Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

What Do I Need To Turn A Basic P16.40 Into A Great Limited Gun?

Revopop

The issue I have had with the back sights is just what JFD had, plus I broke 2 of the pins on two different Para sights. I have always just e-mailed Para and got them to send me a new one for the old(they had wanted them back) with not a problem from Para.

If you are going to replace the back sight, I would go with a real Bo-mar if possible (Para sight cuts might be different so check).

I did break a factory bushing too, just happend to have a buddy shooting with me with a spare bushing in his bag. (I did have to buy a replacement from Brownells E.B. of course) And no JFD it is not the one on yours.

And to putting all that on your P16. I only added rough grit sandpaper to the front strap of the Para P-16s I shot (and still shoot) everything else is factory. The first one of them I had has well over 200k rounds through it and as far as I know I put one rear sight on it, one bushing and some recoils springs (seems like he has replaced the extractor now too). keep it clean, use a buffer and it'll go and go.

Hopalong

Let me add, just for the hell of it I shot mine two weeks ago and shot it just as well as my Benny Hill built STI.

Edited by hopalong

The issue I have had with the back sights is just what JFD had, plus I broke 2 of the pins on two different Para sights. I have always just e-mailed Para and got them to send me a new one for the old(they had wanted them back) with not a problem from Para.

If you are going to replace the back sight, I would go with a real Bo-mar if possible (Para sight cuts might be different so check).

I did break a factory bushing too, just happend to have a buddy shooting with me with a spare bushing in his bag. (I did have to buy a replacement from Brownells E.B. of course) And no JFD it is not the one on yours.

And to putting all that on your P16. I only added rough grit sandpaper to the front strap of the Para P-16s I shot (and still shoot) everything else is factory. The first one of them I had has well over 200k rounds through it and as far as I know I put one rear sight on it, one bushing and some recoils springs (seems like he has replaced the extractor now too). keep it clean, use a buffer and it'll go and go.

Hopalong

Let me add, just for the hell of it I shot mine two weeks ago and shot it just as well as my Benny Hill built STI.

I'm pretty sure there is a bomar made specificly for the para sight cut. I think I saw it on Dawson's web site.

While you are at it, get rid of that proprietary dove tail that Para uses and get a real dove tail milled in. Just pick out the front sight you want first and have the appropriate cut made.

Ken

I started with a para frame, before the STI were even out. By time I was done it cost as much as the STI and has very little resale value. Buy used STI and work from there. Also the PARA extractor is a minus instead of a plus.

Bought my P16-40 Limited back in 99. First thing to go was the extractor. Took it to Cylinder & Slide (I was living in Omaha so it was close) to have a new extractor put in. While it was there, I had them upgraded all the trigger components, put in a new bushing, and metal mag release button.

It stayed that way for many many years with zero problems.

Last year, I decided to send it off to Virgil Tripp to be hard chromed. When it came back, it wasn't running great (it just needed to break in). I took it to a local gun smith (Mike Caylor). He did a few upgrades to reduce trigger pull and stippled the grips.

Again it's running great with zero problems.

First picture is before chrome.

Second is after.

Only thing I wish I would have done different is add a Dawson ICE magwell vs the S&A one I added. Orginal intent was to also use this in IDPA; but I haven't shot an IDPA match in a while.

post-7808-1176427035.jpg

post-7808-1176427059.jpg