match at Old Fort on Sunday - that'll be cold - but fun.

I'm working to get my meeting schedules down for September now. If there's no travel - I'll be seeing some of you at Nats!!!!! Yes, I wish it was the 10 year anniversary versus the 11 year anniversary. But who cares? A match is a match right? And the good news is a match is just a match. As far as I'm concerned Old Fort on Sunday IS nationals!

J

I just re-read my post from last night.

"getting there is in sight" and then "I may never get there"

Jesus - do I have multiple personalities or something?

It's about the shooting. Not about "getting there" wherever the hell that is. Yes there's rust. That's ok. Focusing on anything outside of just shooting is rediculous. The rust will come off if I focus on the right things.

I'm glad I shot last night. And I shot well. Need to improve. That's it.

Anything else is just mumbling BS that tries to occupy space in my own mind. There are no vacancies.

J

• 1 month later...

Shot a decent match today.

Stage 1 was a simple little field course with a plate rack. It was cooler in the morning, about 43 degrees. I was a little slow, transitions were definitly slower than I'd like. Splits were adequate. Not speedy by any means, but I've never believed a match was won or lost because a person shot .13 splits instead of .19's. I get that there's time there - but it's just not high on my totem pole. Shot the plates clean, couple of popers etc. Dropped a couple of points but overall it was ok.

Stage 2 had my favorite prop. A texas star - have I mentioned I hate those things? Ironically I was looking at it thinking to myself I wasn't sure if I'd ever cleaned one. I can check that off the to do list. I don't know how fast it was, in terms of the star specifically, but I know it was faster that two or three makeups - so that was good. On this stage my movement was also decent. Set up on targets well, activated poppers the way I wanted to. The only thing I noticed was on one bank of targets I was dialed into the A's and got them. Did the star, and then moved to a final group of three targets. Dropped a few points there. Now one was a partial and I've resolved that at times I'm just going to drop points on partials. But I did find it interesting when I was focused on A's I got them. When I was less focused on them, I got less of them.

Stage 3 was a tricky little booger. Nothing that stands out here. Needed to work on my reloads, but overall it was adequate. And as I contemplate it, this is the type of stage I could likely lose a match with. Because there wasn't anything spectacular about it. At nationals, I could see the run I shot today losing 20-30 points having done really nothing grossly wrong, but having done nothing overly spectacular. Of today's stages, this was probably my worst.

Stage 4 went well. The longest field course. Complex with a lot of solutions needed. Felt like I battled my way through it. Wasn't the smoothest stage for me. Lots of choppy movement that I didn't position myself 100% well for. Did hit a great popper on the move, and that was fun. Little polish would have helped the stage, but I didn't feel like I killed myself on it. When Tiger talks about grinding, this stage was grinding for me. Yeah it could have been better, but I grinded my way through it and in the end it all worked out. Had one D though, that was dissappointing.

Stage 5 was a classifier. Had 3 C's - 2 were 1/8" outside of the A and about 2" apart (vertically). Pisses me off when I do that. I thought my draw on the stage was good. Transitions on the first 3 targets were agonizing. Reload was poor. Not a disaster, but definitly not great. Final three targets were decent though.

Stage 6, last stage, I shot ok. I RO'd up until I shot, so I handed the clock off knowing my game plan but forgetting one component of my gamble. The stage had 11 shots from the first box. 3 of those shots were steel. I knew I had to be very attentive to the sights to pull off the gamble of not doing a static load. Everything went fine though. I was pleased. The issue is in my walk thru's I was very attentive to needing to rack the slide after the load. Unfortunately I spaced this in the stage. If I'd just walked through once before the stage I know I would have caught it - but I didn't. So I didn't. And that was that.

Overall synopsis. Transistions need work. I could really see that today. Reloads continue to be an opportunity that I'll have to fix. Points - I just gotta stay focused throughout the match. The times when I was dialed into the A's they came almost at will. So That is easily fixed. And then just some polish. A little herky Jerky here and there. Overall the match was very well set up. Lot's of options on how to shoot the stages and lot's of challenging scenarios. Lot's of steel too. Overall I feel pretty good though. Had some good competition in the limited game and felt like I probably did ok against most of them. It's one of those days where I didn't really crank anything over the top - so someone could make up nickle and dime points on me all day long. But most people had a miss or a no-shoot, or a stumble etc. throughout the match. I didn't. It was fun just plugging along, and forcing the competition to catch up to you.

Fun day. Tired though. Got back from overseas on Friday night. A little R&R yesterday. And then the match today. So wasn't as physically crisp as I'd like to be. But that Diet Coke from McDonalds was really awesome this morning (for some reason) and woke me up pretty good.

J

Got scores back today.

Went ok. Would've won limited and production. Wouldn't have even touched the open guys though. Beat me on every stage! I'll probably go in and try to figure out where I would have placed in open - but I'm guessing third or fourth.

Felt good to be competitive in limited though. And the winner in that class is an A shooter and had only one miss for the day. So it doesn't (on paper) look like he shot too bad.

Classifier score came in at 96%, which was better than expected. I really didn't think it went that well. Restores a little faith in the transition concerns - though based on what I saw this classifier must be easy to crank out a high percentage on. I know I fumbled my reload, and I know my transitions on the first three targets could have been better. That's probably 2-3 tenths of a second!

One of the scores showed 21 points in penalties :surprise: Needless to say I didn't have them.

Overall a pretty solid match I think. A good foundation match, A LOT to improve on. I really felt there was a lot left on the table. Second place in production was 90% of my score. I'm sure the 21 points hurt my score a little, but 90% is nipping at the heals if you ask me. And the limited score was 97% of mine - which is really very close as well.

I do enjoy the challenge of shooting against better equipment. Especially this match where a bunch of loads were needed. I do recognize that if a GM limited shooter were there though, they'd have spanked the living hell outta me. So gotta keep getting better!

This all becomes important from a comparison perspective (to me). I remember once I shot two guns at a match in Tucson. I shot a pretty decent open match, then broke out the SS and shot again. I won the match in open, my limited score was 94% of my open score. I was third in the match. So I know that Sevigny beats high caliber GM limited shooters. And I know yesterday I most likely would not have. While pleased, I have to keep getting better. Much better. Nationals is just around the corner. Arkansas Sectionals are rounding the bend too - where I assume Mr. Mink will be. Looking at all of this, I know I've got work to do before being competitive again.

Sure is fun though. And it was good to just put in a solid match that can be built on.

J

I do enjoy the challenge of shooting against better equipment.

I like this part of your post Jack because I can connect with it - I'm the same way and it's one reason I like running the stock guns.

Good entry - Keep up the progress.

I do enjoy the challenge of shooting against better equipment.

I like this part of your post Jack because I can connect with it - I'm the same way and it's one reason I like running the stock guns.

Good entry - Keep up the progress.

Thanks Bryan!

I was trying to figure out what the bigger deal was between SS and Production. There was really one stage where I felt I had a capacity advantage. Obviously they had a power factor advantage. I didn't really come to a conclusion on it, but figured out for sure that between the two there are distinct disadvantages against the field.

I'm one that really reviews match results. I like truly understanding what makes a difference and what doesn't. I compared times, calculated load impacts etc. etc. The major vs. two extra was one I had a hard time putting a number to. Reviewing the results I had two D's though, and that needs to be fixed. And there were two stages where points dropped were just too high when shooting minor. So as always, work to be done.

Of course the match results have this "21" points in penalties that I know didn't happen. If you look at the overalls I was 6th. Take those points out and re-calculate the power factors etc. then I was 4th behind 3 open guys. Over 90%.

The new goal is to win the match in production. And I think that'll be very, very tough. The capacity advantage alone makes it so tough, combined with major scoring. I know I can't lose my focus on points.

I will tell you I was surprised at the classifier though. My time was 6 and change. The fastest was just a tick over 6. Knowing where I lost time, knowing I screwed the reload up etc. - I was very surprised. With an open gun, and these targets, should be an easy 5.5 - possibly sub 5 second drill. It's easier than an el-prez with the exception of having to draw while standing up. Like I said, I think this classifier packs the field in. Hard to differentiate so hit factors come in high. Still, should have been a bigger delta there.

Anywho - Thanks Bryan. It's been fun. I really needed a day to shoot and had a blast. 6 stages that overall were relatively solid helped out. Knowing there were things left on the table helps out more (read - knowing what to work on)

Just gotta get that W in a tough environment. Then I'll know things are starting to click like the ol' days.

J

• 2 months later...

Shot a match today. And it was, if nothing else, a blah day.

Blah because I wasn't feeling the competitive juices. I was there to shoot, but not compete, which is the side I enjoy more. I've been watching the US Open over the past several days and relishing every minute (this is possibly the best golf tournament I've ever watched) and I guess I was hoping to catch a little of that at the match. But to no avail. I felt no competitiveness at the match what so ever. I didn't even calculate scores to see if anything was close. I shot ok my first stage, screwed up my second stage, wondered if I could make up the 40 points lost on the second stage throughout the rest of the match, shot the third stage fairly well and decided it was a point of inevitablity that yes I'd make up the deficit and therefor I shouldn't worry about it.

Arrogance. That's how that reads (I know). But it wasn't arrogance to me. It was just the way things were. I didn't say those words. Didn't express them even. In fact, I felt regret for even having them because I WANTED to pay for those 40 points. And just didn't believe I would. Not just think I would - I didn't BELIEVE I would.

Hopefully the scores will reflect something different. I'll lose by 43 points and I'll feel those juices again. I shoot selfishly and yes, I want a base to compete with in my game. Sorry.

Shot ok. Dropped a few too many points overall. Because of the above comments I was actually a bit more concious shooter today than I'm used to. Stage one actually would have been a good stage had I not dropped too many points. Stage two was a blow up, and I knew I'd blow it up. It was, once again, the classifier. And it had weakhand and stronghand. And I sucked at it. I wonder when that component will be enough for me to practice a few days and get the rust knocked off there. It's not a huge deal - just sucks that if I'd improve on that part of my game then I'd really be fairly rounded out.

Stage 4 went ok. Good points. relatively smooth. Felt good.

Stage 5 was very much the same. A little off in terms of the smooth factor and was the stage where I really started losing my mojo for the match. Got through it. Dropped too many points. I knew it, knew I dropped too many points. But I wasn't mad. One ironic thing, to this point in the match there was no self talk - which is my TRADEMARK! I'll kill myself on points dropped, bad reloads, bad transitions - anything. This stage I knew I dropped the points and was much more aloof.

I also noticed it was the one stage I realized I wasn't "there" on. Because I shoot production I've felt so much need to be very engaged in the shooting. This stage was much less engagement and I suspect resulted in the points.

Onward to stage 6 - probably my worst field course. Not a disaster. Wasn't great. I got at or near the 180 on one target, was almost waiting for the RO to call me - but he didn't. Just kind of got through the stage. No biggie. After the second to last bank of targets I literally just disconnected. I was conciously pissed about getting close to the 180 and then again, I felt the match was going to end up how it was going to end up. So I just plopped some final shots on target and that was that.

I did self talk about the 180 - spent a little time reminding myself what was important about this sport. And regardless of whether or not I was or wasn't called - I knew I was there or close and I need to do better. That is it, and that is all.

An ok day. I'm really . . . dissappointed in my dispassionate attitude tonight regarding the match.

Perhaps tomorrow I'll have better perspective.

J

So, sometimes you just hope and pray for a situation like this. Because it is marvelous.

I lost. God what a blessing! I was third overall behind a limited gun . . . and a single stack gun. So I full out lost. And I have to tell you, while dissappointed, I'm also freakin' ecstatic. It proves me wrong and proves I gotta be better. I love it.

Lost to the single stack by 20 points or so. Close enough - and I had a capacity advantage over them! Granted in was minor versus major - still - that's cool.

Even more interesting is that technically I lost in production. In the overall results I beat the next produciton guy by a mere point. Peanuts. But, when production is seperated out then he beat me by 2 points.

I love that I got arrogant and cocky. I love that the match was blah. I love the little learnings that come from all of it. Because next time I get that gear on I'll hopefully feel a little vulnerability. A twinge of competitivness. A knowledge that it isn't mine for the taking - it must be earned!

What a blessing. I knew I was being arrogant in my post before and secretly I hoped it bit me in the ass. It did, and that's a blessing.

This is nearly exactly the medicine needed to cure that "blah" ailment!

J

• 5 months later...

THis could go in what I like -

I realized tonight I didn't have enough ammo for tomorrow's match. I had to scramble and load some - now I'm hoping that a couple hundred will get me through. Guess I'd better aim huh?

Read a quote the other day - something like "thank God for your dirty dishes, at least you had food . . . "

Same deal. I'm not really all that prepared for tomorrow night. It might be ugly (it may be great!) but at least I get to shoot.

Jack

THis could go in what I like -

I realized tonight I didn't have enough ammo for tomorrow's match. I had to scramble and load some - now I'm hoping that a couple hundred will get me through. Guess I'd better aim huh?

Read a quote the other day - something like "thank God for your dirty dishes, at least you had food . . . "

Same deal. I'm not really all that prepared for tomorrow night. It might be ugly (it may be great!) but at least I get to shoot.

Jack

That is a good one B)

Please pardon my ignorance. What IS j1b???

Trust me, that is NOT an ignorant question. Not certain I really know.

It's just a nickname. Not even a nickname, I guess it's just a screen name.

There's a story behind it but to be honest it's reasonably boring and very uneventful. Nevertheless I picked up this "nickname" and I guess it's just kind of stuck. I know when others see it it makes no sense. But it has worked for me, it fits me. So I've kept it. If for nothing else sentimental reasons.

Later on if I start a business or something it'll become a part of that too. Not necessarily name of company, but it'll represent some component of the company. Maybe it'll just represent me, as it has to date. I guess in that regard it'd become a trademark - but that's on down the road.

Jack

What a fun match.

I actually shot ok, particularly when you consider my last match was June 15th. That is the off and on that is Jack Barnes I guess.

Just a small indoor match. 3 stages. Nothing major.

I wasn't as good on points as I'd like - I had two D's tonight, nearly 3 (shooting production minor). And had several C's which were just a tick too many. There were a fair number of partials though - probably 70-80% of targets were partial in some way - and with being rusty I think it was ok to drop a few points.

I do have to acknowledge in a post on a thread Merlin was running that I was very "force the issue" and tonight I intended to go down that same path. Was very concious of needing points so I'm a little dissappointed I didn't come through. Merlin - I feel your pain brother!

Reloads tonight were shoddy. Poor actually.

Still overall the match was fun, I enjoyed myself and shot ok. No GM card in the mail, but that wasn't the point now was it ;)

Jack

I lost that damn match bigger than day!

It's a funny game ain't it?

I lost to a solid A class limited gun. Which isn't terrible. As with all things it takes time and comittment. I've given this sport neither over the past . . . oh . . . 10 years? Maybe 12? Just falling back on the first 10 years of complete dedication and comittment.

Anyhow, stage one we actually dualed out perfectly. I was a little quicker (about .4 seconds) and we shot the exact same holes on the targets (17 a's, 1 B, 3 C's, 1 D). He got a few more points for the C's and D so he won the stage by two points.

Stage two time was the same. I was 1/100 faster. So we were the same. I was better on hits, on 26 holes he had one more D and I had one more A. So again because of major he won on points and won the stage by a touch over 4 points.

Stage three my first excuse is a little jam. No a biggie, but I did have one quick failure to feed. So my fine competitor gets me by .45 seconds. I trade a C for his D, my shot on target are minimally better but power factor comes in and all of the sudden on the last stage I lose 8.5 points.

The optimist in me says a few months of layoff were a factor and this gets better quickly. I believe that.

The realist in me says I still left a ton of time out there and could easily improve on that. Dry fire a bit, and shave 4 or 5 secs off on reloads alone. I also know where the D's came from, and it was a bit rust oriented. Believe it or not, there is a bit of a tension challenge there. On every D I now know my tension was slightly different with those shots. Because I don't shoot as much it's difficult to keep this consistent. But EVERY D was a consistency issue that quite honestly I figure is measured in thousands of a second. This is one well worth exploring down the way. Tension may be the wrong word, just a slight difference in how I managed to steer the gun. I shot 3 D's last night, and I understand all of them.

A little 1000 grit sandpaper. Nothing harsh. I had so much fun last night. Finding out I lost tonight was simply a component of the match. Don't get me wrong, I came home from lunch looking for results. That is the most important thing.

My deal is that I shot 95% of my ability, and my ability is probably 90% of what it could be with a few practice sessions. That leaves me at 85% of my current potential. And probably 80% of future potential. To think that I can improve on my game, right now, today, by 20 percent AT MINIMUM, is encouraging.

Makes me feel like real potential really does exist out there.

Love this sport pumping through my blood.

Jack

My only challenge is the issue I put forth to Merlin in another thread. I ranted on having zero tolerance. I should have shot better points last night. As I knock the rust off, that'll become paramount to success. I understand how a solid open shooter can dominate a match, but if I do my job correctly limited should have little advantage.

"A" shooters are better than I was as a GM 10 years ago.

I found this comment fascinating. I have often wondered how the skill level of today's As and Ms and Gs compared to the Masters of years past - say the Seventies Masters. How would an A or Master of today fare, if the only criterion was skill level (we'll just factor "grace under pressure" out of the equation, for the purposes of discussion :lol:) if they could hop back into a time machine to, say, 1979 or 1980? 1985?

About a year ago I attended a course where, as part of the classroom work - and basically to keep people entertained during lunchtime - the instructor played the Robbie Leatham video Shooter Ready? He commented, "I can't imagine that today's competitors have a skill level much better than this," and, as the class token competition shooter, asked me what I thought. I had to tell him, "Well, at the time this video was shot, what you're seeing was absolute world class performance. But you have to remember this thing was shot in 1985. Robbie is much better today." Hell, today **I** can hit the reload speeds that Robbie was categorizing as "You'll never lose a match with those."